Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Falling on steepish off piste - any idea what I might have done wrong???

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Probably an entirely stupid question (sorry) - but I just wonder if it is obvious to some of you what I must have done wrong.... and I would prefer not to repeat it!! The snow was deep and forgiving so it wasnt dangerous and I am fine - but it wasnt a nice feeling going over and over for some distance - and I am aware if it had been different conditions it could have been a different story!! Usually if I fall - I have a good idea what I have done wrong... But this time I am not sure.

Skis stayed on - and they are only set very low. I remembered snowheads saying get your legs under you. On the first attempt I nearly managed to stay up but flipped over again. After a few attempts I stopped. Legs straight across the slope -I think in the same direction I started to fall in - pretty parallel

I think I either
a) caught a rock at the end of the turn
b) as it was narrower than I am used to skiing - (I usually use more of the width to "finish a turn" and take out any speed I have built up) - I maybe tried to stop at the end of the turn too abruptly - and maybe had my weight in the wrong place.
c) did none of the above - but didnt put enough effort in to the end of the turn as it was 4pm and I was tired!!

Does the flipping over indicate anything - and the skis staying on?? Or is it impossible to say from my garbled ramblings.

If it had been less forgiving snow - how do you stop flipping over if your skis are still on!!!

Before anyone says it - I know lessons will help. Have already done one course this year and will get more lessons as soon as I can afford it!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jayne durham, if it was pretty deep snow you may have momentarily had more weight on one ski than another causing you to flip over. The deeper the snow the more you need weight on both skis all the time. Have you evre water skiied? It's similar - if you don't have weight on both your skis when water skiing you will fall! Less deep powder snow weight on both skis doesn't matter so much.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Beanie. Do you think it was likely to be my downhill or uphill ski I had more weight on - or could it have been either??
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
jayne durham, I expect it was your downhill ski, as you will probably have more weight on this ski when skiing on piste. Did you flip downhill? As opposed to falling sideways into the hill?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was off piste Beanie.- Yes I think I flipped downhill. Never done anything like it before! I think if I'd been leaning up the hill as the snow was so soft and I wasnt going fast - I would done more of a sit down and fallen from there....
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
jayne durham,
Quote:

I was off piste Beanie
I know, I just meant you will probably be used to skiing with more weight on the downhill ski, so the more likely mistake to be made when skiing off piste.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nothing to moan about - it may have been more difficult if you'd lost a ski and had to bootpack back up to it in steep unconsolidated snow.

In such circumstances I almost always blame a snowfox for snagging my ski thus my perfect technique remains unblemished wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ahhhhh fatbob - you are absolutely right - it must have been a snowfox. Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Or a submerged fence post - I hit one of those a few weeks ago and practically buried myself as a result
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
jayne durham, Had you tried to scrub off a little speed during the turn that got you tumbling?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Probably - Its all a bit of a blur Scarpa. It was 4pm and I was tired. There were lots of distractions - and the more I think about it I think I probably just turned too sharply with my weight too much on the downhill ski - and my weight already forward down the hill, which made me flip. I probably just need to write it off as one of those things - and concentrate more. The good thing is it has made me start thinking about wanting to learn/practice how to stop a fall.
As I said - it was not in any way dangerous... nice soft snow and no edges to fall off. I just dont tend to fall very often as I am pretty cautious - and dont go for things way outside my comfort zone. This was at the limit of "steepness" I have done - and was certainly narrower than the pitches I would normally find myself on - and I am just trying to get better at it!! I expect for serious skiers it would have been like a blue run - but for me it was hard!!!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

There were lots of distractions

.... such as the backside of the fit instructor you were following?? wink

I've had this type of fall (the "highside" as it's referred to by the motorcycling fraternity) many times jayne durham, and i'm sure it's usually down to nailing a good run of successive turns leading to a little over confidence leading to a momentary lapse of concentration resulting in poor weight distribution.... resulting in eating snow!!! Keep practicing and it happens less and less frequently... I find if I talk to myself as I ski off piste i retain concentration and my weight remains better distributed across the two ski's. Other siers look at me as if I've lost the plot as it only seems work when i talk out loud!!!!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
trying to analyse why you fell without seeing it is a bit of a waste of time. skiing soft snow is all about making adjustments - if one of these goes wrong sufficiently, you'll take a beater. happens to everyone sometimes and you could argue it's barely a technical issue. OTOH there are things which you can do to make the margin for error bigger

as to what you do when you do fall - in the situation you describe, i'd be pretty happy my skis stayed on. it is a case of getting your skis below you and, if the snow is soft, that's usually enough. funnily enough, flipping yourself around is something which comes with practice and is a lot easier on steeper slopes. a bit of bouncing around as also inevitable but be happy its in nice soft snow rather than on a hard piste Cool
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks everyone. No falls today...... so I feel a bit better again!! Blush
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy