Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best of the Grand Massif - Thoughts?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone,

Just off to Grand Massif tomorrow afternoon for a whistle stop 3 days of skiing. My wife and I are staying in Les Carroz, and I was hoping to get some advice to make sure we get the best of the area ski-wise. If anyone has any thoughts on the best runs to do that would be great. (We're pretty-much 'on-piste only' skiers at the moment, comfortable with reds but up until now we've steered clear of blacks). From what I've heard so far, the Cascades blue run is not to be missed, but after that I've pretty much got no idea! Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi shagsa. I'm sure marcellus will be along soon to let you know what's best from Les Carroz as he runs a place there. I enjoyed the Cascades run the two times we did it (in early Feb) but then we were staying near Morillon so used Cascades as a way back home from the Flaine bowl. marcellus is a bit less sure about it I believe. The blues and reds above Flaine are great - try the likes of mephisto superieure, belzebuth and serpentine. Serpentine has a good gulley just off to its right about half-way down which can be a lot of fun. We also had a fantastic day skiing the bottom half of minos onto jade, but then there was 2ft of powder on the piste that day and Tete Des Verds was the only chairlift open because of the wind!

Closer to you the Les Carroz tree-lined runs are good fun in the right snow conditions (not too warm), and if you're after a nice easy cruise the green Marvel run towards Morillon is long and relaxing.

We're coming out again on Saturday - can't wait!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Were out in Morillion on Friday for 4 days - forecast looks half decent too!!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
shagsa, right.. from Les Carroz........Friday.......>>> runs off to check weather forecast <<<<<<<<< light cloud and some sun.... so Telecabine up..... turn right and head off toward Molliets...... all blue with a little bit of a tricky bit at the end...... off chair and into Morrillon area.... Arete..... narrow liason but ok at that time of day... onto Marvel.... I know it's a green but it is a lovely and we often do it as a gentle run....at Morrillon take left hand lift and drop back down the red or blue past the Jump park... nice and flowing... repeat several time just for fun....... continuing using left lift take 2nd one up and drop back down....... lunch at L'Igloo (top of 2nd lift)

After lunch you've got a choice, drag up to top of Morrillon or go further across and take 4 man chair.......... I woudl avoid going all the way to bottom after lunch as it tends to get busy............... also suggest you find Lanche chair to get to top of Tait...... rickety 2 man but views are nice....... you can see over to Samoens................. to get home use Boillaires all the way and depending which side of Les Carroz you're staying either hop on Gron to get to the Timalets side on wave on your way past and continue down Combe.....

Saturday, still no snow forecasted so could be quiet busy... avoid Molliets between 11 and 12 and after 15:00......... head for Samoens... lots of nice stuff over there..Dahu is in good condition and you can drop off at loads of places to have a minor off piste excusion.......

Sunday........... OK I'll succumb........ if you've got a Grand Massif Pass do Cascades... It's a nice day out.... if Gers is open run down Gers to get to Gers lake and then join Cascades for the final way..

HTH......... normally I charge but what the hell............ on line guiding FOC........................................ just don't forget me in a hurry!!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
marcellus, I concur on most of that. Morillon is great for top to bottom, fast easy skiing and Marvel is the best green you will ever ski (i stand to be corrected). Samoens has some challenging (in part) blues and reds, plus some moguls if you like that kind of thing. The Flaine bowl is great for fast reds and blues too, personally I stick to the new 8 man chair rather than having to take my skies off for the gondola, but the smaller gondola is usually less busy and IMHO takes you to the nicer side of the bowl for lond red/blue runs. Les Carroz you will do during the day by viture of the fact that you are staying there. If you want to save pennies, just get the "Massif" pass and ignore Flaine - plenty to do without it for 3-4 days.

If you decide to do Cascades, do it first thing and check out the quietest ski resort in the world for an hour or two... Sixt has only a few lifts, but in good conditions the runs are great. Not sure when it closes though... usually mid March, not sure if the great conditions will mean later this year? Marcellus may know. Make sure you leave time to get the bus to Samoens or Morillon with time to ski back over to Les Carrots (as my kids call it).
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
stevo_the_saddler wrote:
... with time to ski back over to Les Carrots (as my kids call it).

I call it that too - is that wrong? Confused
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
at the moment all of our rooms are named after runs but we're thinking of renaming them all in Franglais for the runs;
> Billionaires
> Timotei
> Toromolinos
> cor blamanche
> percy and Nige
> Marvellous
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I concur - Marvel is the best Green run you will ever ski.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
marcellus, we hit a 45+ minute queue at the Lanches chair and once you are there you have no choice but to tough it out. Were we just unlucky? After that experience we dare not go near it again
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
nessy, Very unlucky - I have never waited more than 3 minutes there. Mind you, would never go there after 3:45pm
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
marcellus wrote:

> cor blamanche

Or Cor Blimey. And then you have Sauron (Sairon), Dark Lord of the ski runs!

nessy, you were very unlucky. I've hardly ever queued at Lanche.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
miss the cascades! it might be long but most of it is either flat or uphill! then you have to get a bus back when you reach the bottom!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cascades is a case of you're happy when you get to the end IMO. Agreed flat in places and if you dont know where they are then you can't carry any speed into them.
One comedy moment on that run was a massive patch of ice (just before the sequence of hairpin bends) the group I was in (low intermediates) headed off after the instructor, but just as they started off an advanced group followed them down. Almost everyone hit the deck! Really narrow, big drop to one side, nowhere to go the other plus ice equals take things slow for me.
Agreed with the runs down from the 4 man gondola in Flaine. One of the pisteurs said that that run was the best especially after lunch.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy