Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is Easter like?

Poster: A snowHead
February has a frightful reputation as half-term week. How does Easter compare. There are clearly two weeks; which is likely to be less crowded (/cheaper!)
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
James the Last, In my experience Easter is usually significantly quieter than Feb and the week after Easter is much quieter than the week before ( In less popular resorts you may feel you have most of the place to yourself) and usually significantly cheaper as well.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
James the Last, I'd agree with T Bar, Easter quieter than Feb half term, second week quieter than 1st. Thankfully the kids are all now of an age when we don't have to conform to school hols, so the question (for us) has become academic snowHead Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have no children, but I have some holiday remaining from last year that I shall have to take at the beginning of April. Easter is likely to suit well, and I am contemplating which of the two weeks would be best. (Now the weather is more spring-like, the joys of skiing are beginning to fade.)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It all depends on the resort... German companies give at least 1 week, if not 2 off so you get a lot of people travelling... I've been stuck in traffic in Stutgart and from Munich to Austria for up to 3 hours because of people going skiing at Easter.... also flights are expensive over Easter due to all the "city-break" travellers

Also parts of Italy see Easter as the best time to go skiing.... Last year I was in St. Anton the week before (accomodation was available at beginning of week, but sold out mid-week due to good snow-fall) and drove to Cervinia to my mates hotel for Easter Weekend and ended up sleeping in the massage room, as they were completely booked out. Again traffic was mad on good-friday.

My advise is to look at accomodation early, and you run the risk of busy pistes if the snow conditions are good. France seems to be the quietest at Easter
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
James the Last, Likely to be quieter the week after easter, but it's not anything like feb as the french don't come in any large numbers! Plenty of snow this year, but high skiing is certainly an advantage at that time of year.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Never been at half term so can't compare with that, but have been skiing for the last 4 Easters and going again this year. Previously always skied off peak in the middle of January and Easter is not much busier than January, certainly hardly any lift queues and the pistes have not been crowded.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The 1st week will be busier, because at that time of year, people think that it is late and that they will get better snow the 1st week rather than the 2nd.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
James the Last, slowjoe, Most of that traffic is going down to the Med - only Brits, Dutch and other Scandinavians ski in Austria at Easter. Actually is is "warm" enough for the Swedes to ski at home, so mostly Danish. St Anton is still full because of the Brits, Aussies etc, true the Italians usually discover their mountains around Easter - mostly to sunbathe, rather than ski though Laughing

There are numerous ways to by-pass the known bottlenecks when driving through Germany to the Alps. Anyone who needs a few alternative roads to by-pass notorious spots just give me a call.

I have had some fabulous powder skiing over the Easter week in what most people might class as relatively low resorts. As the Austrian Alps are generally further east and north than the French ones they are generally colder for longer at lower levels. Just look at the relative heights of the tree line if you don't believe me! It is called "continentality" in meteorological circles wink

Sue Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Going out to Val D'Isere this Easter. i'll tell ya how it is Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Samerberg Sue wrote:
...There are numerous ways to by-pass the known bottlenecks when driving through Germany to the Alps. Anyone who needs a few alternative roads to by-pass notorious spots just give me a call.
I'll be driving (via Eurotunnel) to Ischgl on Sat 4 April & returning Sun 12th. Planning to go A13/A61/A8 via (near) Antwerp, Aachen, Koblenz, Stuttgart, Bregenz. Where should I expect problems and how would you recommend avoiding them?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The period between good friday and easter sunday tends to be manic-but either side the slopes shouldn't be too bad and you have to go anyway because of the amount of snow this year!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
petem77, I'll look out for you at the Eurotunnel then - we'll be the car with skis on - and SH stickers Cool
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Boris wrote:
petem77, I'll look out for you at the Eurotunnel then - we'll be the car with skis on - and SH stickers Cool
We'll be the car on its bump stops, with the huge roofbox, 5 snow-hungry occupants, & in stealth mode (AKA no SH sticker) Smile
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
James the Last, kind of eggy really....

....the French don't get full holidays over Easter in the way that we Brits do, but we found Les Menuires busy last year at peak ski school times at the bottom, but otherwise the 3v was very snowy and pretty quiet. Great time of year to ski provided you can leave the daffodils and greening hills at home. Shouldn't be much of a problem for a London dweller! Morning snow tends to be icy so later start, late lunch to make the most of the softening snow before it gets slushy, easy home is the formula for the ideal day. First lift after snow.
snow report
This will be my 3rd year running in LDA at Easter (last year I had 2 weeks with a week at ADH too) and I've never found Easter too busy.

Boris, petem77, I'm on the tunnel Friday night and staying over in Coquelles to get a bit of a start.
ski holidays
we are doing la ros on the 12th ( with esprit - 4year and 11month old in tow )

its the latest we have EVER been , but i expect there will be snow Very Happy

point of note we have NEVER had a skiing holiday were it has not snowed a fair bit - i think it follows us around Toofy Grin
ski holidays
>>provided you can leave the daffodils and greening hills at home.

Funny, the urge to ski diminishes as spring arrives.
snow report
petem77, OK Pete this is the route I use coming from the channel - I always do it in one hop and alone so it is doable. I don't have a Ferrari by the way - I pootle along in my Toyota Yaris Verso van.

Northern Belgium and the area around Koblenz is a nightmare for roadworks and they are long term ones.

Calais down to Lille - free of charge or very little toll.
Lille to Tournai in Belgium - this section is toll-free

In Belgium Tournai - Mons - Charleroi - Namur. Avoids all the hang ups in and around Brussels.

Namur to Luxembourg - nice straight motorway leading to the cheapest petrol in Western Europe - I always fill up at any garage in or around Luxembourg City

Luxembourg to Metz and on towards Strasbourg - from Metz it is toll road but it is fast cheap and never clogged.

French motorways are free around all the cities by the way so you only pay for sections between cities so to speak. I think I paid about 30 euros in total the last time I used this route

At Strasbourg cross over the Rhine into Germany and continue south towards Basel. If the traffic is flowing join the Swiss motorway system there. The Vignette is not exorbitant and as you are heading east towards Zurich you should not hit big traffic as most of it is going the other way! It is valid for a year as well so you only pay once.

If the traffic is heavy then swing east before Lörrach and cross into Switzerland around to the east at Rheinfelden where you then follow the signs for Zurich, Winterthur, St Gallen and Bregenz. Then you pick up your original route.

Your problems could begin on the A5 as the day you are travelling is the first weekend of the Easter Holiday break for most of the German schools, so traffic in all directions southwards will be horrendous. It is illegal to take a child out of school during term time in all of the German States, hence all families with children of school age are on the move at the same time.

There is an excellent traffic monitoring system for Belgium, the Netherlands and Germany - I use it all the time - http://www.verkehrsinfo.de/ - tonight for example the route you described is a catastrophe with roadworks and jams. Even if you don't understand German you can see where the roadworks are (Baustellen) and where the jams are (Staus). They always give the information with the road number, the town from then to so A8 Stuttgart - Karlsruhe would mean that the problem is in the direction driving towards Karlsruhe

hope this helps - ask away if you need any more info

Sue wink
snow conditions
Colin B, yeah we normally make a head start Friday night, but can't get away this time. Mind you we're making an early start at around 3am Shocked

petem77, I know that feeling - we're attempting to pack a bit lighter this time and avoid the roofbox - can sneak under the 2m CC toll lanes then. The Sharan and roofbox just won't get under the bars otherwise
ski holidays
Sue How long would you expect your route to take you on a holiday Saturday such as 4th April?
How much is the Swiss Vignette & is it possible to buy one on the spur of the moment (for example, when entering Switzerland...?)
snow report
petem77, That's like asking how long is a piece of string to be honest - the only headache I can possibly see is the A5 - it is the toll-free motorway and everyone and their grandfather and caravan tends to use it - particularly the - French. That said they don't have a long Easter holiday (they break up on the Wednesday before Easter and only have a long weekend). In Switzerland you will largely be going against the flow of traffic so all in all it should be OK.

The vignette costs about 23 Euros and you can buy it at the border, just like the Austrian ones. Unlike the Austrians though they only have one year ones and that is from January to January (the Austrian one gives you 13 months with the year one but they also do a 10 day one for 7.50€)

I think that this route will get you there faster as you will not be competing with all the Dutch/German traffic heading for the Adriatic and Italy.

Take a look at the road atlas and see what you think - do you have a Sat-Nav? If you do you can pre-programme it, and then see what it says.

Sue wink
snow report
Samerberg Sue wrote:
Your problems could begin on the A5 as the day you are travelling is the first weekend of the Easter Holiday break for most of the German schools, so traffic in all directions southwards will be horrendous. It is illegal to take a child out of school during term time in all of the German States, hence all families with children of school age are on the move at the same time.
Are the German/Austrian Easter school holidays 2 weeks starting Sat 4th April? And is our Easter Monday 13th April a public holiday in Germany & Austria? If yes to both of these I'd guess that driving back through Germany on Sunday 12th April on my original proposed route (A8/A61/A13 via (near) Bregenz, Stuttgart, Koblenz, Aachen, Antwerp) should be fairly clear?
snow report
petem77, those having 2 weeks match the UK exactly - Saturday 4th to Sunday 18th April. Easter Day should be relatively quiet - Easter Saturday will be a nightmare - sorry for anyone trying to get to or from the Alps through Germany that day! The Monday is a national holiday so you are travelling the right day. There may be some local hotspots but no big migrations north/south or vice versa. Austria has the same holidays unusually all provinces being on holiday from 4th to 14th April but people are mostly moving either to the mountains or points south through Italy or Slovenia and on south eastwards. You may have some trouble getting to Switzerland but after that things should be OK-ish. Hedging my forecasting bets there. A lot always depends on the weather, if it is nice warm and sunny then lots of people will take there cars out for a spring run. Beware of crazy motor cyclists - they get their machines registered and go crazy from 1st April. Usually loads of accidents to support this strange phenomena.

Sue
wink
snow report
Thanks Samerberg Sue, appreciate your help.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy