Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Warmest ski jacket

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Yes, I know the best way to keep warm is to layer up, but my wife really (and I mean really really) feels the cold even with 6 layers!

Anyway, with the end of season sales about to hit, I was looking for any recommendations for a really warm jacket.

Thanks,

Ed
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ecsleath, perhaps she now needs to concentrate on what the layers are made of, and also what she is wearing on her head, feet and hands. Merino wool thermals and Falke socks have solved my cold problems. Then I wear a fleece jumper, then my ski jacket, although I will wear another layer if it is really cold. My jacket is by Ripcurl.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ecsleath, A duck-down qulited coat under a waterproof layer may help with the problem. Very breathable too.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
ecsleath, I also suffer, and really suffer, with the cold but seem to have cracked it this year. I also wear merino wool thermals, then either a polo neck or a fleece and then on top of that the new jacket I bought from North Face this year. It has a quilted long sleeved jacket which is quite smart with a couple of zip-up pockets in the outside at the front and an inside one that can be velcroed which is where a keep a few euros. Then on top is the shell (I think that is what it is called), again with lots of pockets and one on the sleeve for the ski pass which I never, ever open. No moans this year.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ecsleath, Of course I meant goose-down, but some of the synthetic downs are nearly as good these days and it doesn't matter so much if they get wet.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Cold...?

It was so warm in Courmayeur on Thursday-Saturday last week I had only a T-shirt on under my jacket and was absolutely sweltering...

Even on Monday-Tuesday when it was snowing I had only a light fleece base layer on, no thermals, no glove liners and only lightweight compression socks...

I'd suggest going skiing in March, it will solve all your cold problems... Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have found that I am much warmer in a jacket that is too big for me... a tight jacket seems to make me colder.

This year I got a Billabong jacket at TK Maxx for just £35 - it seemed very thin compared to my existing jacket, and was a tad too big... but I have never been so warm. Previously my warmest jacket was a Nevica one that had a titanium lining, again it was big for me. In between I have used a Surficant jacket that fits - it is nowhere near as warm (although it was warm enough), and I couldn't fit in extra layers if I had needed to. I think this year I would have been cold in it as it was -6 some days.

Christine
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I too suffer from the cold and last year I bought a North Face Greenland jacket, which is down filled. I have NEVER been so warm!
Previously, I wore lots of layers and still felt cold after being out a while. With my NF jacket, I wear a thermal layer (also by NF) and a thin fleece, then my jacket. We skiied in temps of -20 this year and I had no problems at all. I can thoroughly recommend it. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Primaloft is a good substitute for down. If it does get wet it still keeps you warm (down doesn't do this). It is light, easy to machine wash and squashes into a small package. A couple of the mountaineering brands make Primaloft mid-layer jackets.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Try a pertex/pile type smock under a jacket... buffalo or montane etc. They are sweltering, windproof, breathable and still keep warm when damp.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ecsleath, This may sound daft, but I always carry one of those glove warmer things (the ones that once you break the seal, they get warm and stay warm for about 8 -12 hrs). If I'm feeling the cold, I fire it up and put it in one of the inner pockets. Sitting on a lift with your arms folded, its like having a hot water bottle in your jacket. Get too hot and you can move it to an outside pocket. Cheaper than a new jacket Toofy Grin
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy