Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Deux Alpes here we come - any tips?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So we are finally booked and going to L2A on 22nd March for a week.
Staying at Chalethotel berangere, so meals (apart from lunch and one night) are supplied for us. We've booked our ski-hire and so only the ski pass to pay for which I believe Mark Warner will organise for us.
We also have 4.5 days ski-hosting with Mark Warner and are pretty confident skiers so not gonna bother with lessons.
Does anyone have any tips for us as to
Cheap places for lunch
Cheap places for apres-ski and evening drinks?
Also I understand the ski-pass covers 1 day in Alpe D'Huez as well as maybe other places, is it worth doing a days ski there and how easy is it to get to?

Any other advice anybody can give will also be most appreciated.

Thanks for everyones help so far.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Beers are 5.50-6 euros everywhere. So no chance of cheap drinks im afraid. But its only about 5 euros for a crate of dumpys from the supermarket.
The umbrella bar is pretty good for apres-ski. Gets quite busy. Not sure if that its real name but its like a big yellow umbrella at the bottom of the valentin run, just by the main lift
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
justinj wrote:

Cheap places for lunch

In the town - Le Take Away
On the mountain - The Fee restaurant or a picnic bench.

justinj wrote:

Cheap places for apres-ski and evening drinks?

Try Polar Bear which is always lively and not that expensive. The Grotte Yeti is also good. Happy hour between 9 and 10 so it's 2 for 1. Good advice on the crates of stubbies for 5-6 euros from the Super Market.

justinj wrote:

Also I understand the ski-pass covers 1 day in Alpe D'Huez as well as maybe other places, is it worth doing a days ski there and how easy is it to get to?

It takes around 40 minutes to get to ADH. Not bad skiing and it seemed to me more mogully than L2A. Avoid the Sarenne (the longest black), it's boring, full of stones unless it's had a decent dump and it also get's quite busy.

justinj wrote:

Any other advice anybody can give will also be most appreciated.

- Avoid Charlie burger at all cost.
- If you fancy a private lesson contact Easiski
- Avoid the off-piste - Leave it alone for Swirly wink
- Take your swim stuff for the outdoor pool

Enjoy the hols.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Think kristof has pretty much covered it, especially with
Quote:

Avoid Charlie burger at all cost.

and
Quote:

Avoid the off-piste - Leave it alone for Swirly

Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
justinj, If you're doing the guiding you wont have much choice about where to eat at lunch - you go where the guide takes you! generally the french bars are much cheaper than the 'english' ones, so look for somewhere unprepossesing and go there if you want to save - did you get the 2 for 1 deal? Friends were there last week and got that. Very Happy You have an indoor pool int he hotel. Have fun.

kristof, thanks for the mention - how's the knee?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I liked the fee restaurant, and also liked getting "to the other side" late afternoon and skiing there as nobody else is there!!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
For lunch we enjoyed the Kanata hut on the Venosc/Pied Moutet side last week, very friendly service. Below is a view from the Kanata at lunch time - not a soul on the pistes, as swskier says.

We stayed at the hotel Chalet Mounier and the food (also available à la carte) was excellent, though quite expensive.

We had a day in Alpe d'Huez (I had my car available but I believe there is a bus on some days of the week). We only went up to Clocher de Macle. My friend complained that the pistes weren't as well prepared as he would have expected (it had snowed for the two days before) but I didn't find them all that bad. The pistes did seem more prepared over in Auris. The next day we were in Serre Chevalier (also on the ticket and not much further away, at least to entry from Le Monêtier les Bains). There the pistes were bashed flatter and pretty wide. And if you want to bash pistes yourself, you can have a 20 minute session in a Pisten-Bully, arranged by phoning +33 (0)4 92 25 55 00 in advance. I missed out on that Sad

Overall, both ADH and Serre Chevalier are worth a visit, if you can find suitable transport.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
espri, yes, the Kanata is a really nice place, isn't it! We were in L2A a couple of weeks ago and went there twice. I was actually after the moules, but I missed out (twice! At least it shows that they order fresh each day & have a limited amount...) because it was so quiet over there around lunch (& the snow was so fabulous) that we just had to do a few more runs... Yummy food though, & a great atmosphere, with really friendly staff Very Happy

Another vote for the Fee restaurant as well, although we found it a bit of a pain to get to - a long push around the Gours blue (even if you take the short cut of the Gours Bis icy wall of death) or a shorter push around Route de la Fee. The Aymes black is a great run though snowHead

We found the Glacier self-service place to be pretty good as well, & quite cheap. It was a lot better than I remembered it to be from a couple of years ago!

Also, the Diable au Coeur (top of the Diable red eggs) was very good indeed - a little more expensive, perhaps, but we were in the 3V in January so everything seemed pretty cheap to us, to be honest...

We love Crepes a Go Go for apres-ski! Lovely beers & delicious crepes Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jo225 wrote:
yes, the Kanata is a really nice place, isn't it! We were in L2A a couple of weeks ago and went there twice. I was actually after the moules, but I missed out (twice! At least it shows that they order fresh each day & have a limited amount...)

My friend had the moules + frites special but I stuck to a cheese pie (I've forgotten the local name) - also very tasty Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
easiski, it's not too bad, no pain, full range of movement and all the stiffness has gone. I'm just kicking round waiting for surgery on the 28th. I'll be back in work after that but I'll be coming back for the last week of the season as I really need to come and pick up my stuff (and party and BBQ) wink

Glad I'm having the surgery now so I can start the plans for next year!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thanks for all your tips guys.
Hope there is lots of snow left for us next week.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
justinj, Lots has melted, but there's so much that it doesn't matter. rolling eyes
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
if your looking for a serious hammam sauna avoid le club at all cost's, it has a no clothes policy! We almost made a very big mistake which would have made me Embarassed but if that's the kind of apres ski you're looking for..... wink

x
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy