Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing steeps - confused

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
In a bid to improve my skiing all-round, I bought a Warren Smith Book and DVD. I have also been looking at back copies of the Daily Mail Ski and Snowboard Magazine!!

From the Magazine:

"A common mistake people make when skiing steep terrain is to lean into the hill rather than down it. The result is that the outside or downhill ski loses grip. To avoid this, you must keep your shoulders level and pointing down the fall line.

From the book:

"Good position at the end of turn - Lean into the slope and grip the snow as you finish the turn, keeping your upper body at a 90 degree angle to the slope. This gives a firm platform from which to project into the next turn".

Maybe I am missing something but it seems contradictory. Magazine says don't lean into the hill/slope but book says lean into the hill/slope. Can anyone advise and maybe explain things to me a bit more clearly? Do you only lean into the hill/slope when you finish a turn but don't lean into the hill/slope when you are actually skiing - help!

Thanks.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jb1970 wrote:
Do you only lean into the hill/slope when you finish a turn but don't lean into the hill/slope when you are actually skiing - help!

Well noticed. You are on your way to sorting out the apparent contradiction.

The word 'lean' in the two quotes actually refers to two different things.

In the Magazine, the word 'lean' refers to 'banking' and they intend to say that the entire body including the shoulders is tilted away from the mean scary downhill direction.

In the book, the word 'lean' refers to 'angulation' where the lower body and hips might be tilted uphill or into the old turn away but 'keeping your upper body at a 90 degree angle to the slope' shows that -only- the lower body is supposed to do that. This is angulation. Your observation above can then be changed to read

imaginaryjb1970 wrote:
Do you only lean into the hill/slope when you finish a turn but then lean away from the hill/slope as you start the next turn*

There is more on both of the terms I've introduced in the glossary thread.

Confusion such as this is why 'simple english terms for skiing' threads never amount to much.

*ever wonder why easiski has 'Dare to dive' in her sig line?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
comprex, Thanks for that.

Where is it in the glossary thread. Actually, where is the glossary thread? rolling eyes

Thanks
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
jb1970, very top of the page in BzK.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=31885
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jb1970, also, the magazine is a little dated. If you aren't short turns down the fall line, you don't need to keep your shoulders pointing straight down the slope. Check out some modern big mountain vids, the skiers aren't skiing "Egyptian".
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
jb1970, I think you're illustrating the problems you can get in to with trying to teach yourself via instructional DVDs or publications. They have a role in helping people improve (I have a small collection of DVDs and books), but it's easy to misunderstand what is trying to be conveyed, and it's easy to misdiagnose your problem. No substitute for having someone with a good eye for these things look at your skiing and give you tailored advice.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
i read hill to mean uphill and slope to mean downhill
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy