Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

tell me about bindings please

Poster: A snowHead
I'm currently toying with buying my 1st set of skis ( stockli rotor 76 's ) which I have found on offer, however they come without bindings. As one who always hires skis, I only know that the binding is what I stick my boot in, so a number of questions : can anyone recommend suitable bindings for these skis? What can I expect to pay for them + fitting ? what should I look for when considering bindings ?

To give some more context, I'm a middle- aged, intermediate piste basher who likes to occasionally throw some carved turns & play in the soft stuff at the edges. The skis are on sale in switzerland, but I'm thinking of bringing them back & having bindings fitted here.

any help, suggestions & advice would be great
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
nickH, Kiwi1 has some VIST bindings . . very good kit and Spyderjon can fit them correctly for you. Not pimping but a good product and professional service from both.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thanks Masque,will look into both. I'm interested to know how one tells a good binding from a bad one - are there particular things to look for & consider or is it down to reputation & experience?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
nickH, these days it's difficult to buy a bad ski binding (unless you hit fleabay), with litigation and regulation they all have to do 'what is says on the tin'. The difference in costs seems to come down to the quality of the materials and engineering. The Look and Rossi Axial turntable bindings mourned in their passing and are now (I think) only available as a race item.

I think you'll find that all brands have their advocates and detractors. I'm not the one to ask as I've gone telemark on board and skis Twisted Evil

PM Spyderjon to get an honest opinion.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Masque, beginning to think I should just take the skis into the nearest S&R & get them to fit whatever they suggest - I fear I could otherwise get caught up in the engineering minutae of a glorified clamp !!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
nickH, ummmm . . . to paraphrase, you will find that many sHs have a 'limited' opinion of S+R and personally knowing one of their managers it could be said that their prices are a little advantageous to their favour . . .

I'm sure there'll be more opinions along soon so chill a little longer as you've the end of season sales and all Summer to sort yourself out . . unless you've another trip planned.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nothing wrong with S and R really, but buy some railflex bindings, or some second hand skis you can take them off.
VIST bindings are fine, but pricey. Other railed bindings are more difficult to find 'off the skis' unless imported from the US.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
nickH,

metal housings, particularly at the heelpiece. This makes pricey.
direct pressure transfer, no 'rail' or 'floating' or, gasp, 'demo' goobiness.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Masque, the question's prompted by finding some skis currently available at a reduced rate, but without bindings, so am trying to get a sense of what the entire package might cost should I buy them. Downside is they're stocklis which don't seem to come cheap anywhere anytime !
As for another trip, yes, am thinking of it, though it might be in part to collect the skis ( seems a good excuse to me !)

beequin, comprex, thanks both, I'm slowly beginning to get a sense of things
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wasn't VIST the binding used by Stockli themselves at one stage? Hope Spyderjon will be on soon to advise.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
He's on holiday this week.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

No surprise there then wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mosha Marc wrote:

What? Again?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nickH, I was in the same position as you recently.
I bought a pair of Vist from Spyderjon recently for my Scott Neos. All of the important components of these bindings are made from metal as opposed to plastic found in some cheap bindings. They performed excelently on and off piste. I had no prereleases skiing agresively at my reccomendeid DIN setting and they released when I took the ocasional awkward tumble in powder. What more could I ask for........ Jon had a range of colours I got them in Green and White to match the Neos!

www.jonsskituning.co.uk
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
RPF, thanks for the recommendation, they seem pretty popular & more importantly, substantial. I suppose the advantage of getting the skis ( in switzerland)and the bindings here (& later ) is that I can spread the overall purchase cost over time therefore deluding myself into thinking its not an issue !!
As for the colour, the skis are a brushed silver, which might match my hair, but .....
ski holidays
nickH, it also allows you to do the balancing here if you believe in such things.

Me, I'm a big believer in balancing but I'm a bigger believer in skiing the ski to get a feel for what changes I want to make.
snow conditions
comprex, I doubt that at my modest level of ability things like balancing would make much noticeable difference to the end result ( me upright & in control ! ). More to the point, I'm not sure I know what changes it is possible to make & therefore which ones would be worth trying.
The 'feel' factor is what's made me interested in these particular skis as I had a day on some 6 weeks ago & they felt superb in every way for the entire day, something I can't say of a number of other skis that I've hired over the last years.
ski holidays
nickH,
Quote:

As for the colour, the skis are a brushed silver, which might match my hair, but .....

He can probably find a VIST binding to match your locks and planks, and if you dye your hair at a later date you can change the covers of your bindings to match.
He also can do the balancing analysis comprex mentioned to find an optimum binding position if your into that sort of thing.
I got him to do the full new ski base prep with hot box wax (thats not the same as a brazilian wax) before I used the skis. They ran really really well.
ski holidays
comprex, The Rottefella (spell-check that and get some very oral observations Shocked ) NTN's had Jon scratching his head Toofy Grin
snow conditions
RPF, I'd certainly consider having the waxing done ( hot box eh?), but suspect that my level of skiing would not justify the difference ( or cost) that the balancing would make. I shall however look into it more if I buy these planks.
As for the bindings matching the skis matching the hair , I think that rather than dying the hair, the next stage is the hair falling out & I don't want bindings to match that !!!
ski holidays
Masque, you did finally get them? Which boot, the Scarpa?

Your previous post implies that you may have them set on a teleboard as well? Howzat working out?
latest report
nickH, This year Lange boots are 'Powder Poof Blue' or for the more macho "Forget-me-not" blue . . . next year they may very well be 'scalded scalp pink' so while you may not be able to match bindings, boots will not be a prob. Spyderman in pink is going to be a photo album to treasure Twisted Evil
latest report
comprex, Scarpa never delivered so I've the Crispis. I'm putting Bishop Bombers on the Teleboard, second user for the Bishop's with their troubles Sad , hope it gets sorted as I wante the Ti version and NO ONE is selling those new or second hand. I've ridden a Teleboard in duckbill boots and was stunned by the control and comfort once I'd stopped being aggressive with it and it'll be even better with a little active resistance from the Bombers. Where are you in CONUS?
snow conditions
Masque, Crispis and a duckbill pair? Interesting.

The fluoro wave reference is to

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article5389887.ece

OHrex will be in CO next week, don't think she can prise free a set of TIs though. Sad

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 17-03-09 21:09; edited 1 time in total
latest report
comprex, borrowed duckbills. I'm based in Tennessee but out Mid-West for the foreseeable. Probably won't be sliding again till next Winter but If I manage to live long enough by keeping my gob shut to crawl out of this redneck midden and head East, fancy a beer?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy