Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Interesting News regarding the Eurotest

Poster: A snowHead
Bindingcheck, thanks for that. I haven't read this thread for a long while. Dunno what's been posted since I stopped reading it but what you've just posted is crystal clear and backs up what I've always thought about all this. It's in dire need of a much broader audience. Ideas anyone?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
slikedges, If you want a broader audience (>1500 Basiods) but are prepared to get slated and told you are just a complaining moaner looking for excuses when the truth is you really just cant ski try posting on the BASI facebook page wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skimottaret, I'll do that after I've passed my ISIA. Oh, also after I've joined facebook.
Which will probably be . . .

never. NehNeh

I reckon it's beanie1's duty to do the deed. After all she wouldn't be expressing an opinion, just linking the membership to an interesting post . . . Toofy Grin
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Putting all the politics to one side, sounds like a great day for the BASI candidates today. Quite a few passes according to Facebook, well done all after all the hard work !!!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Putting all the politics to one side, sounds like a great day for the BASI candidates today. Quite a few passes according to Facebook, well done all after all the hard work !!!

Here here
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
21 basi I think Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Quite a few passes according to Facebook, well done all after all the hard work

yep just seen the news as well, sure there will be some celebrations tonight Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jjc wrote:
21 basi I think Smile

Wow - Result Cool
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The test wasn't in Garmisch was it? Confused
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
skimottaret, anyone I'd know? Got a link?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
slikedges, about 10 or so I have skied with that you may know and at least two you definitely know... JP and Clare got it Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
jjc wrote:
21 basi I think Smile

Wow - Result Cool

Blimey! That is a very high pass rate. Anyone know the total number of passes and how many sat the test?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skir67 wrote:
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
jjc wrote:
21 basi I think Smile

Wow - Result Cool

Blimey! That is a very high pass rate. Anyone know the total number of passes and how many sat the test?

It was a double test as Tuesdays test was moved to Wednesday afternoon due to bad weather.

Nine brits passed the morning test and eleven or twelve the afternoon test. Approx 50 brits entered but not all started.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret, have sent my congrats!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowrider wrote:
skir67 wrote:
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
jjc wrote:
21 basi I think Smile

Wow - Result Cool

It was a double test as Tuesdays test was moved to Wednesday afternoon due to bad weather.

Nine brits passed the morning test and eleven or twelve the afternoon test. Approx 50 brits entered but not all started.

Thanks for the info. Any idea on the total entry number including everyone and the overall pass number?

Glad JP got it, he's a decent bloke.
snow report
To add some balance BASI ran a Eurotest in Scotland yesterday, Good report on the news (16mins) http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01qy63y/Reporting_Scotland_26_02_2013/

lots of pats on the back for BASI and Scotland for running it but sadly nobody passed....
snow report
skimottaret, arguably a good thing, bodes well for having further tests in Scotland. If the openers had punted down and everyone passed then the French would've kicked up a right stink. Probably good to get it well established before playing nice for the home crowd.
snow conditions
Sideshow_Bob, there was a French opener and 3 Brits (including Alain B) not sure it is a good thing that once again no one passes.. Why have further tests in Scotland ? this was the first one in 5 years and it was delayed due to conditions and only 20 or so entered , musta cost BASI a bomb to run...
ski holidays
Maybe I'm a bit more trusting of BASI to look after the Brits who enter and make it more of a level playing field than whoever organises and runs the tests out in France... For people down south it's probably as cheap and easy to get out to France for a test as Scotland but for those in Scotland it's a lot more expensive and this cost may put off instructors who have the ability but not the finances to pass the test.
snow report
skimottaret, There were club races on the White Lady over the weekend, it wasn't pisted just for the Eurotest.
snow conditions
skimottaret, an opinion on why n-one passed, I mean, I wouldn't think everyone would enter unless they thought they had a reasonable chance? I guess some would for practice??
snow report
under a new name, the pass rate isn't that high for Eurotests anywhere, and I guess Alain Baxter had 3 Shredded Wheat that morning Wink

I do love this quote on the BASI eurotest website

Quote:
Skis - Candidates are required to have one ski on each foot
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:
Sideshow_Bob, there was a French opener and 3 Brits (including Alain B) not sure it is a good thing that once again no one passes.. Why have further tests in Scotland ? this was the first one in 5 years and it was delayed due to conditions and only 20 or so entered , musta cost BASI a bomb to run...

I already answered in the other thread why it is important to run euro test in Scotland.
http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=98355

Why was the pass rate low ?

3 simple answers / theory

1) Icy and tight race course probably favors experienced openers such as Alain Baxter
2) Low entry cost and accessible venue means local skiers are more likely to "give it a go".
3) People doing the euro test in UK are perhaps less likely to be skiing full-time (they probably have other jobs in real world to pay the bills!)

Just because no one passed doesn't mean that it wasn't worthwhile for those involved.

Quote:
musta cost BASI a bomb to run...

Running a course in Scotland will be much cheaper than the alps.
Many of the BASI staff and even the course openers were local.
Plus Cairngorm donate the White Lady piste and grooming for very minimal / zero charge.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 27-02-13 12:58; edited 2 times in total
snow report
skimottaret wrote:

Why would it cost any more or less than a Eurotest run in France, Austria etc???
ski holidays
kitenski, I could be wrong but for BASI to run its own ET they must pay for the openers, gates, piste etc.. and they reclaim this through entrance fees per individual, at 20 off I would be surprised if they have covered costs. On European ET's we send a TD if there are more than 10 BASI members involved to ensure "fairness" and I would guess this costs a whole lot less than running our own test.
latest report
^ Almost certain that Cairngorm will have been more than pleased for BASI to use the White Lady midweek for a minimal / zero fee.
Especially when the course had already been used for other races over the weekend.
For most entrants, officials and openers involved the transport costs will have been minimal (compared to an alpine test).

There are lots of merits for BASI, as an association, organising their own independent tests.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 27-02-13 14:04; edited 1 time in total
latest report
kitenski, fairy nuff.

I don't suppose it cost more to run than any (FIS eligible) race of which there are plenty each weekend.

Haggis_Trap, thanks, also, fairy nuff it it's cheap and on your doorstep. I could see myself giving it a go - just for a laugh - if I had requisite entry stuff.

Not sure I like the look of those catsuits though!! Mine is much more characterful.
latest report
under a new name, The entry fee for the Eurotest is a fair bit higher than it was for the club races over the weekend (or for FIS races) so it can break even with fewer entrants.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I don't know what the financial background is but I can't see it as being a bad thing that BASI are running their own Eurotests rather than relying on others to do it for them.

As far as I am aware a number of people travelled from England to do the test so not everyone was 'local', all the same we should I think remember that BASI's roots lie in Scottish skiing and on Cairngorm so whilst it might seem irrelevant to those who choose to focus on the Alps and/or are based in SE England it strikes me that there should be no great surprise or controversy about a Eurotest being run in Scotland. Nor should we forget that there are still many instructors (and BASI members) working on Scottish snow, for example the ski school I work at had IIRC over 75 instructors working on Cairngorm over half-term and we are one of a number who work on the hill, off the top of my head I can think of at least 5/6 others at Cairngorm alone plus a number of freelancers including some ex BASI trainers.
snow conditions
Yeh haggis is right enough...steep and firm snow make for tough but fair conditions, morzine is regarded as a toughie too.. Only thing perhaps might be that 4 openers perhaps is more than enough, it can only make it harder. 2 openers for 30+ of us when I did it on cairngorm a while back...conditions were like freestyle that day. Was a big ask to be under 4 behind the openers yesterday.

Good shop window thing for basi too when negotiating with French and Austrians etc...So worthwhile and shows we are a ski nation.
snow report
On the BASI website news section Susie Berry of BASI says "It is not uncommon for BASI Level 4 instructors to take five or six attempts before they pass this speed test. BASI hopes to run a Eurotest in Scotland every two years in future.”

source http://www.basi.org.uk/article/euro-speed-test-perfect-conditions---cairngorm-.aspx

Apparently Susie has compiled a report on the Eurotests that she has been Technical Delegate at. BASI began sending her to tests when over 10 members are involved to ensure "fairness" This begs the question of how fair the test is. I have asked several times over the past two years if this report could be published to members and nothing has been forthcoming

======
Beanie1 back on 22 March11 The responses from Dave Renouf to skimottaret's questions are as follows:

"BASI has been sending a TD to ensure fairness, can we not get a reoprt on this?"

I'm waiting for confirmation as to whether we can publicise Susie Berry’s (FIS Technical Delegate) reports about the Eurotest and the fairness of the way they are run.
======
snow conditions
So Graham Bell is still working towards his ISIA (see Mountain Safety thread)...would he need to do the Eurotest in due course or would his old FIS points give him exemption.
snow report
rungsp wrote:
or would his old FIS points give him exemption.
This.
ski holidays
Nope he will have to take the test as his FIS points are over 5 years old, yet another stupid thing in the ET see page 5 http://pleva.net/resources/FEMPS-agreement.pdf
latest report
skimottaret, no! That's insane!
snow report
rob@rar, I am sure I heard that someone who had been an ET opener had to take the test for the same reason..
ski holidays
He'll struggle at 47 wink
latest report
Claude B, Have skied with him a few times and he is rock hard fit and VERY strong I would imagine he should be okay...
snow report
You guys are the the definition of "buzzkill" Evil or Very Mad I'm starting to look forward to hurting myself in the gates Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Masque wrote:
You guys are the the definition of "buzzkill" Evil or Very Mad I'm starting to look forward to hurting myself in the gates Twisted Evil
Friend of mine was race training this week. Took a bad fall on Monday and snapped his femur just below the ball of the hip joint. The femur was displaced (pushed upwards) so his leg was four inches shorter. He now has an ironmonger's worth of titanium plates and screws holding him together. Welcome to race training.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy