Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is Jasper like?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Thinking of going to Jasper for Christmas 2009 having recently returned from a great 10 days in Fernie - we love Canada snowHead

I know it is a long transfer, but are the conditions usually okay in December, do they make lots of snow or is this not required so far North?

Look forward to any feedback on places to stay, eat and things to do for non skiers. We would not be looking for wild nightlife, just good skiing, good food and things for Mrs CP to do ( with us maybe ) like snowshoeing, swimming, dog sleding........

TIA
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There's a thread on Jasper somewhere I think, with quite a lot of info.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Personally, I would say Jasper is well worth visiting, but only for 4-5 days, unless you are and expert skier into your off piste.

The main pisted ski area is good, but not very large.

As for other things, there is a good little museum in the town, and there are walks and ice skating around the lake which is by the Jasper Park Lodge (the Fairmont hotel we stayed at on the trip I had to Canada). That hotel also has a good indoor/outdoor swimming pool - great fun when the air temperature was -25C Smile I'm pretty sure there were dog sledding trips available too, but I can't remember for sure.

If you can manage 10 days or more, I would definitely make it a 2 centre trip, with more time in Banff or Lake Louise than in Jasper.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We did 3 weeks in Banff followed by 1 week in Jasper - stayed at the Jasper Park Lodge - very nice. The skiing is very good but not extensive - if you like French mega-resorts you'll get a bit frustrated. But, if you can ski the tough-stuff you'll love it. There's plenty of difficult terrain, and you can do runs like Rock Garden over and over without getting bored - it's genuinely difficult.

As alex_heney, says, combine it with a trip to Banff / Lake Louise.

Oh yes, and Jasper was one of the friendliest ski areas I've ever visited - great customer service.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you have children with you, check carefully what the ski school does with them. Three years ago, I booked my 6yr old son into 3 days' of lessons - billed as 2 hours a day.

Day 1 - arrived and met pleasant enough instructor. Picked boy up after 2 hours, which he, and the other 2 or 4 children seemed to have enjoyed. But they seemed to have been waiting for a wee while before we got there.
Day 2, as we dropped him off, they hadn't worked which instructor was taking the 2 kids out that day - eventually found one, not the same as the previous day; they were back at the daylodge a little over 90 minutes later, waiting for us - again they seemed to enjoy themselves.
Day 3 - he was the only child there, so the supervisor decided that it would only be a one hour lesson, because otherwise it's too tiring (so how does he ski all day with us, then?). Oh, and a different instructor again. I said I wouldn't be back until the 2 hours I had paid for were up and suggested that unilaterally changing the lesson length was not on; they stood their ground on teh lesson length, but agreed to put him in the kindergarten at the end. When I went to the kindergarten I was berated by the staff there for not giving them full contact details before dropping him off - I referred them to the ski school.

The contrast with the Big3 ski school in Banff could not be starker - 3 days' of lessons (10am-3pm, including lunch) in the same group and with the same teacher; which is a significant part of the reason we've done three trips to Banff since Jasper, and will not be back in Jasper until the boy needs less supervision on the slopes (or isn't with us).

A shame, because everything else about Jasper was nice - stayed at Jasper Inn, in a nice apartment; did a bit of exploring locally as we had a car for part of the trip - saw a pack of wolves cross the Maligne Lake road only a hundred yards from where we screeched to a halt (!!) and had a look at Lake Patricia (where the ice boat experiments took place).
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Our kids were less than impressed with Jasper's ski school, although that was some years ago.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
CP, sorry missed this, was in Jasper at the time, 14th-18th March just gone. Was there Christmas/New year '06-'07 also.

Fair chance we'll be there XMas/NY '09/'10 too, so may be able to help.

John (guy who PM'd you some Fernie info).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
BCjohnny, Thanks - I did put your advice on Fernie to good use, had a print out of it with me. We had a great time apart from me blowing my knee up, but it was on the last day snowHead Just had a MRI today so hope to find out what the damage is and get it fixed in good time for next season.

How was Jasper for Christmas?

PM me if you prefer.

Cheers

Clive
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
CP, Clive..................

Was there Xmas/New year '06/'07 (11 days), March '07 (14 days) & March '09 (14 days).

The snow was ok Xmas/New year, but Eagle East (where most of the "challenging" terrain is) was to all intents shut. Tends to be more doable Feb/Mar/Apr when snow cover is better. What the snow will be like Xmas this year is anybodys guess, but bear in mind Jasper gets much less snow than Fernie. It was still a bit bare (Off trail/ Double Black D's) couple of weeks back (between Fernie and Jasper this year have virtually wrecked a brand new board...........), but most of the main area was fine, if a little icy on occasion. Canada generally though has not had the best of snow this year. Historically though I think snow coverage over the festivities is not a major problem, not anymore so than most higher places in Europe.

The transfer is around 5 1/2 hrs, to Lake Louise then NW up the Icefields Parkway to Jasper. The IP can be a pretty amazing drive, in many ways, and is often snow covered. If it shuts due to snow, the transfer is via Edmonton, as happened to us first trip out on the return, and can be 8 1/2 hrs (longer than the flight back). It's almost a days travelling, door to door.

The "beginners" slopes are accessed off the Eagle Express lift from the base area, and seem as good a place as any to learn, with nice rolling gentle runs back to the base area. Absolute beginners use the Mighty Moose tow, with a real gentle run down. There are defined beginner areas too, and risk your pass if you take the p*ss. Most of the main area is good for intermediates/improvers, and the "Knob" & "Eagle East" for the more adventurous. There is some really good terrain, for an area of it's size, and I'd slightly disagree with the opinion that you'd struggle to do two weeks there. Like anywhere, it depends, as much as anything, on your ability. The run gradings are a bit of a joke as some of the lower black diamonds (ie Lift Line) are no more than a strong Euro blue. The trail map makes it look more difficult than it is.

The lift system is no more than ok, but there's a new Express Quad going in this summer from the base area to Paradise ridge, so that'll help. Queues are virtually now existent ('cept Saturdays), it's generally much less busy than Fernie, so deserted then. Mind you there are 180 Brits out there in the "Academy" at the mo, so you're more likely to bump into a native than a Canuck.

However............The grooming is very lazy, and the Caribou chair only runs weekends normally. Other smaller cost cutting endeavours also are in evidence, reflecting the hill being run by a local consortium rather than someone like RCR. The bus ride up everyday is 40 mins (30 mins down), and if you get the first bus up (around Xmas time) at 8.10am it's still dark when you get on!

Plenty of restaurants/eateries, from "Canadian" to Japanese, Tapas to Pizzas, and probably only three or four "proper" bars, of which the De'd Dog is the best. But bear in mind Canadas draconian "minor" laws (18 in AB not 19 as in BC), so if you've got young 'uns you're stuck with the "family" restaurants/pizzarias etc. They're not allowed in any of the bars full stop, even if drinking pop. The prices most places are very reasonable, including booze. The nightlife is definately laid back (though certainly not Fernie comatose), but if you want it livelier, there's Petes or the Atha B.

The locals are generally friendly, though the place is definately small town "cliquey", and I've heard others comment on how "tip hungry" the servers appear, often being quite blunt, though I've not seen it as much of a problem

Reasonable places of interest/tours for non sliders. Jasper has plenty of shops, the museum, train tours, walks (gentle hikes), Maligne Ice canyon walk, swimming pool, spas, ice skating, snow shoeing, dog sleds etc etc. Much more so than Fernie. My missus doesn't ski, and Jasper offers more, in her opinion. And as a lot of the local wildlife also likes to wander into town, deer mainly, you can get close to nature, though not too close.

Most of the accomodation is based around the lodges at the end of town, Marmot/Jasper/Lobstick/Tonquin, about 600 yds from downtown. The TO's do the Astoria and Whistlers Inn situated in downtown, the Whistlers probably being the better choice as the Astoria has smaller rooms (but is still good and has the D'ed Dog bar). 600 yds doesn't sound far, but when it's minus forty it may as well be ten miles..........

Be carefull if you spot a cheap deal to the JPL (Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge), as it's a real nice place (the Queen apparently stayed there), but quite pricey (if you have an average budget) and far enough out of the town for you to be captive there. One couple we met couldn't really justify the cost of eating there, but with cab fares into town had little choice. They were wrangling with the rep to get a switch into town last we spoke.

Did I mention it can get cold in Jasper? Like minus forty odd up the hill in March? Cold enough to shatter snowboard bindings? Smash the actuators/sensors off the lift cables?

Anyway, bit of a snapshot. Must admit though I like Jasper, kinda place that grows on you.

Hope it helps. Need more info, PM me.

John.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
BCjohnny wrote:
The locals are generally friendly, though the place is definately small town "cliquey", and I've heard others comment on how "tip hungry" the servers appear, often being quite blunt, though I've not seen it as much of a problem

Note tipping/service charge is not really optional throughout North America - it is part of their wage- you will get a lot of abuse if you don't give 15-20% anywhere.
It was my second trip to Jasper this year & I have never met friendlier locals anywhere. I went solo but was never short of friendly company. It is a small hill and I thought I would need to make some side trips this year but was blessed with fresh snow and there are some more tricky but named runs which were hardly skied and are great to work on your technique for a few days and still find some virgin snow. Best AAA corn fed Alberta Prime Rib in the World at Tonquin's, worth making the 3000 mile flight and 200 mile drive through the ice fields alone !! Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lechbob, Hiya Bob................

You left the day I got there, but asked Lisa about you, as I'd followed your post prior to going........

I understand the tipping regime as have been to Canada ten or more times last eight years, but others, even though they "accept" having to tip, found it a bit up front.

The locals are great, but I stand by my comments. "Cliquey" in that Jasper's no different to any small English village where everybody knows everyone elses business, and has an opinion about it. And is more than happy to let you in on the gossip too...........

And if a local ever invites you to a venison dinner, because he'd run over a deer that very same day and it needed eating as he couldn't get it all in the freezer, don't make the same mistake the five lads from Brighton made the one time I was there and think you won't have to pay for it. How we laughed as they ducked and dived for the last two days.......

Like I say, Jasper kinda grows on you.............

John.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BCjohnny, does BC stand for Black Country, Back Country or British Columbia Puzzled
The small town thing makes a refreshing difference to the impersonal mega resorts. Property ownership I am told is restricted to locals by the Parks Authority thereby there has been no real estate rush. I got to know some of the locals and had a chair reserved by the fire outside the Paradise Restaurant, its such a small hill that you met the same people regularly. 'Locals' also include people from Hinton & weeken skiers from Edmonton ! It is a break from full on skiing holidays. Tough life eh Smile
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lechbob, Black Country, yeah I know it's a bit lame...........

It does make a change from the normal RCR/Intrawest "resort", but some of their customer is king mantra when on the hill wouldn't go amiss.

And it is definately a place to take a less "full on" break, but try as I might it just never seems to work out that way.

John.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We spent a week there a few years ago 1st week in Jan and the snow wasn't good, it was a ppoor year though.

That said we loved it. We stayed at the Park lodge in a mountain view suite and had a magical time. We skated on real lakes, we drunk hot chocolates beside the firepits, we cross country skiied and saw elk whislt doing so etc. We saw big horn sheep a plenty, mountain goat, deer and best of all on the ski bus we saw a lynx, a really rare view according to the driver.

Maligne canyon I think is good for ice walks in winter- you can do tours.

I really like Jasper- we spent a another magical long weekend there in the summer- it was 35 degrees no bugs and awesome! The trip from Calgary is spectacular.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy