Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Anton day trip

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I was wondering if a day trip to Ishgul was possable from St Anton as I wanted to see what Ishgul was like and as I have been to St Anton before a bit of veriety would not go a miss. Are there any other resorts close by worth a visit other than Lech and Zurs?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
St Anton - Ischgl 44km ( 235km piste)
St Anton - Serfaus/Fiss/Ladis 55km ( 185km piste)
St Anton - Malbun 105km (only 23km piste but you ski Liechtenstein!)

Think Landeck has a facility with 21km piste.

The best and nearest should be Ischgl becasue you can ski to Swizerland's Samnaun. In that valley you will hit See (33km piste) and Kappl (40km piste) first and after Ischgl there is Galtur (40km piste) too.

Serfaus/Fiss/Ladis is one valley further down (look for direction to St Moritz)

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 11-03-09 14:00; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
robyouth, should take you 45mins to an hour to get from St Anton to Ischgl - although don't put Ishgul into your satnav. Ischgl is great but part of what makes it great is the nightlife, not sure I would travel for a day skiing without staying over ?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
robyouth, My mate that regularly comes on boys trip to St Anton and family trip to Oberlech (not this year though) went to Ischgl with his Mrs in Jan. He preferred the skiing around Kappl which is nearer the start of the valley, so less of a drive for you. Although he would return to the area he would probably base himself in Kappl as he felt that the skiing in Ischgl was no better than St Anton/Lech
If you've got a car apparently the fuel in Samnuan is much cheaper (25% or so) than the surrounding areas - according to our waiter who went to Samnaun on his day off from Stuben last week
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
robyouth,
I think the St Anton lift pass covers you for the Sonnenkopf area at Klosterle just the other side ofthe Arlberg pass.There are also slopes at Pettneu just down the valley from St Anton. I have not skied either area.

I would have thought Ischgl a bit of a faff to get to from St A by public transport and probably expensive for a day with the extra cost of the lift pass and transport.
Kappl is a pleasant little area with some good skiing but if you are going late season I would advise caution as it mainly faces southand will get soft fairly early, it is only five minutes onto Ischgl anyway and the slopes here are more varied in the direction they face and for most will offer a wider variety of challenges.
Samnaun is a duty free area so you can get cheap booze and fags as well as petrol if you want (Sugar seems popular as well for a reason I do not understand). Quite a bit further to drive to though.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
T Bar wrote:
robyouth,
I think the St Anton lift pass covers you for the Sonnenkopf area at Klosterle just the other side ofthe Arlberg pass.There are also slopes at Pettneu just down the valley from St Anton. I have not skied either area.

Correct. Both are however just "interesting diversions" from the main resorts, ie St Anton, Zurs, and Lech. Have done Sonnenkopf for the heck of it, but would not bother again.

NB: Just back from a month in StA - awesome snow for the first 3 weeks - snowed almost every day, with cold temps. The last week was a little warm, but the snow held up reasonably well.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
boabski wrote:
If you've got a car apparently the fuel in Samnuan is much cheaper (25% or so) than the surrounding areas - according to our waiter who went to Samnaun on his day off from Stuben last week

Presumably because Samnaun is a duty-free enclave
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
boabski: "the skiing in Ischgl was no better than St Anton/Lech"
???????
So only about as good as it gets then?
I admire you boabski - your standards are obviously pretty damn high!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think St Anton is relatively crowded. Lech and Zurs have a lot less accommodations and so the area is well spread with the White Ring" so skiing is at its best when the scenery is outstanding and the snow is guaranteed by its 1450 and 1716m levels. Lech in particular is far away from dense civilisation.

Ischgl is more like an all rounder. Being almost a full valley away from the main access road it occupies a huge area with modern chairlifts with excellent restaurants I find it a really nice place to be. The town is not large and the accommodation capacity limits the number of visitors who are given more choices for 4 and 5 star hotels than elsewhere. Thus overall Ischgl is comparable to Lech/Zurs, once its special feature of linking with Switzerland is considered. It is a kind of places where you don't find piste users are competing for space and facilities with you, everywhere is well kept and clean and a nice meal is to be had whenever you go.

Kappl is very small. If a visitor finds Kappl is more enjoyable then it could be he/she haven't skied the full area of Ischgl and Samnaun as we are comparing a 40km facility with 7 lifts with one with 200km+ piste and 40 lifts. I am not saying Kappl is not enjoyable but I met more crowd there and its terrain is limited because everything is one-side of a sloping valley directly over the access road.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Barry Manilow, This is coming from my mate, who's standards are even higher than mine wink (one of his comments on Ischgl was that the number of chairlifts spoiled the scnery Shocked )
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A lot of what is crowded or non crowded will depend on the time you ski there. Personal experience from six weeks in the Arlberg (Stayed in St Anton, Lech and Oberlech) and five around Paznaun (Stayed in Galtur, Samnaun and Kappl) mainly at reasonably high season Xmas/New Year or Feb holidays is that St Anton is a fair bit more crowded than the others on piste. Lech and Zurs are significantly less crowded . Ischgl is inbetween though the main areas do get busy. Galtur is delightfully quiet but cold. Kappl is fairly quiet but warm.
You can get away from the busier bits anywhere off piste.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
T Bar,

Spot on! I like the Galtur bit.

boabski,

Talking about number of chairlift spoining the scenary it will be hard to find one to beat Les Menuires of 3V.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy