Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How much bad luck can you have?

Poster: A snowHead
We don't seem to have had a good time of it recently. Multiple injuries to me (broken wrist last August, damaged knee ligament at Christmas, then on IV antibiotics for chest infection in Jan/Feb). So we set off on 1st March to Courchevel for a ski holiday hoping that this time things would go well. We had lessons booked with a BASI Trainer to try and prepare for Level 2. The weather wasn't that good, and we were trying to do something relatively difficult (but which I was doing well), when I took an innocuous fall in poor visibility. Only it wasn't innocuous. My knee hurt!

I managed to side slip/ski down on one ski on the unaffected leg but when I got to the medical centre it was clear that something was amiss - my leg wasn't straight for one thing! I had a tibial plateau fracture and ruptured ACL on the right leg Sad

I was carted off to hospital in Moutiers, where I had an op to fix and plate the fracture (nothing done for the ACL as that isn't the priority). Poor Stephen had to commute by bus between the ski resort and Moutiers, sometimes staying in a local hotel. None of the staff spoke English and although my French is good, it isn't always easy to speak another language when you are in pain and sedated. I was sharing a room with an elderly local French lady who was deaf, had a heavy local accent, and got up every 1/2 hour in the night to have a wee. A nice lady, but not conducive to either conversation or sleep.

We were also having a fight with our insurance company who were spectacularly failing to communicate with my GP to confirm I wasn't going on a ski holiday against medical advice. So we ended up forking out for everything. I had to go back to the ski resort after discharge from hospital (it isn't easy using crutches on ice), until they could sort it out. The GP apparently didn't give them the exact form of words that they required, so in the end we had to pay out for the flights home (I couldn't go on the original flight as it couldn't take somebody who can't bend their knee). We were finally celebrating the fact that at least we were going to go home, even if it cost us a fortune, when it got worse....much worse.

My brother in law phoned from our house. Our little grey cat Cindy was lying on the floor not moving. Our neighbour took her to the vet. Initially he was hopeful, diagnosing a fractured pelvis, but when he got the x-rays it was clear that the injury was horrendous - her sacrum separated from her pelvis which was split in two, and the base of her tail fractured and dislocated. She had severe nerve damage and was incontinent. So we had to take the very difficult decision over the phone in France to have her put to sleep. Cindy could not have tolerated a disabled life, being one of the liveliest and brightest creatures I've ever had the privilege to know. It was clear she had been hit very hard by a car going much too fast (we live in a 20mph zone but a lot of drivers feel it necessary to floor the throttle as soon as they come over the speed bumps and get up to 50mph at times).

The journey home was a nightmare too - no wheelchair at the airport, wrong seating arrangements on the plane etc etc. But we did get home, and buried little Cindy in her very favourite place by our pond.

Her twin brother Ozzy is rather devastated - he is looking for her everywhere and doing things with us that he would have done with her. The whole house is rather sad.

My GP has not been very helpful, as he thinks nobody should ski, so I've had to go a very roundabout way to get help. I booked the district nurses to change my dressings myself, and they accepted the French Doctor's referral. I got a consultant at the cystic fibrosis clinic that I attend to arrange an orthopaedic appointment for my follow-up. You don't need people to be obstructive when you have had a bad time of things.

I'll be unable to weight-bear for at least 2 months, then it will be a while after that before I can get back to fitness and doing sports although cycling will be a good one to start with.

I have a lot of support from very good ski instructors who want me to carry on teaching skiing just with my Level 1, but the opportunities are very limited, as most Snowdomes insist on Level 2 and I'm not sure that all the support in the World will make them take me on without Level 2. I have mixed feelings about skiing again in the mountains, given that this is my third serious injury. I am very unlikely now to achieve my Level 2 as I won't be able to do much off-piste and powder skiing, bumps, variables etc. We have a lot to think about. I am also under a huge amount of pressure never to ski again from friends and family. Mr Docsquid would be very frightened if I went again although isn't against me skiing at the Snowdome. We have thought about boarding as an alternative, but Mr Docsquid isn't keen on being seen in the company of a boarder, even if that boarder were to be me! Would I be happy with very curtailed skiing limited to blues and easy reds? I don't know.

Anyway, I feel I have had enough bad luck for a lifetime right now.

The stitches are coming out tomorrow, and I hope that will make me feel better - I can have a shower at last! And the good side of it is my French has improved beyond measure - I can now distinguish more than one regional French accent, and even participate in French TV quiz shows and understand their news bulletin.

So, if any Snowheads are in the area and fancy popping in to cheer me up, I'd be very grateful.

Cheers!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That is serious bad luck, especially with your GP.
Quote:

Would I be happy with very curtailed skiing limited to blues and easy reds?
I would, if recovery allows. Hope it goes well.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
i ruptured my ACL about 6 years ago (practising moguls for my BASI 3 (as it was then - 2 in today's money)) and I am skiing better than ever now. actually, i stil suck at moguls, but whatever... getting back to what you were doing before the injury is hard work but getting back to skiing was a great motivation for me. hope the same is true for you!

with the medical stuff, i was lucky enough to get a direct referral from the doctor in France (the English medical centre in Val d'Isere has a relationship with the Hammersmith & Westminster) so I completely avoided my GP. keep pushing because once you get yourself with a decent physio (*really* important IMO) and surgeon, everything flows from there

good luck and keep your chin up snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
docsquid, So sorry to hear of your troubles Sad It does sometimes feel as if everything that can possibly go wrong, does. Hope things turn a corner - as they so often do, just when you think it can't get better - and that you soon feel positive again Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
docsquid, bad luck. not what you needed. Sad
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
docsquid, sorry to hear of your troubles.

I'd change GP in your place, and also let him know why.

I find it somewhat strange that Mr Docsquid is frightened of you skiing but would not want you to board either. I prefer skiing but in your place I would probably consider boarding - if you think that your knees are injury prone even after an ACL repair.

Good luck!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
docsquid, very sorry to hear that. I'd heard you had been injured but didn't know the details. Also very sorry about your cat. Losing a pet is always awful Sad
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If your GP has been as unhelpful, obstructive and unsupportive as you say then I would make a formal complaint to the GP practice about his/her behaviour, and copy the Primary Care Trust and BMA into the complaint. They have a duty of care to do whatever they can to help you and should not allow the fact that they don't agree with skiing to stand in the way.... I suppose he / she is exactly the same with all smokers / drinkers / car drivers etc etc.... makes for a very small patient list and an easy life eh? wink

Sad what happened to your cat... I'd be devastated if my dog had to be put down as a result of an accident...

Carry on with the skiing... the ACL will heal and be just as strong as before as long as you get good physio treatment post op.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thank you everybody!

Just hoping that the fracture heals first, and then to make a decision about the ACL as there is quite a high risk from anaesthetic in my case, so it may be safer not to have it repaired and try and rely on a brace for sports.

We are still very upset about our little cat. Amazing what an impact such a small creature can have but she was full to overflowing with life and energy. The other three are pretty lazy really, so we miss her all the more because the house is so quiet.

Ah well, stitches out tomorrow which will make me feel much better!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Very, very bad luck on all fronts. You've made me feel ashamed of joining the Support Group thread.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi docsquid, sorry to hear about all of this, I was in the chalet with you before Christmas. I thought your injury then was bad enough but you've obviously had a pretty torrid time since. Say hello to Steve for me, I enjoyed skiing with him and found his advice helpful, tell him I've had my boots softened up by CEM and will be testing them in Obergurgl in a couple of weeks. Hope to see you both skiing next season.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
docsquid wrote:
We are still very upset about our little cat. Amazing what an impact such a small creature can have but she was full to overflowing with life and energy. The other three are pretty lazy really, so we miss her all the more because the house is so quiet.

Little critters leave big holes; it's heartbreaking at the best of times but under the circs, and not being there, must hurt like buggery; it almost gives you homicidal thoughts about what you'd do if you ever laid hands on the driver of the car... Sorry to hear about the injuries too, how very frustrating and hope you're on the mend soon; I'd concur about changing or complaining about the GP, last thing you need during recovery is obstructiveness at every turn
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
docsquid, really sorry to hear about your catalogue of catastrophes.
Re: ACL and tibial plateau fracture - I know from your other blog (which I read in the past) how determined you can be and that you have a proven track-record of conquering your adversities. I think Arno's comments are helpful, and that you should listen to what your brain is telling you, not your (unhelpful) GP or your family.
I sympathise with Mr Docsquid as I have now had to watch twice while my wife has been stretchered off the slopes with a dislocated shoulder, and is also, as a result currently in no position to ski. My view is that I want her to have the opportunity to ski again (as that is what she wants) and so I will push for her to have whatever treatment this necessitates. We have a local shoulder surgeon who, despite being a skier himself and not much younger than us, seems to be being a bit ageist.

I'm also really sorry to hear about the loss of Cindy. Other pet owners will all understand how you feel.

I guess my message is:
Do what you have shown yourself very capable of doing in the past, and set your own goals and targets and not be forced by others to drop a great source of personal enjoyment.

All the best.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
{{{{{{{BIG HUGS}}}}}}}
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Is it me or is there a strange optical illusion with the above Puzzled Do the outer brackets look bigger than the inner ones?
snow conditions
Megamum, yes they do look bigger.

So, very big hugs for me then Smile
ski holidays
docsquid, really sorry to read this and not at all surprised you're fed up (understatement I know).......((((((hugs)))))) from me too.
I can totally relate to the pressure not to ski from friends and family as I've had it myself. In the last 4 years I've had a back injury (wiped out by a boarder) resulting in severe femoral nerve damage (which even now is not completely resolved). Breast cancer for which I had loads of treatment that has resulted in various ongoing problems and was advised that skiing was not a good idea....... BUT after spending one holiday at our chalet and not skiing I decided **** it, I love skiing and I'm going to do it. So I got really fit and now 15 months on I'm skiing better than ever. The initial idea was to just cruise the blues and maybe the odd easier red but no, I can't believe how well I'm skiing, one of the most surprising things is my mental approach, far braver than I ever used to be!!
Obviously we're all different and only you can decide but give yourself time, get back to fitness and who knows.....best of luck with your recovery.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 12-03-09 18:52; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
docsquid,

Whether you need to have the ACL fixed depends on how stable the knee is without one. Something I guess you won't know until after the fracture has healed and you're weight bearing again. You'll find opinion quite divided on whether a reconstruction is a must, some people won't countenance life without the op. others won't countenance the op. Personally I went without and now can't tell any difference between my ACL deficient knee and the other one (in-fact often the other one is more troublesome) but everything depends on the individual. I now ski and sail with a brace and it gives me enough of a psychological support that I can just get on with it (although I have to say as a skier I am no-where in your league - using a motorbikling comparison you'd be whizzing along on your GTSX1300 and I'd be putting along on my 50cc). If you haven't found it yet go look at www.kneeguru.co.uk great support forum for all types of knee injuries/ailments.

I almost wept whilst reading your post, sometime life plain sucks. But, you sound like the sort of person to tackle things head on and get what you want, (i looked at your blog - wow) and I'm sure you won't let this be an exception.

Poor Cindy - how awful for you and her, cats can become real family members and it hurts when they've gone.

regards

Sharon
ski holidays
docsquid, sorry to hear yet more bad news from you on top of the last set of problems you posted about previously, originating from your week in Tignes, including the journey back home to the UK if I remember correctly. Hope you are fully recovered soon.

If you are keen to carry on teaching skiing within a Snowdome (I think I remember you saying once that teaching in the mountains wouldn't necessarily be ideal anyway due to altitude problems etc) then I can't see why the UKSI wouldn't be acceptable (when it is relaunched by BASI) as an alternative teaching qualification to L2 within domes, after all, that is it's sole purpose to provide "Senior Instructors" at a level higher than the minimum BASI L1. That way you could still teach within a Snowdome at a higher level than you do now without the requirement to train for, and pass the strands that could present you with difficulties such as bumps and off piste.

Quote:

I sympathise with Mr Docsquid

Yes so do I!
Can't be easy for him seeing you getting injured time and time again.

Not sure boarding would really be a viable alternative to skiing either, as far as I can see it's just as risky injury wise as skiing is, if not more so in some respects, particularly during the learning to board process. Maybe ACL's aren't common boarding injuries but certainly broken wrists, collar bones and shoulders are. Both are risky sports.
snow conditions
docsquid, my deepest sympathies. You have inspired me with your achievements in the past. Please do so again.
ski holidays
docsquid, rough time - my heart goes out to you. I would however, think very carefully complaining against your doctor. Many many years ago, I complained about mine, having taken CAB advice about how to do so. She responded that she was not obliged to reply, nor was she obliged to have me and my family on her list, from which she removed me. I found it impossible to get a placing with any other GP in the town. It was very difficult with a young family, and I was lucky that eventually a doctor in a nearby village agreed to have me. I learned that doctors are not answerable to their patients, have draconian powers, and a formidable local network.

[edit. My experience was in the 70s. In view of the PMd assurance I have had from a SH doc whom I trust, I now believe that things have changed - thank goodness.]

The answer is to find a doctor who is a skier him/herself. As observed in this forum earlier in the season, judging by their attendance of conferences in the Alps, there are a lot. I have just such a doctor - and incidentally, am delighted with him as a hard-working GP.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 12-03-09 21:46; edited 1 time in total
latest report
docsquid, Jeez, you haven't had a fair run lately..... somehow, although you must be pretty down just now, I just think you have the strenght to put this behind you....and find a way to get back on snow.

I wish you all the best with your efforts...
latest report
Quote:

My GP has not been very helpful, as he thinks nobody should ski,

Further to achilles's post above about being pleased with his doctor, I find it absolutely remarkable that any doctor would suggest, say or imply that "nobody should ski" because that just isn't the case that "nobody should ski" and just not something I'd expect a doctor to come out with since it is so generic.

If he had said instead that, in his opinion, he recommends that his patient docsquid doesn't ski anymore considering the history of injuries that have been occurring in the last few months (and prior to that?) from said pastime, then would that be a reasonable thing for him to say/recommend or not?

I just wondered as I'm not really up to speed with such matters, I've never had to get involved (fortunately) with my doctor having to liase with my travel insurance company.

docsquid, had he said to you previously when you had your last accident that he thought you ought to pack in skiing? If so, then that might be why he didn't provide the wording the insurance company needed when they wanted to know if you were on a ski holiday against his recommendations/medical advice?

If you definitely wanted to change your doctor then I don't suppose you need to give a reason, you could just move surgeries and then you wouldn't get the problem that achilles had. Very Happy
snow report
docsquid, what a horrible season you've had - I'm so sorry. Sad I know from the past you're a fighter - keep fighting and very best wishes for a good recovery, and keep dreaming of next season on the snow. Very Happy
snow conditions
VolklAttivaS5, I have been assured by a sH doc who PMd me that thinks have changed a lot since my experience in the 70s. I trust him, and accept his assurance.
latest report
achilles, oh it was that long ago was it? Ah! Ok that's good then.
ski holidays
Terrible news on all fronts, I sincerely hope you are able to ski again and find a more supportive GP. I take my GP with me when I go skiing so hopefully he will be more supportive should anything go wrong.
latest report
I sympathise with Mr Docsquid being worried about your health and injuries, but not about being unwilling to be seen with a boarder! That's just pathetic; are you serious? Very sorry to read your tale of woe; you've really been dealt a rough hand there and hope you soon feel more positive. Sad Your poor little cat; it must have hurt to know that you weren't there when she had been so badly hurt.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
Quote:

My GP has not been very helpful, as he thinks nobody should ski,

Further to achilles's post above about being pleased with his doctor, I find it absolutely remarkable that any doctor would suggest, say or imply that "nobody should ski" because that just isn't the case that "nobody should ski" and just not something I'd expect a doctor to come out with since it is so generic.

I read that not as being based on medical grounds, but rather on either jealousy or on believing that skiing is inherently "wrong" in some way (probably a "green" issue).
ski holidays
I once had to consult an orthopaedic surgeon about a non-skiing related condition but, when it emerged that I skied, he said much the same thing. I recognized the stupid prat as a rugby player from his tie. rolling eyes
latest report
Sorry to hear this docsquid, . Crying or Very sad

How is your wood coming along? It must be a very relaxing place to spend some time.
snow conditions
really sorry to hear your bad news hope you make a full recovery and are feeling better soon!
snow conditions
docsquid, sorry to hear you've had such a hard time and I hope it all gets better for you soon.
snow report
docsquid, here's to a speedy recovery, time to say 'things can only get better' and I'm sure they will.
snow conditions
docsquid, What a horrible time you've had. I had a not too succesful holiday the same week and you've just made me thank my lucky stars. Hope your recovery is as speedy as it can be. Very best wishes.
latest report
alex_heney, it wasn't a green issue - he just thinks skiing is a "dangerous" sport, so I've brought it all on myself.

My husband is regsitered with a different doctor in the same practice, so I am hoping to transfer to him, as his GP is very kind and has been very good with both Mr DS and Mr DS's Mum. When I joined the practice his list was full but I hope he might make space for me. That would certainly solve a lot of issues. As it happens, Mr DS is going to have to go and see him soon anyway, so we will ask when we go.

VolklAttivaS5, he didn't say I should quit skiing, just was of the opinion as above - that skiing is too dangerous for anybody to do, really. It wasn't a specific medical opinion. I've never had any advice not to ski on the grounds of any medical conditions or previous injuries I've had. Both the orthopaedic surgeon who treated me for my left knee injury 7 years ago, and the cystic fibrosis specialist I see regularly are skiers and both were supportive of me returning to skiing and doing it to the best of my ability.

The SI route would have been my preferred route, but BASI are not going to be running a course again for the forseeable future (that from the Alpine Director himself). That is why I felt pressured to do Level 2 instead. How long this will take to be resolved I don't know - how long is a piece of string? I don't want to wait years in limbo for the politics to be resolved. Sigh.

Anyway, stitches out today! Can't wait. I can have a shower for the first time in almost 2 weeks, which will be fab.
ski holidays
Quote:

The SI route would have been my preferred route, but BASI are not going to be running a course again for the forseeable future (that from the Alpine Director himself). That is why I felt pressured to do Level 2 instead. How long this will take to be resolved I don't know - how long is a piece of string? I don't want to wait years in limbo for the politics to be resolved. Sigh.

Oh. That's a shame for you, and didn't know that about the update on UKSI. Just last Autumn there was talk that it was to be relaunched in the Spring so perhaps they have changed their plans since then Confused

Quote:

Both the orthopaedic surgeon who treated me for my left knee injury 7 years ago, and the cystic fibrosis specialist I see regularly are skiers and both were supportive of me returning to skiing and doing it to the best of my ability.

That's good then Very Happy
snow report
docsquid, VolklAttivaS5, what is the situation with the UKSI qualification? I take it from what you've written that it's been postponed/scrapped. Is that right?
snow report
Staples are out Smile There were a lot of them and much ouchness while they were removed, but they are now gone.
5 stitches remain in until Monday for extra security as the wound is so long Sad
BUT, I can still have a shower if the dressing is dry tomorrow morning Smile Smile Smile Smile

I might go and make a celebratory cup of tea. Mr DS has found a trolley that I used when I broke my leg badly in a RTA in 1998 - it has been in the loft for years. I can wheel it around which means I can carry stuff, one of the major restrictions with crutches. So I can now do cooking and make cups of tea.

Come to think of it, that probably suits Mr DS down to the ground Wink
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
docsquid, VolklAttivaS5, what is the situation with the UKSI qualification? I take it from what you've written that it's been postponed/scrapped. Is that right?

I don't know anything other than what was mentioned on Snowheads about it a while back now sorry, I haven't made any enquiries myself to BASI about it so couldn't tell you really.

Sounds like docsquid has received some information about it first hand though as she mentions in one of her posts above so hopefully she should be able to answer your question.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy