Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sod the cost, it's about piste peace of mind.....

Would you pay more for insurance with your ski pass?
Yes
100%
 100%  [ 3 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Voted : 31
Total Votes : 3

Poster: A snowHead
The issue of insurance raises it's head again on another thread. What are we covered for? If we require medical attention how much of the folding do we need to carry about to ensure we get even elementary medical care?

I propose a compulsory expansion of the Carre Neige system that would see an increase in the cost of one's ski-pass to provide medical insurance cover in the event that assistance is required.

This would cover all aspects of skiing, whether on or off-piste, racing, training etc etc. It would have the benefit of ensuring that all skiers/boarders are adequately covered and that should an accident occur as the result of someone else's actions, they would also be covered.

This woudn't remove the need to take out personal insurance for obvious reasons. But it would ensure that skiers wouldn't be taken to a medical centre via the cashpoint first - as happened to a friend of my brother in law when they were skiing together a couple of years ago in France.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think it should be. As I noted in the other thread, rescue off the mountain, and frist aid, was free for me at Fernie. I suspect the first aid centre was run by volunteers - there is quite a community spirit there. Even so, there were costs - facilities, liability insurance - so I guess all that was paid for by the lift company, and recovered through lift pass costs.

PS. I see the poll results are not working.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I suspect that this is uniquely a French resorts' problem. Have not skied much in France and luckly enough never required medical services there. But I was appalled to read on another thread of the lady who broke her collarbone and had to get cash from an ATM to pay the french medical and rescue bills.

Do we know definatively, apart from France, what other skiing countries are not covered?. I always though that if you had adequate insurance and the relevant form E111 that you were fully covered. And in the three times I ventured to French resorts no one brought this to my attention until I read the other thread yesterday.

Therefore the suggestion made by Mark Hunter has a lot of merit. snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
France isn't alone. My fellow biker had an accident in Switzerland and spent most of his time in hospital sorting out the insurances. Even the police has to be paid for their time attending a self-inflicted accident. He ran his bike into an armco!

I think his personal accident cover, in addition to E111, paid the hospital bill. His motor insurance cover any claim against damage to street funiture, his European recovery paid for the repatriation of the written-off bike and I have no idea who paid for his return trip by plane.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hibernia, as I've just mentioned on the other thread, the E111 is only for basic medical cover via the state system of whichever member country you are in.
Mark Hunter, I imagine that you could insist on being taken to/treated by a state facility. When one is taken ill in France in most cases that choice exists.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
saikee, but did they ask for the money first ? Or did they treat your friend first after say being assured they had insurance cover ?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
saikee, that's also my experience in Switzerland, a guy who was staying in the same chalet as us in Chatel a few years ago, was injured in Switzerland. I was on the spot and got involved in the discussions with the pisteurs and the helicopter crew, who included a docter and paramedic. I knew he had a Carte Neige, we'd bought our lift tickets at the same time, and that convinced them that they would be paid. I had to drive to the hospital in Monthey that night with all of his insurance details. Without a Carte Neige his bill would have been horrendous, helicopters are charged by the minute from the time the first call is received.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think it reasonable that, once one is taken off the mountain, insurance swings into play. So what happened to saikee's friend is what I would expect anywhere - even though it's a nasty experience. What is causing me to reflect is the question of carrying €500 as per snowbunny's recommendation, in case I need medical rescue. Heaven help me if I need a helicopter. If Carre Neige gives the necessary cover fine. If not, I'll ski elswhere.

David@traxvax, I was interested to see that the Carte Neige, bought in Chatel, gave cover in Switzerland, too. Is that genreal, or just a Portes du Soleil thing?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nick Zotov, the carte neige give you cover all around the world via 'Mondial Assistance'.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's just a French issue - vote with your feet if you don't like it, there are plenty of other places you can go skiing where the local rescue & medical services take a less 'commercial' attitude.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PG, thanks for that. Looks as though that's the way to go for us visitors.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nick Zotov, bear in mind we've discussed its shortcomings elsewhere - third party liability issues, for example.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sorry guys, the poll obviously isn't working and I do think this is an issue that is worth getting a view on. Personal insurance for secondary medical care would still be required, and would also cover on-going costs. But a compulsory insurance that is included in your ski pass to cover initial care would provide peace of mind and remove the "We'll be driving to the cashpoint first" absurdity.

So, that'll be a YES from me.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I ended up in the trauma clinic in Livigno a couple of years ago. The receiptionist took my insurance details, 'phoned Nationwide and asked if they'd pay directly to the clinic. All I ended up paying was the excess directly to the clinic. I didn't need airlifting, though, managing to ski part way back then get a taxi.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just collected my seasons Carte Neige. At EU44 it has to be the best bargain of the season so far. I've backed it up by full non-ski travel insurance too.
ski holidays
I had to be taken off the mountain with a dislocated shoulder in Andorra. They took me to the local clinic, my shoulder was put back (no anasethetic!) and then I was packed off with painkillers. It was basic but effective and no one asked me for insurance details at all. I too was horrified to hear of the broken collar bone lady in France. I agree, if this is a big problem in France, then a compulsory Carte Neige would be a good idea. But if that is extended all over Europe, won't that be much more expensive? How much extra does it cost per card? If you ski say 4 times a year I would have thought you'd be better off with the usual annual policy? Is the experience of being asked for money with meances widespread? I know of at least two people who've had to be carted off the mountain in Courchevel who have not been asked for money. I seem to recall hearing a terrible story of someone having a bad climbing accident and lying around with broken legs for days whilst insurance details were confirmed, but I don't think that was Europe.
snow report
A figure of €2.50 per card per day was mentioned on another thread. If it was made compulsory, would it be reasonable to assume that the cost could go down by virtue of the increased volume?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy