Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Knee injury help???

Poster: A snowHead
Hello all,

I have had a peruse of this site and found a few topics relating to my problem but nothing that is exactly the same so I was wondering if anyone could offer any adivce?

I had a kiteboarding incident 2 weeks back and managed to snap my ACL. I'm meant to be going snowboarding on the 21st march. When the doctor reviewed my MRI scans he said it may be possible for me to do some snowboarding as long as I take it relatively easy. However, this week the doctor rang me to explain that after another review of the MRI scans they have noticed I have fractured the bone slightly too. The doc did say that my chances of snowboarding are reduced. He did say that if I were to snowboard I wouldn't do the injury any more damage but it would hurt like hell. However, the physio and some medic friends have told me that it may cause permanent damage.

Has anyone got experience of trying to snowboard with a similar injury? Can anyone recommend any kind of support that may help? (preferably one in the £50-£100 region)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

Tom
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
DunkerT, welcome to snowHeads.

I'm not a medic, but it sounds to me as if you might be risking decades of enjoyment by being too desperate for your next fix.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DunkerT, I know that boarding is more of a two-legged support while skiing is more one-legged but I still would not recommend one of my patients to board 3 weeks after an ACL rupture associated with what-sounds-like a bone-bruise. Sorry but I think it would be a bad idea (and I'm not just saying that because you are from the dark side wink )
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ok, thanks for your help. totally gutted but I think you're porbably right.
Thanks again
Tom
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have to say 10 out of 10 for "up for it" ness though. Three weeks after my own ACL rupture coupled with a minor fracture I was still hobbling and milking sympathy. Much as I love the snow there is no way I could have contemplated getting back on skis so soon.

Good luck with getting better - I recommend you get a great physio as there's probably a little bit of work to be done between now and your next boarding fix.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
DunkerT, I would advise caution. Having snapped my ACL last April, I also damaged all the other ligaments and bruised the bone. I may also have some meniscular damage lurking as the scans are not always as definitive as Docs would like. So there may be damage in there you don't know about.

I elected not to have surgery (yet) and I went skiing again with the blessing of the consultant and physio in Jan this year. However, I went the whole hog with the Ossur CTi brace which costs about 4x your budget but does the business. The risk of falling and not having protection for what is left of my knee was too much for me.

Hope this helps and that the rehab continues to go well.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I was on an off piste course with an American girl with a torn ACL. She was a good skier and had torn the ligament two weeks earlier but had already paid up for the course I was on. She had a top notch knee brace and was lined up for an operation the following week so decided to risk it. She skied most of the week, only skipped one day.

Not saying I'd recommend it but it can be done, really depends on the individual.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rich,
Quote:

She had a top notch knee brace and was lined up for an operation the following week so decided to risk it.

There's the rub - with a well fitted custom ACL brace you can limit further damage but not avoid it. These braces cost upwards of 500 quid and they are more or less made to measure. And you negate most of the effectiveness if you wear it outside of your clothing as I see far too many idiots doing.

I've got a Townsend Design Rebel CI (complex instabilities) - cost my insurer the best part of 1000 Euros but that's their problem not mine Toofy Grin

If you have a non-displaced tibial plateau fracture and go off snowboarding even with a brace you are risking displacing it and a much more complex repair requiring possibly plating and screwing. And that's before they do the ACL!

Several people have mentioned the Knee Geeks site - the forums are useful if you know what to look for but the Information Hub is a gold mine of information about all aspects of knee injuries. Another good site is The Ortho Associates. http://www.orthoassociates.com/sp11be/ - a wee bit OTT in places as it is American but very informative.

Sue wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks very much guys. All the advice is much appreciated. I do have a physio on my BUPA insurance so am going through my daily excercises to build up the muscles. The knee doesn't feel too bad at the moment. Still very swollen but I can hobble along without my crutches around the house. I will be having the surgery in around 4 or 5 weeks. I have a very active lifestyle so the doc said it was a good idea. It just seems that the doc and physio don't want to say either way for definate (fear of court case perhaps?) but I suppose at the end of the day, only i know how bad it feels.... Ill be going on the hol anyway for my wife to ski so I think.... buy a brace, take my kit with me anyway and see how I feel.....maybe just enjoy the apres ski a bit earlier.

Thanks again

Tom
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
DunkerT, bad news on your injury - I also did mine (ACL) last April: opted for elective surgery in May at the Jonathan Webb clinic (top of Blackboy Hill opposite the Downs) as I figured that the NHS would not schedule the op soon enough (if at all, at my age Evil or Very Mad ) to get me back on snow this season.

JW is a top bloke, ex England rugby fullback - 33 caps - highly regarded in ACL surgery etc

Op. appears to have been a success, but have postponed return to sliding until late season (La Plagne over Easter) although JW gave me the all-clear at the end of the year.

If you're considering a brace, as Samerberg Sue said anything of any use is circa £500: Donjoy & Cti are the ones to go for - as you're Bristol based, Cti have a {clinic in Cardiff} which may be worth a look, and do "off the shelf" as well as custom braces.

I had been seriously considering a brace post op (mainly as a psychological "crutch" rather than a physical requirement), but the general consensus is that if you've had the op AND FOLLOWED THE POST-OP REHAB the rebuilt ACL& strengthened leg-muscles should be as good if not better than before.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sun 15-03-09 11:40; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Forgot to mention - check out the http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/ as Sue mentioned above...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bit of a coincidence here. I am also seeing Jonathan Webb....been very pleased so far. First time he saw me he explained everything very clearly, even producing knee models to demonstrate what had happened. Makes a change from how the NHS dealt with me. My dad was impressed too, big rugby fan. I think JW will be doing my surgery too and Gill is my physio who I'm also very pleased with....explains everything very well.
I think £500 is a bit much for me....amost as much as the hol cost! Thanks for the help though. I will have a look at the Cardiff clinic, maybe an off the shelf will work for a bit less cash.
Not looking forward to surgery on my knee though..sounds pretty painful.

Cheers,

Tom
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Pain wasn't too much of an issue, as they dose you up with a cocktail of Coedine Phosphate, Voltarol & Parecetamol - word of advice: get in a supply of laxatives, as the opiates really "bung you up" if you get my drift Laughing

If you're after a {Cryocuff}: I could do you a deal on mine, as hopefully I won't need it again (I could always buy it back again if I did Skullie )
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DunkerT, I agree with Samerberg Sue, and geoffers,

Did my ACL on New Years Day 2008. I had another holiday booked for February and TBH decided not to even try skiing. Made the most of it acting as kit man and having the beers lined up at the end of the day. The only time I really felt gutted was watching them ski away on the first morning. I went and got snowshoes and poles and walked my frustration off - which was also good physio.

Had elective surgery in late May, stuck to the routine like glue and skiied for two weeks in January with no problems.

As a result of all the physio and training I have not been as fit or my legs as strong as they are now for the best part of twenty years. I also got some seriously good personal instruction In January and my skiing is now at a much better level.

One thing about the surgery itself I had a general anaesthetic and there was very little pain in the knee post op.

So my advice is bite the bullet and don't risk any more damage, make the most of your holiday in other ways and use the whole process to build yourself up to a higher level.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DunkerT, JW is an amazing ortho - he helped rebuild my knee in the late 80/early 90s and was the only one in the team who believed and supported me in wanting to return to sports. He was still in training when I knew him but he was a great motivator and supported me in fighting for more work to be done in order to help me return to sports.

Good luck - work on getting the swelling down and the mobility back and the chances of returning to normal sports are excellent. Don't waste any money yet on a brace. Wait and then ask Webbie what he thinks after you've had the op and done the rehab.

Sue wink
snow report
Thanks guys. It's really cool to see that there is a lot of useful information and good wishes from people on this site. Looks like I'm in good hands with JW. From the looks of things it's probably best if I am beer boy and photographer for the hol, would be terrible if I wrecked my knee for good as I do a lot of extreme sports and would be devastated if I messed it up for one ski hol. I'll try and post on the site how it goes....
Thanks again for all the help and support (and heads up on the laxatives!)
Tom
snow report
Hi guys,

I did go to Livigno last week, managed to do a little snowboarding, most mornings I did a run or two. The snow was absolutely awesome and I couldn't resist. Knee feels ok, had my physio on Wed and she said everything looks fine. It was quite painful some mornings, especially the morning after the late night trip to the bar. Can't remember what happened but was very painful the next day!
Geoffers, I would be interested in buying the CryoCuff off yourself, the physio has suggested that I get one......is there anyway to get in contact?
Cheers,
tom
latest report
DunkerT, send geoffers a private message - at the top of the page under the Snowheads banner, click on "Send/Read messages"
latest report
DunkerT, one other thoought, if you went boarding would it invalidate any further BUPA cover should something be further damaged and you were going against physios advice?????
snow report
kitenski, Ahh there are careful questions you can ask without going against advice.

Don't ask "can I go skiing/boarding?", ask "are there are any limitations on the activities I might normally do?" wink
snow conditions
Samerberg Sue wrote:
DunkerT, JW is an amazing ortho

Aah - the orthopaedic surgeons orthopaedic surgeon wink
ski holidays
DunkerT, have pm'ed you with contact details...
snow conditions
fatbob, I like your style, I will file that one away for future reference Smile
snow report
No, I did check about BUPA cover. As the physio and surgeon never said that I couldn't go then my cover was still fine. And the holiday insurance covered my knee completely for an extra £50 or so.
latest report
DunkerT, Fair play to you for going so quickly, I must be a fanny, ruptured my ACL in left knee and MCL in right and left 5 weeks ago and I am still hobbling around like an idiot and have only got 85 degrees of movement in my left and seem to have hit a brick wall. I am seeing Consultant again next week for further diagnosis, I wasn't convinced I'd be ready for next season but after reading your crazy story...............
latest report
you big fanny!!!!!!
no....only joking. All injuries are different and if your MCLs are gone too it must be pretty painful. All I could suggest is work hard at the rehab.....hopefully you'll be riding that fresh powder next season.
Since the doc gave it the ok, I have tried to push my knee as much as possible and it almost feels normal now, a little unstable every now and again and a slight limp but nothing that has stopped me doing anything. I did go walking this weekend and seemed to manage ok. I'm off to see the doc tomorrow to book in my op. Then I'll be back to stage one again! Boo.
Good Luck with everything.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy