Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria recommendations for April 2009

Poster: A snowHead
I wanted to pick peoples' brains regarding somewhere good to ski in Austria next month

I've just returned from Obertauern where I had a great time, masses of snow, and the odd blue bird day. Itching to take another ski hol before the end of the winter

Thankfully work is such that I may be able to fix something up in April. Obertauern was pretty pricey, so to give my credit card a chance to cool down, I'm looking for something a little cheaper, with good skiing - not too worried about apres ski and the like. In terms of accommodation/grub, I'm pretty flexible as it's only me

I wonder what resorts you good people can recommend at this time of the year. Given the amount of snow in Obertauern (have never seen so much in my life - 3m+) I'm guessing that winter is still going to be about in Austria for a good few weeks. This said, I saw that when you get lower, Spring is trying it's hardest to poke through

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sleipnir, Just back from Stuben and has tonnes of snow and is a much cheaper base than St Anton or Lech/Zurs www.stuben.com Open till May whereas other resorts in same pass close earlier
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sleipnir, Depending on just when you are going, the Zillertal might be a good idea. But the lift ticket price page suggests they will close on 20th April, so if you want to go leter, there is no guarantee they will be open (even if there is snow).

Stay in Zell am Ziller or Fugen for cheaper accommodation than Mayrhofen. Almost all the skiing is above 1500m, so is likley to still be OK then.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I go to Obergurgl late March / early April every year and there's always been good snow. Can sometimes get a good deal with a tour operator but I've been DIYing it the past couple of years, staying in a small pension to keep the costs down. Will be there from 22 March - 05 April this year, the countdown has started...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ive just come back from mayrhofen and skied up and down the ziller valley its awsome , something for everyone, but if you want a cheap holiday you cant beat the last minute deals from the likes of crystal etc .
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks to everyone for their thoughts - some great ideas and recommendations that match other advice I've received from friends and ski buddies. I think in previous years, skiing high (above 1500m) was a must at this time of the year, but given the massive dumps of snow the Austrians have had, I'm assuming that it is not so important this season

docs_mum, I have been looking at the likes of Crystal. A friend recommended Instant holidays (www.instantholidays.co.uk) who are apparently part of the Co-op. I'm probably a little bit too early for last minute April deals, but give it another week, I'm expecting a few bargains - fingers crossed! Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

so to give my credit card a chance to cool down, I'm looking for something a little cheaper, with good skiing - not too worried about apres ski and the like.

Generally speaking the higher you go in Austria the pricier it gets.... Kaprun is probably an excpetion to this rule.

Ignoring the cost element by virtue of accepting the fact that skiing is an expensive pastime and doubly so when the £ is on its ar5e, I'd recommend the following Austrian resorts for a late season trip:

Lech, St Anton, Obergurgl, Obertauern, Ischgl, Zurs, Zug, St Christoph, Stuben, Solden, Galtur, Kaprun
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SnowGod wrote:

Ignoring the cost element by virtue of accepting the fact that skiing is an expensive pastime and doubly so when the £ is on its ar5e, I'd recommend the following Austrian resorts for a late season trip:

Lech, St Anton, Obergurgl, Obertauern, Ischgl, Zurs, Zug, St Christoph, Stuben, Solden, Galtur, Kaprun

Add Serfaus-Fiss to that list - open to end of Apriul and a bucket of snow here right now. And sure cheaper than Lech ...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SnowGod,

Quote:

Generally speaking the higher you go in Austria the pricier it gets.... Kaprun is probably an exception to this rule.

Where and how did you work this out? All the resorts you have listed are very expensive ones and they are not that high. Zillertal is about as high as you can get (Hintertux at the end of the valley with a huge summer skiing area). They are certainly at the top end of the British TO market prices.

Personally I would go it alone and use Pension or Gasthof accommodation booked direct from the Tourist Office. All the tourist offices have web sites and are able to communicate in English. They often have direct booking systems as well where you can set your criteria in terms of cost and type. With cheapo airlines and cheap car hire you can actually do quite a good number. The British TOs are making a packet on their accommodation charges at Easter, as in most resorts it is only the Brits who are still packing in.

I always go to St Johann im Pongau/Alpendorf at Easter and will pay this year 714 Euros Half Board including ski pass at a 5 Star hotel opposite the main cable car into the system - there are plenty of Pensions and Gasthofs cheaper than that also offering the inclusive lift pass for the week.

A lot of ski resorts will close regardless of snow cover at the end of the week after Easter (18/19 April). That is traditional and gives the Alpine pastures time to recover before the animals are taken up on to them at the beginning of May. The skiing side of things, i.e. the lift companies rent the pastures from the land owners for the winter and they get a percentage of the income based on a per person rate which is why the lifts have counters on them. They agree in advance when the season will close, traditionally the week after Easter and that is it. Even if it dumps 4 metres of champagne powder in the week before closing it makes no difference whatsoever.

Sue wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
One of the options I'm currently looking at is Solden - my Austrian buddy who is into sports science used to coach one of the girls that skied on the Austrian WC team. She now runs her own hotel, so not only I am hoping for a good deal on the room, but may get to ski also with an ex WC racer (she's still only late 20s, so will leave us for dead no doubt). Could be a real result! Very Happy

I see that Solden is high so no probs with lack of snow, I guess. Is Innsbruck the airport of choice to fly into? - have been looking, but it's not one of the popular budget airline destinations, unless you good people know other wise
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sleipnir, Easyjet fly to Innsbruck from a variety of places, but mostly not on a Saturday.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sleipnir, Sleazyjet fly into innsbruck, I'm using them to get to Obergurgl next weekend. Solden is just a bit further down the same valley. I take the public bus from the airport to Innsbruck train station, train to Oeztal station them another public bus up the valley, the bus stops at Solden on the way to Obergurgl. I think there are direct bus transfers available but you would need to book in advance and I'm unsure of their frequency and how well they synchronise with flight arrivals.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sleipnir, I got back from Solden yesterday and the snow was fantastic and loads of it (though the weather was poor (high winds)). 4 day trip with three mates and we stayed in Hochsolden which was great for the slopes though quiet at night. We got a taxi down to Solden a couple of nights (though this costs about 55 euros there and back). Not too expensive out. 4.10 to 4.50 euros a pint, 15 euros for 2 course meal, which is much better than i've heard about France. Its about an hour from Innsbruck airport by car. Would recommend it.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kelskii, I'm going to Obergurgl at easter with the family (2 adults, 2 children). Is there anymore you can tell me about the public bus and train? Car hire is about £300 and I could do with saving a bit of money on that. Can you tell me how long it takes, cost, how often they run and how easy it is please? Thanks.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
David Clough, if I recall correctly it may have cost about 15 euros each way to go up and down the valley, this incldes the cost of the buses and train, I think the journey took about a couple of hours all in, including waiting for trains etc. There is a bus timetable that you can look up using a link from the www.obergurgl.com website, the public buses up the valley are very frequent. Also, you may want to investigate getting a WEDELWEISS-TICKET that includes transport and a lift pass, it's just that the brochure is in German. On the website there's also a timetable for the direct Oeztal Shuttle bus service but I've never used it.

The bus from Innsbruck airport to Innsbruck train station has always been waiting whenever I've exited the airport, it's just a normal 'pay the driver' public bus. At the train station you go downstairs to the ticket counter and get a train ticket to Oetztal, takes about 40 mins and best to buy the return ticket as Oetztal station is unattended, and gettting a ticket out of the machine is a palarver (as I discovered lasy year). Bus up the valley is dead easy, just exit Oeztal station and you'll see the bus stop, the Obergurgl bus was waiting last year, pay the driver and you're off. Where you're staying in Obergurgl will dictate where you're getting off, usually at the Festkogel gondola or in the main station in the village centre.
snow conditions
Quote:

Where and how did you work this out? All the resorts you have listed are very expensive ones and they are not that high. Zillertal is about as high as you can get (Hintertux at the end of the valley with a huge summer skiing area). They are certainly at the top end of the British TO market prices.

Samerberg Sue, I worked it out from the hisotrical April snow records of the resorts I mentioned, and numerous Easter visits over the years! All the resorts I mentioned have good snow records, either by virtue of the altitude of the majority of runs, the direction the runs face, or the fact that they're in a so called "snow pocket". I didn't say the list was exhaustive as I'm not in aa position to recommend resorts I don't know. The resorts I have recommended are pretty high for Austria, although I accept there may well be others, some of which are higher. I also said "generally the higher you get the pricier it gets"... obviously there will always be exceptions to this rule... such as the one you mention.

I to would go indenpendently although not without checking late season TO deals, especially chalets that need filling. I haven't travelled with a TO for a good few years now but we have booked a cracking deal on a catered chalet hotel in Lech for Easter (50% off!!!) that I couldn't have got anywhere near by booking independently, so it's always worth checking iglu or similar to see whats out there.

gortonator, agree Serfaus is a worthy addition.... although not too much English spoken there if my sources are correct... not a problem unless you need / want instruction...

Sleipnir, guaranteed snow on the glacier... and guaranteed to get your ar5e well and truly whoooped if u ski with a WC racer!! Prepare yourself for some pretty crazy apres in Solden....
snow report
Kelskii, Thats fantastic, thanks. Think I might give it a go, it can only go horribly wrong! Smile
snow report
Kelskii,
Which pensions do you recommend in Obergurgl ?? looking to book for April 2010.

thanks,
John
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy