Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First Pair of Ski's!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
This is probably quite a regularly asked question, but I am looking for my first pair of skiis!

I have been around 5 years running, and have always hired and at the prices for hire I am just thinking it will be cheaper to get my own pair,
I would call my self and intermediate skier since I can do the Red slopes comfortably and am realitvely confident on Black slopes, but will still avoid the really challenging ones. I already have my own boots.

Any ideas at what sort of thing I should be looking at? Because I am at the moment REALLY clueless.

Cheers,

Niall
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nordica Enforcer
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
niallg123, welcome to snowHeads. Very Happy I'm no expert, but I expect that others will soon be along with reasoned, multi-syllabic replies. One thing that is often suggested, and I have found it useful, is a look at Fall-Line magazine - they do extensive equipment summaries/reviews.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you can, test some skis. You can often rent from shops a different pair on each of the first two days, and get the two days' rental cost back if you buy the skis.

If you can't test them, look for offers on skis aimed at intermediates. Models from a year or two ago will allow you to make big savings while being practically the same in performance (there ARE significant ski technology innovations in the last couple of years but they mainly relate to offpiste skis). I'm assuming here that you want those savings...there are of course those who want the newest latest model, and well done to them, coz they'll be the ones restarting the economy!

We will all have different likings for different skis, and I'm unaware of any ski from a reputable maker that is universally praised or universally panned, so if you can't test just google ski reviews, read Fall Line etc and see if you like what the reviewers say.

I would not go for a "fat" ski (above 90mm waist), despite liking and using them myself, if you're not yet into offpiste. (But opinions on this vary, and that's an understatement).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
niallg123, make your mind up. Is that ski's or skiis you're looking for?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the really useful replies! Bar one.

Yeah I have not really looked into off piste, and dont indeed to before I feel fully confident with my ability.

As for cost again you are correct I am not looking to restart the economy (I'm a student!), so buying last years models wouldn't bother me.

Ideally I would like to get the skiis/ski's/other NehNeh before I go due to financing them. So if there are any more models people know of specifically or places where I might be able to get last seasons products that would be ideal.

P.s I looked into the Nordica Enforcers and while they are pretty much the ideal type of thing I am looking for seems they are hard to track down in the UK! Thanks though!

Thanks again,

Niall
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lizzard, that is SO unpleasant, to a new poster.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
niallg123, If you go for skis like the Enforcers you will be heading off piste sooner than you think snowHead Demo a widish ski or six and get an 'introduction to off piste' lesson (joining a group it can be under £50 for half a day). Shops often let you demo and change skis with no charge if you end up buying at the end of the week.

You won't regret it.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hurtle, gets him inoculated early, eh.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hurtle, seconded.

niallg123, I've bought skis from sportconrad in Germany (albeit when the Euro/£ ratio was a bit better) and it's worth keeping an eye on their website for some very good deals. For example, this 'all mountain' ski might not tick all the right boxes but it's a right bargain ... http://www.sport-conrad.com/index.asp?disp=artikel&art_nr=70403908 (Salomon Hurricane 156 through 180 cm at 249 Euros including bindings).

sportconrad, like most German web companies (e.g. Thomann musical instruments) are well geared up for export to the UK, have knowledgeable English speaking staff who will happily organise mounting the bindings to match your boots and will get the skis to you within a few days.

Good luck.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy