Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Question about St Moritz

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone done this ("Ski Safari")?

http://www.engadin.stmoritz.ch/en/berge/aktivitaeten/id.7195/ls.ski/

Or this ("Glacier Downhill"):

http://www.engadin.stmoritz.ch/en/berge/aktivitaeten/id.7195/ls.ski/

Is a guide neccessary for either? The write-up seem to hint the routes are marked, and only in bad weather a that guide is neccessary?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In Jan 09 we didn't do the link between Corvatsch to St Moritz Bad and the Glacier run in the Safari and of course we did the circuit in several days. We avoided these two because our car was parked in Surlej/Furtschellas and Lagalb. This is one of the disadvantages of having a car as our journeys need to be returnable. Having said that we could always take a train and a bus to return to the car park had we planned ahead.

I don't think a guide is needed, certainly not skiing down from Corvatsch to St Moritz Bad because it is a marked black Run No. 5 with a restaurant in the middle.

I did hesitant at the top of Diavolezza to have a go at the Glacier run, which is marked as a "ski route" (not groomed) No. 31 in the piste. I saw quite a few fellow skiers just went for it during my temporary stop at the junction. This run is posted in many places in St Moritz and appeals to skiers with good ability.

We found to enjoy the mountains it was already a day's skiing to go from one end to another for both Corvatsch and Corviglia.

In general we found the black runs in St Moritz quite mild and suspect they were deliberately made to be so as we don't think visitors going there were after the extreme end of the sport but rather civilised and not excessively demanding skiing with nice restaurants dotted around everywhere. This is my own theory as my thought would be if I can prove myself by landing a plane at St Moritz airport, stayed in its world famous 5-star hotels, eat at its classy restaurants and shop at its ridiculously expansive designer shops I would not like to get hurt in some stupid piste. Having said that a skier able to ski 99km or 61.5 miles with 6.67km vertical drop and cover St Moritz in one day could regard himself/herself belonging to the extreme skiing group.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm pretty comfortable skiing on any "normal" black piste or their equivelant slope angle, off-piste or not. And in the worst case, I can get myself down pretty much of anything short of 30' cliffs!

That said, I'm not out to prove myself on snow for my holiday. Just looking at routes that stand out as interesting and scenic without finding myself at the bottom of a crevace or burried under a ton of avalanche. A sense of travel of course helps.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy