Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow Leopard qualifies for Winter Olympics

Poster: A snowHead
Kwame Nkrumah-Acheampong, nicknamed "the Snow Leopard", has become the first Ghanaian ever to qualify for the Winter Olympics, to be held next year in Vancouver. Born in Glasgow, the African skier trained in Milton Keynes and only saw snow for the first time 5years ago. ...Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/4979323/African-skier-from-Glasgow-qualifies-for-Winter-Olympics.html
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
And Snow Leopard is a member of Snowheads! snowHead

I hope he posts here some details of his experiences when he gets to the Winter Olympics! Smile
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Superb. Truly outstanding.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I really don't want to put a downer on this but I hope Kwame isn't counting his chickens too early.
The date for when the International Ski federation announces which skiers from each nation have been allocated to the games is not announced until 18th Jan 2010. There is maximum number of Alpine ski racers from the whole world of 320 allowed at the games.
Each of the top 10 alpine nations will probably take their maximum quota of 22 = 220. Then there will be about another 10 lesser Alpine ski nations who will take anywhere between 5 - 10 racers. (GB will probably take 6) = up to 100. The rest of the allocated slots if there are any, will then be awarded to the even lesser alpine skiing nations in world ranking order.

As hard as Kwame has trained for this and as much as he wants to go it is still not set in stone. Yes he has achieved the necessary FIS points of less than 140 in slalom (137.5 ish) to be selected under the B standard but he has a world ranking of around 5100.

All the selection criteria are on http://www.skiandsnowboard.org.au/pdfs/FIS-Qualification-System_Vancouver-2010__JANUARY08_eng.pdf

Great Britain plus all of the other alpine nations have even harder selection criteria to achieve to get to the games set by their own National Olympic Committees.
As there is another 7 weeks of this season to go and 12 weeks of next season to qualify in, it may mean that even more skiers from other nations will achieve the standard and take more of those slots up.

Just to also put it in perspective - My son is world ranked 265 in Downhill, 273 in Super G and 340 in Super Combined and is still a Junior. But unless he gets a top 20 in a Europa cup race within 3% of the winners time he will not be selected to go.

As much as Kwame's dream is to go to the Olympics, we all have dreams. I hope he isn't disappointed.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kramer wrote:
Truly outstanding.

Not really.

To qualify as a ski instructor you have to achieve approx 120 FIS points at GS which is a higher standard than the Olympic qualification.

Why did the BBC think this was so newsworthy?
I don't recall such exposure being given to the British skiers who qualified/completed in the recent World Championships
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Okay here I am

I had to do this some years back to get things straightened out. PG was prepared to eat his hat if I qualified, so PG my friend if you read this its lunch time. Ah by the way PG i left something for you in Val d'l sere hope you have picked it up.

Okay PLUGBOY , I think you have got your facts a bit twisted up. Every nation is allowed 1 racer who is qualified. If you have a number of racers in the top 500 then you can have automatic 4 places. Dont worry you are not going to get my hopes down had 5 years of that I am immune. So it is rather a problem for the nations with super goood racers, some oof them will never see an Olympic slope.

Hello Stewart Woodward. I see that maybe you are an instructor. Excuse me to say, the instructor qualification can be done with 1 ski on, a patch over yourr eye, and a small wind breaking parachute. I am not a British skier, I am from Ghana so maybe that is the reason BBC is interested. I have my sunny day after 5 years of rain, I think I am going to get a TAN whatever people say. If you think the iinstructor course is difficult, I will take it to make you happy. Have you got a cap ready, cause you might have to have lunch with PG.

After the instructor test is taken, I will invite you for my own test. 6km of super G and Giant Slalom like racing in Val Gardena. All you have to do is finish the race, I wont set any time or point mark on you, and you have to beat me. FIS racing is not some instructor giant slalom course set on a smooth slope in France with control gates and some forrunner who wantsto get off the slope as fast as they can to the bar. Its about getting down a bob run, holding a jackk hammer with a bib number 120 on you.

Will be back later wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Its always fun to be on this website and i stil have my snowheads beanie, one of my favourite scull caps.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have some good friends in the British Ski Team. Its unfortunate that they dont get much press, but I think that might be due to the Snowsport GB not putting in enough into marketing their racers.

I seriously admire racers such as Chemmy, Alan, Noel, and Finley, and its a shame they are sidelined for football and rugby. So if you want to see more of them Stewart, you are going to have to talk more about them, and maybe ask Snowsport GB whats up, and also start a campaign in UK to ackowledge all sportsmen because from what I have gathered about UK sports public over the years its always you must win, and once you do make sure you never loose again or else!!!!!.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowleopard, I wish you the very best of luck with your preparations and hope you'll take the time to keep us updated.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Aaaah and I forgot to add my points are valid for 12 months. Though I am not going to just sit back and take it easy. I will be back training and racing once I fix my leg. Was supposed to be heading out for 4 races but have to get sorted, get a summer job and work a bit to raise some funds before dong anything again. so looking to keep getting my points down.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Will keep you guys updated anyone know where PG is we are supposed to have lunch with a hat.

Its going to be tougher it looks but I think after 5 years of slugging it out I can do one more, and thanks to all snowheads for their suppirt over the years. Still have to attend one of the season parties
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowleopard, last I heard, PG was here. Well done and good luck.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowleopard, good luck mate. you sound like you're working very hard to achieve your dream. hope you get there. in the meantime, the rest of us will just continue pootling down the normal pistes tyvm... Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hello Slikedges and Sherloc235

Thanks very much or the kind words and will do my best to keep coming back to this thread to let you know hat I am up to, as well as info on the instructor course qualification once I hook up with Mr Stewart Woodward, as wel as how he does in my test.

Yeeepppee just realised I will be in Vancouver, sorrry still pintching myself from time to time
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowleopard, very best of luck over the coming months in preparation for your potential olympic debut.

FWIW I think this is newsworthy. It's newsworthy because it is unusual for someone from a non-skiing nation, who learnt to ski in a fridge and first saw snow 5 years ago. That alone makes it more of a public interest story than what a lot of the existing ski team do. I don't mean that this necessarily reflects my opinion, as I have tons of respect for the unbelievably hard work that the likes of Chemmy and Noel put in on a daily basis, as well as the rising stars coming up through the ranks and working just as hard, but the fact is that when I'm all excited about Chemmy's or Noel's latest result, nobody for example in my office who doesn't ski is that interested (rightly or wrongly), but most people were interested in this. It's newsworthy because it's unusual, as well as being a great achievement. I think it's possible to be impressed with this and impressed with what the GB ski team do all at the same time!

Again snowleopard, all the best of luck!

D
ski holidays
Fantastic news snowleopard
Just stay focused and get the job done mate
latest report
stewart woodward, that is a bit harsh... anyone who can go from a beginner to 140 FIS points in 5 years has jumped a massive hurdle. Not too many people can lay claim to such a great achievement. Would you feel the same way if one of your students went on to pass the Eurotest in the same timeframe? snowHead
snow conditions
snowleopard, I'd love for you to win a medal! snowHead
ski holidays
snowleopard, we watched your story on the BBC news yesterday and thought it was a truly fantastic item! Our son is 9 and about to start his second full year of racing and is ambitious enough even now to be talk about 'when' he races on the World Cup circuit, as opposed to 'if'....

Your story reminded us of 'Cool Runnings' from a few years back and we really hope you have a good time out in Vancouver. Maybe we'll see you at MK for their Club National later in the year? I think it would be great for the youngsters if you could make it.

One more thing.......next time you get on TV, why not wear your snowHead beanie?

All the luck in the world to you.
ski holidays
snowleopard wrote:
I will invite you for my own test. 6km of super G and Giant Slalom like racing in Val Gardena. All you have to do is finish the race, I wont set any time or point mark on you, and you have to beat me. -)

I am always up for a challenge so let me know the next time you are training in the Tignes area Laughing

A ski instructor against an inspiring Olympian should be a good challenge.

Do different colour hats taste different wink

ps. What happened to the orange helmet
snow report
snowleopard, well done mate - congratulations !
snow conditions
Top work Snowleopard...

I too seriously admire Chemmy Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
cfc5mu0, yeah, but i'm betting not in the same way as you do snowleopard... wink
latest report
Hello good people of the snoweads

Back this evening after some serious baby sitting. Hi Stewart the callenge will not be in Tigne, as I will not be coming to France. Dont worry as a fit instructor who probably skis everyday 6km with 110 gates should be nothing. I have go some tasty hats available, so just tell me if you like spicy, veg, or you are a meat eater as I have an old cowboy hat available too [beef jerky style]. With the orange helmet I gave it out as a gift, each year I try to help young ski athletes through a competition I organise.

Like to say thanks to all the guys who posted goodwill messages today e.g smokin joe etc etc
ski holidays
I think we all admire Chemmy seriously
snow report
snowleopard, you have achieved something awesome there - from nothing to olympic qualifying in 5 years with none of the advantages and loads of obstacles to overcome. I am sure that it took incredible dedication and sacrifices - many congratulations.

So good to see you posting again as well. Very Happy snowHead
snow report
I think the biggest congrats is to my wife. She put up with all the stress and supporting my dream. She is the real Olympian
latest report
snowleopard, congratulations!

Quote:

One more thing.......next time you get on TV, why not wear your snowHead beanie?

Seconded Wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowleopard, After five years I was classified as the most dangerous man on the mountain, Now I'm just a man on the mountain.

Well done Smile
latest report
snowleopard wrote:
I think the biggest congrats is to my wife. She put up with all the stress and supporting my dream. She is the real Olympian

I seriously hope that you aren't making her wax your skis every night Laughing

Well done mate... will be watching your adventures with interest. Fingers crossed for a snowHeads Champ Cool
latest report
snowleopard, I started skiing 5 years ago too and I think what you've achieved in that time is astonishing. Good one! snowHead
ski holidays
snowleapard, great one ! Fantastic to see your progress. My kids still talk about the fundraiser races you did at MK the other year - are you planning another - it'd sure be well supported given the recent publicity and all the good wishes from Snowheads. Very Happy
snow report
Skimotteret - There are many British youngsters who have done this! from nothing to less than 140 points in 5 years - Some have done it in there first handful of FIS races and had only been on snow for about 4 years. At the moment there are 46 British junior racers who would qualify under the B category for the Olympics by being under 140 points. Lets get this into perspective. The B category qualification is easy. Selection to the Part time Junior England B team is harder, less than 120 points in slalom! The Junior GB team is well under 100 points. We are classed as non alpine nation too.

I know how hard the Snow Leopard has trained to get where he is - being a parent of a full time skier who will make it to the Olympics and world cup on ability, who trains just as hard if not harder than Kwame, I know of all the dedication, pain, injuries and determination put into being at the very top. Not to mention 9 months away from home each year.

It is nice to be the only skier from your country who races, it certainly makes it easier for you to get selected for the Olympics!!! Ask Dow Travers. He is registered for the Cayman islands ski team. He had a falling out with the British set up so decided to ski for them. He went to the World champs and will probably go to the Olympics next year. He would not even get into the England C team!

Laundryman - I think you will be hoping a long time for a medal to come. Even Kwame would agree that he hasn't got a prayer in getting one!! There is the qualification race to go first before the race proper at the Olympics and going on what happened at the world champs last month I wouldn't put any money on him!

Sorry to sound so negative but I just can't see what all the amazement is about. If Kwame skied for GBR then there would be no headlines or TV articles at all.

Kwame - If you are up for a challenge which you seem to be. How about racing at the British champs at Meribel in just over 2 weeks time against all the British Juniors and see how many you beat? I will even lend you a pair of Downhill skis to race in the Downhill if you like? The FIS points are always good there! I'll get a pork pie flavoured hat ready to eat if you get inside the top 50 of the Senior GS or Slalom; or top 30 in the junior GS or Slalom.

I'll probably get stick from others for saying all this. But I'm a realist and can't see what all the fuss is about - Sorry!
snow report
Plugboy wrote:
... There are many British youngsters who have done this! ...

My amazement and delight for Kwame is that unlike many "youngsters" who might well have skied since they could walk, he did not even begin skiing until he was 28? There is a huge difference here which you are missing.

Had he joined snowHeads before he started, Whitegold would have advised him to snowboard, telling him that he is to old to learn to ski properly! Anyone remember this post from a couple of years ago?

Whitegold wrote:
...If you are over about 28-years-old (biological middle-age), take up snowboarding. It is much easier, simpler and quicker to learn (fewer edges and no poles). Beginning skiing at such a late age is difficult and will likely consign you to a life of substandard mediocrity...
snow conditions
Plugboy wrote:
But I'm a realist and can't see what all the fuss is about - Sorry!

I agree.

I am planning on going to watch some of the British Champs and will bring along some Ketchup, HP Sauce & Mayo, just in case there is any 'hat' eating going on wink
snow report
Plugboy, Perhaps we need to agree to disagree on this one wink The results of all the young british racers is admirable as well, but i still think it is a great accomplishment for a 28 year old beginner to qualify, and, given he is African and started skiing in a snowdome makes it great press as well. All my mates in the pub thought it was brilliant snowHead

stewart woodward, I will be out for the Brits and will keep an eye out for you snowHead
ski holidays
Congratulations Snowleopard. That's amazing news! Keep working hard.Have you anymore plans to organise another "Snow Leopard Challenge" Ski race? My two also enjoyed the last one back in August 2007 that was backed by Mysnowsports.
Your sponsorship was amazing and all the competitors enjoyed the gifts you were throwing out!! Nice to be able to help the youngsters too along the way...
We'll hang onto the limited edition Snow leopard crash helmet just in case you lift the Gold medal!! Laughing wink
snow conditions
Plugboy, it's news for the same reason that it's news when a British skier gets into the top 15 in anything but not when an Austrian, Swiss, Italian, French, Norwegian etc etc. And that he didn't learn till he was 28yr old. A British kid who starts at 4 or 5, has opportunities, races dry then goes to BSA etc is not news even if a much better skier than Kwame. Sorry.
latest report
I have to agree with plugboy.

Whilst it is a reasonable acheivement to have qualified for the olympics, less than 140 points in 5 years is not amazng and the only reason the news agengies are interested is due to the novelty factor.

Much like Eddie the Eagle or Eric the Eel from swimming a few years ago.

I, for one, will be very interested to see if he is able to acheive a points score anywhere near the one he got in Iran. This is the race that dropped his points.
snow report
Philbo, just saying that it is news and maybe we should be pleased for him and not that he's necessarily then going to go on to beat the world.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sat 14-03-09 20:04; edited 1 time in total
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy