Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

just back from Chamonix

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I just got back from Chamonix after a weekend of snowboarding. A good fun weekend even if the number or runs were limited. On the way there we seemed to time the Mont Blanc tunnel badly. We got to within 5 cars of the entrance in15 mins when, for some reason, we didn't move for the next 45. Oh well, we got there eventually.

Apartment in Chamonix was excellent. Got up the next day to snow so we figured that le tour would be a good start as it doesnt go too high. Bad idea. The first run was great fun but we had just got down when one of the pisteurs told us that if we wanted to get back to Chamonix tonight we would have to go now. The cops were closing the road due to avalanche risk! doh. So we headed to La Flegere. There were two lifts open there so we rode them for the day/ Nice powder runs even if it was pretty limited. Very overcast with mostly poor visibility but the forecast was for a better Sunday afternoon.

It was all looking good going to bed that night with no snow falling, however we got up to 15cm of fresh snow and still bucketing down. From the previous days reports Les Hoches was the place to be so we headed there. All was open (the rest of Chamonix was the same as Sat ie practically closed) and I had one of the best days snowboarding yet. The powder was knee deep (deeper in parts) spent about 3 hours doing one drag lift which had a nice big powder field off it . Very wet cold and tired by 5 but it was worth it.

If you are going there this week then you should have some excellent conditions. Lets just hope they open a few more lifts.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Glad the telepathy worked Diarmuid and you got over to Les Houches! Now you know where to go when Grands Montets etc get socked in. Was going to answer one of your postings last week but got sidetracked. Sounds like L.H. was at its best....can you remember which drag you were boarding off? Col de Voza? There are a couple of real nutcrackers which I have yet to conquer....do you ride the lift with both feet in the bindings or rear/front leg free? If you should hit L.H. again in similar conditions try the area facing St.Gervais....there are some very sweet powder pockets and one very nice open field leading to an Argentinian restaurant. snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't know the name of the drag but on the piste map it was drag M. (run 25) As lifts go, it's quite challenging but I'm quite used to drags so it wasn't a major drama. A few friends did fall off it on take off (literally) but the upside was that it kept the crowds off the run Smile

Where is St Gervais on the map above?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Diarmuid, It's not. St Gervais is kinda off to the right of that map - maybe one of the small clumps of chalets is it? (am off to Le Fayet just down from St Gervais, in 10 days and have been eagle-eyeing the piste maps) Try this: http://www.st-gervais.net/ski/plandespistes_uk.htm
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
wow I didnt even realise that there was another resort that close. That will explain why there was some tracks below the M lift in Les Houches!!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Diarmuid, There's an off-piste line from the lowest lift in Les Houches back to St Gervais, it's very rarely skiable. Must have been pretty foggy if you couldn't see St Gervais from Les Houches though.

Better map here as well.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I was out in Argentiere last week and the amount of snow that fell was unbelievable. Digging the car out each morning was a great way to warm up before hitting the slopes.
High avalanche risk so we had a great day in the powder at Les Houches and up at Le Tour as well.
We spent a day at Megeve where we were up to the waist in fresh powder in lots of places.Quite superb.
On Sat before flying home from Geneva in the evening we went to St Gervais and up to Mt d Arbois over towards Megeve again.We had fresh tracks to ourselves virtually all day.Great runs down to Le Bettex as well. Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
"There's an off-piste line from the lowest lift in Les Houches back to St Gervais, it's very rarely skiable. Must have been pretty foggy if you couldn't see St Gervais from Les Houches though".
This run was closed last week as we had planned on doing it! Sad
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

wow I didnt even realise that there was another resort that close. That will explain why there was some tracks below the M lift in Les Houches!!
Spoiled for choice.....through the tunnel to Courmayeur and La Thuile, down the viaduct to Les Contamines, St G., Megeve, Combloux etc, over to Cluses and up to Les Carroz, Flaine etc and of course up the valley to the main Chamonix areas. Les Houches also has a completely separate beginnners' slope in the village with two drag lifts at about 10euros a day.
I've seen lots of people walk back up that slope you were on Diarmuid, having ignored the sign at the top explaining that the lift is a difficult one especially in icy conditions.
Skiing down to StG from LH is like what skiing down to Vallorcine from Le Tour used to be like....you need to connect with the train or have someone pick you up and as Ise mentions it's rarely skiable. snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy