Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

learn to ski in uk

Poster: A snowHead
we are based in newcastle, so are looking for a good learn to ski package nearest to us. its for my girlfriend to learn this year, in time for next season. any snowdome reccomendations/packages??
thanks in advance
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
graeme, You know about this place right? http://www.sunderland.gov.uk/public/editable/themes/leisure/silksworth.asp
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
II, yeah i know silksworth. done work there years ago. would prefer snowdomes instead of dry though. thanks
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
graeme, Be very careful. I've had a number of students this year who've done the 'learn to ski in a day' things at various snowdomes, and they've all had to go back to square one. they've been rushed through, in one case frightened quite badly, left unbalanced with poor snowploughs and very rotational turns if they've got that far. Also check on the qualifications of the instructor. Next winter we'll be doing weekend learn to ski trips here ... might be an idea although more expensive. I would recommend dry slopes over snowdomes any time on the evidence I've seen.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I know several people who have done the Tamworth Learn to Ski in a Day Course - they have some excellent instructors, it is a good introduction and they do get you competently ploughing and turning by the end of the day - the key then really is to try to get some more hours in and practice before you go away. If anyone is thinking now about learning there for a trip next year one tip is to wait until June/July and then book one of their midweek courses. The prices drop dramatically during the summer (I think from memory down to about £70 for the day rather than £120ish mid Winter) and if you go midweek you'll probably find yourself in a group of 4-6 with an instructor on a quiet slope as opposed to a group of about 18 with 2 instructors on a crowded slope which is what you'll get in December.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
easiski, i'm with you on that one, the learn in a day thing is not a good idea at all and is counter productive... I wont teach em... seen too many stressed out tired first timers struggling through a day.

graeme, try a 4 or 6 session package in 2 hour (or so) blocks, you will get so much more out of that.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dr George, One of my disasters was from Tamworth.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My kids did a 4-day course (3 hrs a day) on a dryslope in Scotland, then did a weeks lessons on snow - they were able to start as intermediates and took to it no bother. The following Xmas they did the 4-day course again (this time as 2nd level intermediates). The dry slope lessons were much cheaper and we got the impression that if you learn on a dry slope you have to have better technique.

Hubby learned at Tamworth and whilst he could ski when he got on his first holiday his technique wasn't as good as the kids. Of course, they might just be naturals.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
what a shame your not near hemel hempstead ,its opening as a snow dome . and will concentrate on being a centre of excellence for teaching,. as to newcastle , i would think if you went for an instructor with experience rather than qualifications, whether its on snow or dry slope , you will do well. good luck , sometimes if you have a good time and laugh a lot youll learn a lot .
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
skimom, That's exactly it. Anyway if you live near a dry slope there's no point in driving miles and paying extra to go to a snowdome! Shocked
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'd defo say go to silksworth. No-where near as expensive as a snow-dome, outdoors so you get used to wind beiing outside etc, nice view from the top. I learnt there about 3 years ago and they had some top instructors. Plus the added bonus that as soon as I hit real snow I found it 10 times easier than dry matting! Whatever you decide don't try and rush it, softly softly catchy monkey.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
easiski, Would you advise the same for an intermediate looking for a bit of progression too?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Schuss in Boots, I would, from personal experience particularly if you can find a club evening to join (not necessarily a race club).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski wrote:
skimom, That's exactly it. Anyway if you live near a dry slope there's no point in driving miles and paying extra to go to a snowdome! Shocked

Its unfortunate for us that we live within 15 minutes of XScape and 6hrs of the dry slope we used LOL! (but it is only 30mins from my mums so we use it when we are visiting her for Xmas and its a kids Xmas course that they run at a special price - I think last year it was only £60 for 4 days!)

The kids haven't been in Xscape yet as when I first looked into taking them after their lessons in Scotland they said that although they could snowplough turn if they fell off the drag lift more than once they would be kicked out with no refund. In Scotland they hadn't used a poma and I couldn't be sure they would be ok on it so I didn't want to risk the money. We phoned Hemel (it was a dry slope at the time) and they said if they couldn't get on with the poma we would get the money back from the session as a credit against a lesson - far more amenable. So we went and son couldn't get to grips with the poma at all, and was starting to freak and refuse to even try. I spoke to the manager and he came out and gave him a 20 minute one-to-one on their beginner tow until he got the hang of it. Fantastic service - I for one am really really sorry that they are turning it into a snowdome.

We won't take the kids to Xscape now because they'd be down the slope in seconds and spend ages queuing for the lift.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skimom wrote:
Fantastic service - I for one am really really sorry that they are turning it into a snowdome.

I think that many of the people who were involved with the running of the dryslope will also be involved with the running of the new snowdome. I wonder if the commitment to customer service will change?
latest report
For me it won't matter - the prices are bound to go through the roof... so we probably won't use it.

It would have to be either a lot bigger, or a lot cheaper than MK Xscape to make it worth driving to Hemel - we only live 2.5miles away from Xscape!
snow conditions
skimom, I'm sure prices will be more expensive. But these things cost a lot to build, so I suppose that's only to be expected. From what I can gather it's about the same length as MK, but is wider (and doesn't have central support columns). Hope to see it for myself soon.
ski holidays
I initially learned the basics at Xscape MK. Following a free (work jolly) 2 hour lesson I had 3 more 1 hour lessons and a couple of sessions. Through an offer at the time I got BOGOF on lessons for my daughter at Tamworth and she did 2 x 2 hour lessons there followed I think by 1 session. We found that this allowed us both to move onto level 2 when we went skiing in Norway that Winter and it also meant we could also ski simple slopes the first couple of days after lessons. It is expensive to learn in Snowdomes though, I'm not sure I'd have paid the full price at the time, but I thought it was worthwhile for the price I paid and the benefits described above. How good was the teaching? Not really sure but it taught us the basics (either rightly or wrongly) OK.
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
skimom, I'm sure prices will be more expensive. But these things cost a lot to build, so I suppose that's only to be expected. From what I can gather it's about the same length as MK, but is wider (and doesn't have central support columns). Hope to see it for myself soon.

Agreed, but from a purely selfish point of view we already have a Snowdome - it was nice to have the option of a dry slope too! Not sure where the nearest dry slope will be now.
latest report
skimom wrote:
Agreed, but from a purely selfish point of view we already have a Snowdome - it was nice to have the option of a dry slope too! Not sure where the nearest dry slope will be now.

Wycombe when it re-opens?

From a purely selfish point of view I'm delighted that Hemel will soon be a snowdome Wink I'm going to be spending a lot of time there.
snow report
Schuss in Boots, Yes
latest report
Schuss in Boots, absolutely yes. Where do you live? One of us may be able to suggest a good place/club to try.
snow conditions
Schuss in Boots wrote:
easiski, Would you advise the same for an intermediate looking for a bit of progression too?

I'd suggest Hemel, as long as you don't wear white ski pants. wink
snow report
skimom, hemel will be run by exactly the same people who ran the dry slope. For the most part the same instructors too. You might even get rob@rar, skimottaret, or me. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
skimom wrote:

Wycombe when it re-opens?

From a purely selfish point of view I'm delighted that Hemel will soon be a snowdome Wink I'm going to be spending a lot of time there.

I thought Wycome was going to be indoor snow as well?
latest report
Spyderman wrote:
skimom, hemel will be run by exactly the same people who ran the dry slope. For the most part the same instructors too. You might even get rob@rar, skimottaret, or me. Toofy Grin

Will there be a Snowheads mates rate?
latest report
Spyderman wrote:

Will there also be some proper instructors? wink
ski holidays
fatbob, classic Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fatbob, good one Laughing Laughing

ps.. you can give some tele lessons NehNeh NehNeh
latest report
fatbob, Excellent Laughing Laughing

GrahamN, Hampshire - I think my choices are Aldershot or Southampton. I'm sort of mid-placed between the two.

Spyderman, Hmmm would they still be white after an hour or two at Hemel? Twisted Evil Any why am I wondering if you'd make me do all sorts of weird exercises just for the hell of it? Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Oh well, easy then - come and join us at Aldershot Wink. If you're a genuine intermediate (i.e. reasonable parallel skier, but not necessarily a good carver yet) come to our adults club. We're a "race club", but while a few of us are fairly keen on the racing, we're not particularly high-powered and the majority of our club members are really just there for a bit of coached skiing with progression. It's completely transformed my skiing over the course of the last 4 years (and is still doing so).

The only downside is that it's at 8am on a Saturday morning Shocked (until 9:30).

They also have open race training sessions at So'ton, IIRC on Tuesday and/or Thursday evenings. I'm not sure how much coaching there is and what the standard is (they were having troubles keeping coaches last autumn, but I think they've got that sorted out now). They also have a race club (adults and kids together), which has some pretty good kids.
ski holidays
graeme, I'd've no hesitation in recommending the fast track type sessions in a snowdome. They do what they say on the tin - get an averagely fit and averagely coordinated person up and sliding in short order. They don't offer the perfect beginner teaching you might expect from private lessons with a top instructor, but few people learn to ski that way.

skimom, the MK slope is often a very pleasant place to ski but there are obviously times and periods to avoid. It's popularity testifies to this. The Hemel slope should be an excellent facility. It's well conceived and equally importantly run by people who not only know about skiing but care about it. I think it's really going to show the way.
latest report
slikedges, the problem is that the students a) can't seem to do a proper snowplough and b) from my experience are not well balanced on their skis. this is easy to do just by not leaving out the straight running part of the progression .. I don't understand why they leave it out, and just because so many people are badly taught and end up badly balanced and dodgy skiers is no reason to recommend it to others!
ski holidays
easiski, surely the problems that you see depend on the quality of the instruction your clients receive in the UK rather than the type of surface they learn on? Just like ski schools in resort, the quality of the instructor is everything.
snow report
easiski, straight running is taught in snowdomes. The pathway recommended is Central Theme purely and simply. Sure there'll be instructors doing their own thing, but that's no different from dry slope or even snowy mountain. There is certainly no difference in respect of teaching or time constraints between learning in a snowdome and learning on a dry slope. There is obviously a difference in time available between a session on one of these artificial surfaces and a holiday away in the mountains. However my experience (albeit some years ago) and the experience of others I know does not support consistently better teaching in the mountain environment, as opposed to having more practise time. It would be ideal if everyone could be taught to ski by someone of your calibre (I know I'd be a much better skier than I am, with so much less unlearning to do, had I had this opportunity), but I think most people's reality, even if they learn in the mountains, is different. All I really need to do is spend a bit of time watching people ski/snowplough in an average resort - they didn't all learn in a snowdome! wink
ski holidays
I think the problem with 'Learn to Ski in a day' courses, is that the pupils invariably cannot absorb and learn all of the information given within such a short space of time, whether it's through lack of fitness, lack of practice time , or just information overload.
Hemel used to run a 6 hour LTSD, split into 2 x 3 hours, this was cut to 2 x 1.5 hour sessions in a day, because of the reasons given.

I'm really not a big fan at all, for the Instructor, you can get very different rates of progression within the group, which can be exasperated by the fact that most people are there for a quick fix and have the mentality to want to progress as fast as possible. If they're not skiing proficiently by the end of the day, they think that something is wrong.

easiski, I think that as rob@rar, says, it's an irrelevance as to where or on what surface the client has been taught, it's all down to the quality of instruction.
latest report
GrahamN, Yes, I think I fall quite neatly into that definition of intermediate ( wink ), so sounds ideal for me - thanks.

8.30?? Sat am?? Shocked Shocked Good grief... I didn't know such times existed.. Toofy Grin However, I feel an effort should be made, thanks for the reply and the info.
snow conditions
Schuss in Boots wrote:

8.30?? Sat am?? Shocked Shocked Good grief... I didn't know such times existed.. Toofy Grin

It's the time when a good Friday night out should be ending. Laughing
ski holidays
Spyderman, Ahhhhhhh OK, now I recognise it.... its when the lights get bright and its time to go home innit? wink Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
Schuss in Boots, it's 8:00 am (actually nominally 7:45 but we never seem to quite manage that). I'm there this Sat, but then away for the next 2. Drop me a line if you do decide to come. Bring your own boots, but don't bother with skis (for now) - they have skis at the centre (crap - but good enough to get going with), and if your own are any good the surface won't "enhance their life".
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy