Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Schools in Whistler

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
What ski-schools are there in Whistler? I get the impression that it's a bit of a closed shop with only the official ski-school operating.

We're arriving in whistler with day 1 of skiing as 10th April, a friday. Trouble is we have a beginner with us whose ski-school doesn't start until monday and we want to arrange private lessons - the holiday company are telling us there is no availability of private lessons though.

So, any tips - google isn't throwing much up.

Sorry if this gets asked a lot, i tried a forum search and didn't find anything.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Whistler is indeed pretty mush a closed shop as far as I'm aware. I seem to recall *one* ski school not part of the giant Intrawest conglomerate, but I'm buggered if I can remember the name offhand, sorry
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fleetelise wrote:
What ski-schools are there in Whistler? I get the impression that it's a bit of a closed shop with only the official ski-school operating.

We're arriving in whistler with day 1 of skiing as 10th April, a friday. Trouble is we have a beginner with us whose ski-school doesn't start until monday and we want to arrange private lessons - the holiday company are telling us there is no availability of private lessons though.

So, any tips - google isn't throwing much up.

Sorry if this gets asked a lot, i tried a forum search and didn't find anything.

Privates are all bookable through the Ski School from either Mountain base. Unless they are completely sold out for Easter then you shouldn't have a problem. I'd think this is unlikely this far out especially with their poor season to date. Ring Central Reservations or find a recommendation here for a specific instructor to ask for (they'll appreciate it as they get more $ for request lessons)

Group lessons are available every day though so I'm not sure I understand the don't start til Monday point.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ah, I see what's happened. You;ve booked ski school through your tour op. When they say there's no prvate lessons, they mean they can't be bothered to arrange any for you/

As fatbob suggests, go direct to the whistler ski school. They have a freephone UK number if you have a look around.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes, we've gone through a tour Op as we wanted to tailor the holiday (a few days in vancouver followed by the remainder of the holiday Skiing in Whistler - we're actually staying in the Fairmont Chateau which seems to get good feedback)

I don't know why his booked lessons don't start until the monday - presumeably because we're skiing for nine days and ski school usually comes in 6 day packages I guess? I didn't do any of the booking though, so all I know is what I've been told by my girlfriend (who did do the booking), that the tour operator says there is no availability of group or private lessons until the Monday.

So, we faced with three days skiing with someone who only has a weeks skiing under their belt. Not a problem on the face of it as we're all friends, but I'm sure it will be frustrating for him at not being able to keep up or thinking that hes holding us back, or for us feeling like we're either taking him places he's no t capable of or feeling like we're being held back.

I'll try going direct to the ski-school and seeing what they say. Thanks all.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
fleetelise, I can't see why they don't start till Monday either! the ski school will be able to help, I'm sure.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You can hire instructors for private lessons any day you like. You can also do various types of group lessons on any day - it sounds like the tour op has booked you into a 'ski esprit' course, which means you will ski with the same instructor, and the same guests everyday - they have 3/4/5 day courses.

If you decided to book a private lesson - I personally know Patricia Flecks, an extremely good skier and instructor with an awesome personality - she speaks german and english - infact she will be a liaison for one of the german speaking teams (germany,austria,swiss) for the Olympics. She is very 'bubbly' and is a very popular instructor (so book ahead, as she is always busy with regulars)

Also, but this will NOT suit your beginner friend, but there is another company which offers tuition/guiding called Extremely Canadian. They focus on 'steep' skiing (teaching and guiding) and also offer 'private' lessons (you can have up to 5 people in a private, or all to yourself for the same price I believe). They are a separate company, however the instructors are 'employed' by Whistler Blackcomb for liability reasons. I HIGHLY recommend this course - great skiing, great times. Better pricing than equivalent from WB imo.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You can find out all about lessons here

http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/rentals/school/index.htm

If you can get them I can recommend this husband/wife team

http://www.gravityguides.com/about/

Great instructors and lovely people
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fleetelise, the small super group sessions are very good. we've done them a couple of times for an afternoon and found the instructors very good. (name was Ted Keirstead have his card if you want details )
depending on your level it might be worth considering
have a great time we just got back last week
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy