Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Transferring/Shifting weight...

Poster: A snowHead
As you all know, I am forever trying to improve and perfect my technique. My skiing is not too bad but could be a lot better. I have had group lessons (as you do when you are learning) and quite a few private lessons. I have now bought a book and DVD (Warren Smith) and have been looking at the Daily Mail Ski and Snowboard Magazine.

However, I can't find anything anywhere on transferring/shifting weight or weighting/unweighting. I've had a look on here too but can't see anything.

Anybody help?

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jb1970, hmm another can of worms eh Toofy Grin Have a look at the dates of the references at the bottom of this article http://www.btinternet.com/~diptone/arp/bioski.htm

Might give you a clue as to why you haven't seen much mention wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
.. oh and I wonder what Ali would say if he saw his pic being used in that Confused He would say - if you transfer weight from one ski to the other you just keep going where you were going before but now you're standing on the other ski Toofy Grin
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I knew Heckleman was old school, but I didn't realise but quite how much...

jb1970, whatever you do, don't read that article!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's incredibly simplistic and probably only of use to beginners as a notion, but one thing that helped me hugely was a particular Snowhead instructor suggesting to me that it was like the pedals of a bike: As you push down on one side (pressure on) the other side comes up (pressure off). In a way as you turn you can't really do one without the other. I'm starting to go get a better hang of things these days, but the times I still find myself consciously thinking 'pedals of a bike, pressure on one, pressure off the other'. At my level it works wonderfully and is a simple easy to visualise concept. It doesn't help with which point in the turn you consciously get from one to the other, but I think instinct and 'bravery' has a role to play here in helping you decide when and how heavy to apply the pressure.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Megamum, ah but you're talking about pressure wink A somewhat different concept to that of "weight". rob@rar, well spotted Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yoda, That's an interesting observation, I editted what I originally wrote to (pressure on), (pressure off) However, I did originally have the words (weight on), (weight off) Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum, in skiing terms pressure is something that you can actively manage, whereas I suspect you would have some trouble changing your weight (or the various accelerative forces acting upon you) during the length of a ski run wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yoda, I see where you are coming from Cool . Though it is very tempting to think of increased pressure on a ski as being increased weight on it.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
jb1970, now that you've been told what not to do wink, do search on 'transitions'.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes, best ignore my whisky fuelled mischief making above Very Happy I'll leave this to more sensible/knowledgeable folk to help you along Laughing

now, where did I put those Heckelman "Ski Tips" tapes.....
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yoda, do you have the one for Jet Turns?

(assuming jets had been invented, of course)

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 13-03-09 1:48; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
comprex, I do indeed - Madeye-Smiley

I'm in Bangkok at the moment but could sort out a clip for you when I get home. Meanwhile here's one I prepared earlier..

http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/photo/7983
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum wrote:
It's incredibly simplistic and probably only of use to beginners as a notion, but one thing that helped me hugely was a particular Snowhead instructor suggesting to me that it was like the pedals of a bike: As you push down on one side (pressure on) the other side comes up (pressure off). In a way as you turn you can't really do one without the other. I'm starting to go get a better hang of things these days, but the times I still find myself consciously thinking 'pedals of a bike, pressure on one, pressure off the other'. At my level it works wonderfully and is a simple easy to visualise concept. It doesn't help with which point in the turn you consciously get from one to the other, but I think instinct and 'bravery' has a role to play here in helping you decide when and how heavy to apply the pressure.

That's a really good one - thanks to whichever Snowhead that was, it's definitely in my box of tricks now! That'll work really well for kids Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DaveC wrote:

That's a really good one - thanks to whichever Snowhead that was, it's definitely in my box of tricks now! That'll work really well for kids :D

Ever used the Slinky one to make them transfer really slowly, like a Slinky from hand to hand?

http://youtube.com/v/QXhBJycQ7y0
ski holidays
Megamum, the pedalling image is a good one but comes straight out of the BASI manual.... wink
ski holidays
skimottaret, quite Wink Wink (just about every instructor worth his salt has used that one). And that Slinky one sounds good too.
snow report
Well, many thanks to whoever wrote the BASI handbook!!!, I think its a really useful concept. For the record it was our very own Spyderman that ran it past me Very Happy .
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy