Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Interesting News regarding the Eurotest

Poster: A snowHead
slikedges, exactly, as Austria is a place where ISIA's can work and train up. This as we discussed means lower salaries and guys/girls looking elsewhere for a career in skiing. Austrian Associations loss, BASI ISIA's gain. Have a couple of trainees really enjoying their work in Austria this season, one just passed his istd tech on Friday!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jjc james, well done to both of you!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
One way of interpreting all these comments re France and other countries is that France is the one out of line because they have been successful in rigging a system that pays those at the top more than they are "worth" (worth being defined in free market terms). I can't see how the comment about being paid more per hour than the ski school would earn for a private lesson can possibly be interpreted any other way. Perhaps also the root cause of jealousy that the wannabe French practioners can't get in on the game.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jjc james,

I think if you want an accurate picture of how things work in Austria Gilleski might be the best person to ask.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jjc james,
Quote:

Austrian Associations loss, BASI ISIA's gain.

The problem is if the EU restructure the Directive it will apply to all EU Nations.

The point which is being missed is not that any particular group of instructors should exploit the situation which prevails in another nation, ie, ISIA's instructing in Austria because the AU Nationals choose not to do it.

The point is that all EU Nations should be the same and the citizens of the EU should be able train (for their own National qualifications) and work in any nation of their choosing, provided they comply with existing EU directives (laws). For example if you attend the British School in Paris, you would still sit 'A' levels, however as far as skiing is concerned France believes that it has the right to insist that a migrant worker has to train within the ski instructor system devised for French Nationals.

Whether you happen to hold an opinion that, for example, the French Training system is a good one is quite irrelevant. What matters is that there is no justification either legally or morally for insisting that migrant workers train and work exclusively within the training system of the host nation.

Of course if the French had been smart they would have set uo 'British Sections' within the ESF. That way clients and aspirant ski instructor would have been well catered for and the ESF would have remained 'in control'.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
fatbob,

Quote:

I can't see how the comment about being paid more per hour than the ski school would earn for a private lesson can possibly be interpreted any other way.

Until you work in the industry at that level and see how things work you would't understand. ESF is a syndicate, we run privates as a Loss Leader. Very good business strategy where both the instructor and client win. In a ski school where the instructor is employed the instructor may teach a lesson of 4 people paying 100 euro each but he'll still only get the same wage as if he taught 1 person. The employer pockets the rest, hence lower wages and higher lesson prices.

ESF's don't work that way we as we have only each other no employer. So what happens to the extra money in the group lessons? Well at the end of the season we split the kitty evenly between each other depending on hours worked and qualification level. Therefore the private lesson is bumped up to a similar pay level as the group lesson pay because we all split the privates equally. See how it works?

Or is Instructors making a living not allowed as there is no "fat cat" making a profit from our work. Should we be paying the "fat cat" and charging extra to the client to stop being "paid more than we are worth".

But hey I've only been there and done it, I'm by no means an armchair expert yet! rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

I'm by no means an armchair expert yet!

Clearly not, but we can get you a nice Briar pipe, some tartan slippers, brown corduroy pants, a jacket with leather elbow patches and have you well on your way in no time Toofy Grin

P.S. ESF sounds dangerously close to communism, I'd expect incoming air attacks from the US after that post Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Clearly not, but we can get you a nice Briar pipe, some tartan slippers, brown corduroy pants, a jacket with leather elbow patches and have you well on your way in no time

Been ill this week and have spent a lot of time in the armchair! Feeling like I'm going that way at the moment. Crying or Very sad

Quote:

P.S. ESF sounds dangerously close to communism, I'd expect incoming air attacks from the US after that post

Well everyone pays a percentage of their wages back each month to pay for the overheads. Stagiers pay more and once your a Moniteur your percentage drops each year and then stops at a base rate. So not quite communism.

I've had a look around as i'm thinking of doing a season in another resort. The brit ski school i checked out ran a very similar system.

Quote:

Whether you happen to hold an opinion that, for example, the French Training system is a good one is quite irrelevant. What matters is that there is no justification either legally or morally for insisting that migrant workers train and work exclusively within the training system of the host nation.

Bindingcheck is that still an issue if its not migrant workers but Every Worker as that is the case? If it was just migrants they'd have about 5 people at each TT. I thought each country was allowed to have their own local levels even if others chose a lower level.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Looks like my ACL reconstruction might be tomorrow so I will have plenty of time to sit back relax and enjoy some armchair debating on interesting news regarding the ET Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
jjc james,

Quote:

Bindingcheck is that still an issue if its not migrant workers but Every Worker as that is the case? If it was just migrants they'd have about 5 people at each TT. I thought each country was allowed to have their own local levels even if others chose a lower level.

I think I know what you mean, but my interpretation might not match you intended meaning. Anyway here goes.

Migrant worker means someone from outside of the home nation. Currently most French choose to enter the French curriculum for training for the first-grade sports instructor's certificate (brevet d'Etat d'éducateur sportif) and that means that they have to do the TT.

Currently, in France, the only training centres are the ESF ones NOT because EU or French law demands this but rather because 'training establishments' must be approved by the France, ie. the French state. While it is true that ESF would prefer to maintain the monopoly it is difficult to see how France could point blank refuse to authorise a Training Centre (which intended to operated a non-French curriculum) that was being properly administered. What the French will do is try to block the creation of a non-French Training Centre but ultimately the ECJ would rule against them. A case would easily be brought against France on Human Rights or Unfair Competition or Restrictive Practices or any one of at least another 4 legal categories. BASI members are now having to do a TT not because of the law but because the French decided that their 'interpretation' of the "Brussels Agreement" (remember that one) said that BASI members had to do it. As I understand it within the French system the TT is not something that you do as part of your training curriculum it is something that you do before you can start doing the training. BASI lawyers could easily have ripped that one apart if they had been allowed to.

Quote:

Well everyone pays a percentage of their wages back each month to pay for the overheads. Stagiers pay more and once your a Moniteur your percentage drops each year and then stops at a base rate. So not quite communism.

Definitely not communism. Communism is a political theory that advocates a classless and stateless society as its core value. Clearly the system you describe is class ridden and has a figurehead state, the entity of the ESF, but on the redeeming side it is sort of democratic in that the Moniteurs get to vote about who is going to be in charge of their ski school. If I had to give it a label I would err on the side of Totalitarianism, in that the function of the proletariate is to maintain the status of the ruling classes wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jjc,

Quote:

Looks like my ACL reconstruction might be tomorrow

ACL reconstruction? I have experience with this. Allograft or autograft?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Haha not a clue, I have been round the houses seeing surgeons and have decided to go to one who did a fantastic job on my knee before. I have not actually had a consultation with him for this injury but trust him to do a good job. I am hopefully on his list for tomorrow after he reviewed my scans today, so i guess i will know more tomorrow. Whats the difference? All i know is i have a full rupture Smile
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jjc, Hope it all goes well and you heal up good and fast.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jjc, Yep, good luck - hope it all goes OK and is quick to heal snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
cheers guys,,appreciated.
snow report
Allograft is dead guy but fairly rare in UK IIRC. Patellar or Hamstring seems to be the more relevant question. Hope it goes well as rehab is a bitch.
latest report
jjc,

To clarify FATBOB's rather basic explanation. A reconstruction will use a tendon to replace the ruptured ligament. The bigger diameter the tendon the better. As the patient recovers the replacement tendon changes its structure to become very similar to a ligament, ie. the fibres re-align. An autograft (from the donor him/herself) will take a tendon from near the repair site and that will probably be the patellar or hamstring, these are quite narrow and have to be wound together. Reconstruction by autograft has a longer recovery because there are 2 injuries to recover from. Very often the harvesting causes greater morbidity than the repair job.

An allograft is from a donor (fatbob's dead guy), not that rare in the UK. The donor tissue is stored in donor banks until it is needed. The advantages of Allograft are, there is more tissue for the surgeon to work with, the biggest strongest tendons in the body can be used and it doesn't need to be wound together. There is only one wound which needs to recover, and it was knackered anyway. Allograft recover is much quicker than autograft. The tissue is screened for everything except CJD which can't be detected before it is used.

8 weeks after I had my allograft reconstruction I was doing some daft things on my knee and skiing (more like sliding around) with a brace for psychological support.

As with all of my body repairs I work on the basis that the surgeons do 25% of the job and I have to do the other 75%. Yes the recovery is hard work which is why the vast majority of people don't make a full recovery or end up with dodgy knees, ie they quit, not so much on the rehab but much more on the training that has to be done afdter the first 2/3 weeks of rehab. Keep saying to yourself - "If it was easy, anybody could do it, but then again I am not 'just anybody'!"

All the best and get ready for the sweat & tears.
snow report
jjc, hope all goes well with your surgery...

been away for a while but reading the BASI statement it seems as though the ISIA have been shut out and now have little to no say as far as the EU is concerned. Also sounds as though BASI and individual national associations were involved not just FEMPS. We heard earlier that BASI was going to support both the ISIA and FEMPs but within the EU if the ISIA has no say what point is the pyramid structure within Europe.? Probably dead in the water now and the ISIA qualification will be even further devalued and only useful outside of our home EU market.

I am still mystified if there was a formal submission or if there are just ongoing discussions. If a formal submission was made what did it contain?

The ET and EMS will apparently form key parts of the EU wide card. It will be interesting to hear how these discussions impact those BASI members who are training towards the final certificate and where they can work legally and potentially Training centre status for British ski schools outside the UK

It also reaffirms for me that time is of the essence to get a proper legal opinion on the Age discrimination angle before the next meeting in October as per the statement released.
snow report
Interesting reading (though I havent had time to read all 17 pages).

A couple of comments...

- France is one of the only places in the world where it is possible to make a full time career out of ski instructing (i.e one that would pay for a mortgage / family).
- An ISTD might be able to make £20K-30K+ in a winter season. Which is good money for 5/6 month season.
- The Euro Test is not about protecting jobs for the French. Its about limiting the total number of people that can teach skiing. (every 20 something kid from Paris also wants to teach skiing for a gap year too!).
- The French have hundreds of teenagers in full time race training. The Euro test ensures they have a fall back career option if they dont make the grade.
- Without doubt the bar is set high for anyone wishing to teach skiing in France. Especially if your not from racing background. But if your good enough then you will pass?
- In some ways the British have it easier than the French. They get unlimited attempts to pass the euro test (the French only get 3 chances I think?).

At the end of the day it depends if you think that ski teaching should be a long term career option ? (as in France).
Or is ski instructing something that 20 somethings & retired people do for £10 a hour during the winter months (as in Austria / Switzerland / USA etc).

My guess is that if the euro test was abolished by European courts then it would certainly become harder for people to make a career out of ski teaching in France.
However the price of lessons would probably drop as people will no longer be getting paid 50 euros an hour to teach snow plough.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 18-05-11 11:01; edited 3 times in total
latest report
Quote:
Remember we are a nation without a decent ski area

Perhaps...
However 3 or 4 officially sanctioned Euro tests have been run at Cairngorm and Nevis Range in the last 5 years.
So our little Scottish ski areas cant be that bad Wink

Personally I reckon BASI deserve a lot of credit for getting their own qualifications so well accepted globally ?
Especially in France.
ski holidays
Haggis_Trap, Couldn't fault you on the first comment.

Quote:

However 3 or 4 officially sanctioned Euro tests have been run at Cairngorm and Nevis Range in the last 5 years.

That however is pure fiction! I've been an opener for 3 years now and not once have we run anything in Scotland (no offence to the scottish areas). Couple of reasons, BASI members are allowed to enter other countries ET's because we can't run our own. Imagine if we could, everyone trekking back from the alpes each season to try and pass the ET. In fact thats why the one attempted Scottish ET in the last 3 years was cancelled, no one booked on it.
ski holidays
[quote=\\\\\\\"jjc james\\\\\\\"
That however is pure fiction! I\\\\\\\'ve been an opener for 3 years now and not once have we run anything in Scotland (no offence to the scottish areas). Couple of reasons, BASI members are allowed to enter other countries ET\\\\\\\'s because we can\\\\\\\'t run our own.[/quote]

FWIW - The BASI website has Scotland listed as a possible venue for euro / speed tests (snow permitting).

http://www.basi.org.uk/content/euro-speed-test.aspx

I thought that a euro / speed test was held on the White Lady at Cairngorm last winter ?
From memory it created a great fuss about the piste being closed to the public for 2 days.
Also fairly certain that the Snowgoose at Nevis Range has also hosted at least one speed test in recent years ?

http://www.cairngormmountain.com/website/main.asp?pg=22&nid=89&cd=1

Obviously a Euro test actually taking place on UK shores is a rare event.
But snow permitting our little mountains are allowed to host them.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 18-05-11 14:48; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I thought there had been one to two ran in Scotland in the recent past. Pass rate was pretty low as I recall.
snow report
Haggis_Trap wrote:
I thought that a euro / speed test was held on the White Lady at Cairngorm last winter ?
From memory it created a great fuss about the piste being closed to the public for 2 days.

The White Lady was used for FIS races for two days, was this what you remembered ?
snow conditions
Last seasons test was cancelled, i was looking forward to doing it. Unfortunately 5 people booking on to it and the predicted cost of running an ET is quite high! So not really doable for 5 people.
Quote:

Obviously a Euro test actually taking place on UK shores is a rare event.
But snow permitting our little mountains are allowed to host them.

Thats true but I think BASI are bit cautious over the potential cost of running ET's were not many people turn up. It's why this season they tried to organise an ET in Switzerland instead of Scotland.

I'm by no means having a pop at scottish skiing when I say any of this, I work up next to glenmore lodge one summer and enjoyed it! Great cycling!
latest report
jjc james, I'm pretty sure there has been at least one Eurotest in Scotland, but it could have been several years ago. I remember seeing a few of the guys I used to race with had entered. Can't find anything about it online unfortunately.
snow report
I think 5 years ago was the last one,,beanie1 will know Very Happy

I had a hamstring graft in the end and it feels fairly good, looking forward to the next 6 months re hab now.
latest report
That link from Haggis_Trap is March 2005. Maybe that was the last one?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sideshow_Bob, Yes one ran for sure a few years back, the french always ask when the next one will be so they can do the whiskey trail again!

I was just pointing out that the 3-4 in the 5 years comment was a little ambitious.

I hope there is another one soon as i'd like to ski some gates up there, with BASI being told they can only hold an ET on home soil it might happen.
snow conditions
Haggis_Trap,
Quote:

- The French have hundreds of teenagers in full time race training. The Euro test ensures they have a fall back career option if they dont make the grade.
- Without doubt the bar is set high for anyone wishing to teach skiing in France. Especially if your not from racing background. But if your good enough then you will pass?

1st paragraph - the Eurotest is not a fall back for the failed race trainees otherwise the thousands (not hundreds) who don't make it every year would fill the ESF to overflowing. Which is why the 'bar' is set at the level it is at - to keep the number of instructors trying to enter the ski schools manageable or perhaps it should be sustainable.
2nd paragraph - Your last sentence is what this topic is all really all about; "good enough" but good enough for what? Good enough for racing, clearly not because if it was a test to see if you were good enough for racing then you wouldn't be sitting the test, instead you would be racing. Which means the test should be to find out if you are good enough to be an instructor.

It is this very point that vexes people who are attempting to enter the system from the real world. The French don't really have a problem with it, they have grown up with it and merely give a Gallic shrug and accept it's existence. The 'outsiders' take a more objective view and say "Why is racing very/quite fast so important to being a ski instructor, surely the most important thing is how well/effectively I can teach."

Others, such as jjc, jjc james, heidiki & johnnie mount a stout defense of the Eurotest but can't quite justify why the pass mark is 18% (for men) instead of, for example, 15 % or 20%.

As an observer/contributor who has expressed no particular position on the Eurotest I would present the following for discussion:

There are not very many contributors and watchers who do not understand and agree with the very generalised reason for a racetest, what the majority do not understand is the reasoning for the criteria on which the Eurotest is based.

Having written this I duly offer my back as a target for all and sundry to aim at Neutral

Congratulations to jjc for successfully getting off the surgeons 'slab'
snow report
Bindingcheck, your points on criteria can be answered with one of Haggis_Trap's points.

Quote:

- France is one of the only places in the world where it is possible to make a full time career out of ski instructing (i.e one that would pay for a mortgage / family).
ski holidays
As far as I know there have been at least 2 Euro Tests in Scotland, one back in March 2001 (the first time I think but not 100% sure if it was finally run) and another on the 8th March 2008 (I think that was the year) which I'm pretty certain was run, the one the following year as I recall was cancelled due to lack of entries (probably the one jjc james refers to above). It would have been perfectly possible to run them on both the Goose and White Lady many times during the 2009/10 season and again perfectly possible this past season too, certainly at Cairngorm where the White Lady was complete right through from late November until early April so let's not overplay the reliability of the snow card!

As with many things with regards BASI and Scotland it's less about whether it can be done and more about whether there's a will - they may still be based in Scotland but in truth they are very, very remote from what goes on there I'm afraid!

BTW, personally I think the main issue is not the existence of the test but whether age should be taken into account.
snow report
Quote:

Others, such as jjc, jjc james, heidiki & johnnie mount a stout defense of the Eurotest but can't quite justify why the pass mark is 18% (for men) instead of, for example, 15 % or 20%.

There has to be a cut off somewhere, I dont know how 18% was decided but i doubt it was a decison made off the cuff. I must say from attending many tests the pass mark looks right give or take 1-2 % from observing the technical ability of those around the mark.

If it was 20% we would still be having this discussion. As those that would have passed this season on 20% will pass at some point and are not likely to have a problem with the test.

Quote:

Congratulations to jjc for successfully getting off the surgeons 'slab'

Thanks Very Happy hopefully i wont be back anytime soon 6 by 23 seems enough.
snow report
Bindingcheck,

My bullet points above just explain that the Euro Test is NOT about the ''French protecting jobs for locals'' (a very common misconception). Instead the Euro Test is primarily aimed to limit the total number of ski instructors able to teach in France.
Basically so that salary's remain high. As mentioned.... France is one of the only places in the world where it is possible to make a full time career out of ski instructing (i.e one that would pay for a mortgage / family). Its no coincidence that 90%+ of ISTDs work in France!

Quote:
Why is racing very fast so important to being a ski instructor, surely the most important thing is how well/effectively I can teach.

Personally I would tend to agree.
The best skiers obviously aren't always the best teachers.

However to get an ISTD (or French equivalent) you also have to pass several tests of your teaching ability - which is something people forget. If you are then going to select the "crème de la crème" of skiers on technical ability a speed test is one way of doing that. For the very simple reason that a genuinely world class skier will always be able to adapt their technique to what is required ?

Yes, the Euro Test may indeed be unfair.... It is deliberately designed to identify the very best technical skiers, and limit the number of people able to pass. However my key point is that its equally difficult for the French to pass (if anything its harder, as the French only get 3 attempts). If the Euro Test was removed then the wages for people teaching skiing in France would inevitably drop, making it a less attractive option.

IMHO it all depends if you think that ski teaching should be a long term career option ? (as in France). Or is ski instructing something that young people or retired people do for £10 a hour during the winter months (as in Austria / Switzerland / USA etc) ?
ski holidays
jjc james,

Aah, that is exactly the point that most observers cannot understand. On the one hand people try to defend the Eurotest in terms of it being a measure a ski instructors competence but when, on the other hand the justification is claimed by some that it is the key to an employment agency then there will always antagonism.

If the reasoning for the test 'per se' is based on robust criteria then the great unwashed will appreciate its values. However if the prime or, as jjc james suggests, the sole reason is to enable an elite band to earn a considerable income at the detriment of others then the test is no more than an upper class tool which ensures that the 'oiks' are kept in their place. Can you imagine standing in a law court or in politics and trying to sway opinion with that sort of argument. (Unless of course your surname is Cameron or Osborne, in which case you currently are doing it and probably don't care)

jjcjames - The argument that you profess is not a reason for the Eurotest but a possible consequence of being successful in the Eurotest. I would challenge yourself and others to submit a reason for the Eurotest which has greater validity within a training and assessment process.
latest report
Haggis_Trap,

Generally speaking, most people who read and correspond on this topic understand that the Eurotest is not a mechanism to exclude non-French. Trawling through the 15 previous pages will provide plently of evidence to this effect.

And we all got the bit about wages from your earlier post. BUT can you explain why an EU citizen is forced to live and work outwith a nation of his choosing? Perhaps this (or any) particular EU citizen would be happy to work for € 15 per hour in a country of his choosing?

I could give examples of UK work & pay practices such as Rumanian plumbers and Polish plasterers but that would distract from this very important part of the topic.
snow conditions
Bindingcheck wrote:
jjc james,

Aah, that is exactly the point that most observers cannot understand. On the one hand people try to defend the Eurotest in terms of it being a measure a ski instructors competence but when, on the other hand the justification is claimed by some that it is the key to an employment agency then there will always antagonism.

I've got to admit that based on the responses of ET holders on this thread although they've tried valiantly to present the former its had to avoid the conclusion its really the latter.
snow report
Bindingcheck - the reason for the euro test is very simple.
Right or wrong the French believe that ski instructing should be a career
... and have decided to only allow the very best technical skiers to attain the top level qualification. If you are actually one of the best technical skiers then you will be able to train for, and pass, the euro test.

Quote:
BUT can you explain why an EU citizen is forced to live and work outwith a nation of his choosing? Perhaps this (or any) particular EU citizen would be happy to work for € 15 per hour in a country of his choosing?

EU citizens are NOT excluded from working in France.
They just need to have equivalent qualifications to a local ski instructor (which is a humble BASI 2 plus the easier Test Technique)

http://www.basi.org.uk/content/employment-france.aspx

You can read about the Test Technique here.
All French instructors need to do it before they can become a stagiere - then train for the euro test.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCwQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.basi.org.uk%2Fdocs%2FTest%2520Technique%2520and%2520Eurotest.pdf&rct=j&q=BASI%20test%20technique&ei=rNjUTfyXFI_vsgal8qyDDA&usg=AFQjCNHqV_DpDgE5WVXYGyp2f8ezhQ5XOw&sig2=3JsGQc86ptxYHW49Snw0sg&cad=rja

Yes, I agree, the French system may suck - but it is however equally difficult to attain for people of all nationalities.
French skiers have to jump through similar hoops, and most likely a spell with the ESF.
Certainly nothing to do with upper class tools, keeping oiks in place, Gallic EU protectionism... (as suggested) and more to do with the bar being set very high if you want to teach in France.

FWIW I am not defending the Euro Test (would struggle to pass it myself, not coming from a race background)
Just suggesting that if people are going to criticise the Euro Test then they should do so for the correct reason - namely that they believe the standard is set too high.
ski holidays
Changing direction a little here... I have been told by BASI's Legal Director that the board of directors has discussed the matter of age discrimination

The Board have agreed that BASI should investigate the matter and the legal director shall be seeking specialist employment advice in this regard.

THe Eurotest is here to stay folks, as per the BASI statement posted by beanie1 BUT as it will be applied EU wide my guess is that its final format may be open to change and age, % pass time, averaging openers may be up for negotiation.
snow report
Haggis_Trap,

Oh dear.

Quote:

certainly nothing to do with upper class tools, keeping oiks in place,

My use of upper class and oiks was allegorical. The ski instructor industry is class ridden. The eurotest (and its predecessors) have not always existed, they were created by those who were at the top to prevent too many people from getting to the top. When challenged by the EU on the validity of the racetest, the French did provide a reason, you can find that reason if you research though the previous pages in this topic, but it has subsequently been dismissed as being quite ludicrous. Hence the search for a reason - not an opinion.
Quote:

the reason for the euro test is very simple.
Right or wrong the French believe that ski instructing should be a career
... and have decided to only allow the very best technical skiers to attain the top level qualification.

Is the above statement a reason or an opinion?

Quote:

EU citizens are NOT excluded from working in France.
They just need to have equivalent qualifications to a local ski instructor (which is a humble BASI 2 plus the easier Test Technique)

Well the humble Level 2's are excluded (after a period of time). The arrangements outlined by BASI are time sensitive and I express no opinion about the virtue of the time bar. The Test Technique is not easier, please read earlier comments about the TT in this topic.

Quote:

Gallic EU protectionism... (as suggested)

I haven't seen that being claimed, all observers to this post are aware that it is a one rule fits all situation.

Quote:

Just suggesting that if people are going to criticise the Euro Test then they should do so for the correct reason......

Agree with that but before you can criticise something you have to understand the reason for it's existence, after that you are in a better position (much less 'kneejerk') to suggest why it should be altered. There is a reason for a racetest but on this topic we haven't managed to identify it yet.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy