Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Quickest route between Les Arcs and Geneva Airport?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have to pick up some friends on Tuesday, any tips on the fastest route please?

I have to collect them from a flight arriving at 9.55am if that makes a differnence.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Blindside
You have 2 choices. If you stick (close to) the speed limit both take virtually the same time - ie about 2 to 2.25 hrs from Bourg St Maurice.

Option 1: Approx 150km from Bourg St Maurice. Slower roads than option 2 but cheaper on tolls. The route is a mix of single and dual carriageway to Albertville, dual carriageway to Ugine, single carriageway Ugine to Annecy, motorway Annecy to Geneva. The route along Lake Annecy is beautiful but can be slow going - and might have commuter traffic around the time of your run TO Geneva.

Option 2: Approx 200km from BSM. Faster roads than option 1 - all dual carriageway/motorway once you get to Moutiers - but dearer for tolls with it being much more motorway. From Albertville initially follow signs for Lyon (route goes via Chambery) then fork off for Geneva. If you absolutely hog it you can do option 2 about 20 or 30 mins faster than option 1 - though I have only managed that once when my basic hire car was upgraded free to a monster turbo-diesel four wheel drive jobbie where 180kph felt like 75kph.....Toofy Grin (The roads were also empty at the time.)

Why not break up the journey a bit by going there by option 1 and coming back by option 2 - which would be very scenic for your passengers?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mountainaddict wrote:
Blindside

Why not break up the journey a bit by going there by option 1 and coming back by option 2 - which would be very scenic for your passengers?

Hmm - exactly what I seem to do everytime I go to GVA, one way via the scenic route and t'other way via the lake.

One thing to watch for is that the last time I went Tom Tom (despite being updated) didn't have the cruseilles bypass programmed into it - no drama as long as you follow the signs and ignore the sat nav as it tends to get lost for that section - you can tell you're on it as the road / tolls looks really brand new..
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
cheers

I noticed that the Tom Tom struggled in one section on the way here from Chambery Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think you need to be a bit wary of Tom Toms round here; ours wants to send us on some very strange routes. It's fairly new to us, and we find it very useful or finding a post code in Birmingham, or whatever, and we were just using it round here out of curiosity, to see how it did. It didn't do well, and I was very glad I knew which way to go anyway and was able to ignore it.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If using a TomTom, do not select the quickest route, as it tries to take you via the Col de Ste Bernard. This means your transfer time will run into several hours as it is shut at this time of year (not done it myself, but I know at least two people who have wink )
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mountainaddict, is spot on. with the new by pass the difference is traffic in annecy so avoid that route during peak times, also you can hoon it on the toll roads so make up time there.

I did option 1 a couple times this year and it was very quick and almost as fast as the tolls.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Did option 1 on saturday 21st, left vallandry at 4.20pm arrived geneva departures at 7.05pm and took it reasonably easy. The traffic in annecy was a bit slow, and used the N road from annecy to geneva
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bertie bassett, What about speed cams on the route? I know a couple of my mates have been pinged in the tunnels between Chambery & Moutiers
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Martin Nicholas wrote:
bertie bassett, What about speed cams on the route? I know a couple of my mates have been pinged in the tunnels between Chambery & Moutiers

Dunno...I've not received a bill yet, and I've definitely been hitting it a little too hard in places...

Guvnor wrote:
If using a TomTom, do not select the quickest route, as it tries to take you via the Col de Ste Bernard. This means your transfer time will run into several hours as it is shut at this time of year (not done it myself, but I know at least two people who have wink )

Not had that problem myself from Peisey-Vallandry, my 730T routes me via the motorway if I want fastest route and if I want to 'avoid tolls' then it routes me up the side of the lake..
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
bertie bassett, Could be that you're further down the valley - I know of at leats two people who, when getting the quickest route to Villaroger, tried to come in via La Thuile and across the CdSB Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Blindside, We made it from Plan Peisey to GVA in 2hrs last Saturday, much to my amazement! We left the apartment at 7.45 to miss the traffic to Moutiers, & were returning the car to the rental place at 9.45, having refilled it with petrol. Couldnt believe how quick it was - no speeding, but we do have telepeage. We went to Chambery & then took the Mway to Geneva. Very easy & pleasant ride.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well I woke early to find about 20-30cm of fresh sbow. Great news, unless you have parked in the open (and free) car park by the Comborciere lift Smile So at 8am I skied down and spent 45 finger numbing minutes trying to get my tangled snow chains on. I managed to get out of the car park and onto the mountain road. I even did a 180 degree spin on the way down to Bourg Smile

Luckily the flight the fellas were on was delayed as they had to stop at Leeds enroute from Manchester.....

We got lost on the way back as the new bit of road just after the Swiss border control wasn't on my sat nav (or we were chatting and missed it). After driving towards Paris for 20 mins we realised our mistake and got back on track.

It took about 3 1/4 hrs on the way due to the snow/snow chains episode. It took about 3 hrs on the way back. We didn't get back in time to make it worthwhile skiing, which is a shame because the conditions were superb by all accounts.

Thanks for all the tips Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy