Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Steep skiing.

Poster: A snowHead
I recently watched the film Steep, which I thought was great BTW, and reading Phil Ingle's report on snowheads of his first decent made me think about the technique for turning on very steep slopes say 45 deg+. Ignoring the considerable mental challenges of the first turn, what techniques do you use?

In the Anselme Baud off pise guide to Chamonix he illustrates his recommended method, which as far as I can make out, hops off the up hill ski while turning the downhill ski into the fall-line before the uphill ski has left the snow, in one of Phils photos on the Midi he seems to be doing the same. Personally I do a sort of modified stem turn hopping off the downhill ski, often using both poles.

Any thoughts?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
i quite like the "modified stem" as a way of starting the turn
pole plant v important but you need to concentrate to make sure you are over your skis and facing down the slope all the time. so you actually need to plant the pole more towards the tails of your skis rather than out in front of you
best thing i learnt recently was "using the suspension" as you go past the fall line to really absorb the downhill forces and help controlling your edges

of course, it's all a lot easier if you have boot deep powder rather than hardpack Cool
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don’t know what you call it but last year with the steep stuff I went for a kind of semi snowplough turn but immediately putting all my weight onto the lower ski whilst swivelling my upper ski round parallel with it. A lot of weight on the centre and towards the heal of my lower foot to really dig the ski in, almost like you would if you were doing a tug of war. Oh, and a stance so wide you could have driven a piste basher between my legs! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
2000overdrive, brilliant Very Happy !
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I often use a sort of modified jump turn where I hardly jump upwards - 1 inch off the snow, or even releasing the pressure while maintaining light contact, is enough room to turn both skis around on a steep slope.

A guide in Cham though told me that I jump too much. He sort of butters his skis around. ("buttering the turn" to shed speed is a term that Eric Deslauriers used once - and then he disappeared down a very steep slope hardly making more than one or two turns).

I have to say I never managed to do that kick turn described by jbob in his first post. I can't even work out the mechanics of it.

Important things to focus on: lean with the upper body downhill not uphill (to help this, do the pole plant quite low down so you reach down). Someone recently said "after the pole plant, collapse the hand in front of your body to make sure that it doesn't pull you in the back seat".

Disclaimer: I ski reasonably well but I'm not an instructor. One may be along shortly and tell me I'm speaking dangly bits.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I should add that my micro-jumps are usually off both skis.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I find it easier to keep skis on the snow and just use pivot slips which I guess is horizons buttering. To get round sharper I turn the upper body, plant where I want to end up and let the skis follow as the body kind of unwinds. Body leading in other circumstances is a bit of a no no, not sure if its OK on the steep or not but it works.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Really it's a telemark type technique, without the free heel.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Turns are for fags.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
20 Regal please.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm a big fan of the windscreen wiper & pedal hop turns. The former is easier to learn the hang of but is a more tiring technique & will drop you further down the slope with each turn. It's essentially a modified stem christie/snowplow for steep terrrain. The later is where you tend to lift your outside ski instead of the usual inside ski, then pivot around your inside ski.

Interesting article here: http://straightchuter.com/2009/03/steep-skiing-101/ detailing some basic controlled steep techniques (is several pages long). Also has some great prose in it which makes it a more interesting read than the usual instructional jibberish.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
On a more serious note, pole plant precision is very important while skiing steeps. "Folding" the hand back down across yourself rather than the normal punching it through should clear your hands and poles and stop you from tripping yourself up...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Anything thats really steep you need to be standing up off /launching off (however you want to say it) the uphill ski.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
frank4short, what a great site...I'll definitely be looking at that one again.

Straightchuter wrote:
Ninety-percent of steep skiing is in your head. I’ve witnessed some absolutely crappy skiers make it down steep slopes and conversely, seen experienced skiers (including myself) totally freeze up. It’s one of those things you just have to be psyched for and sometimes you are, and sometimes you aren’t.

I can certainly relate to that - sometimes it works just great and sometimes nothing moves where it should.

2000overdrive, unfortunately I seem to have the same stance width issue - cauight horribly on film in St Anton this January. Unfortunately it's not really a great idea, as that makes the upper ski a lot more prone to getting caught on its inside edge and getting stuck up the hill. You really need to be on both edges by the same amount so they'll both slide or dig in to the same degree.

Straightchuter wrote:
A bitter divorce or break-up seems to help get people in the mood to ski like they just don’t care.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My personnal favorite is

Straightchuter wrote
Quote:
Once you unweight, there is a brief moment when you are suspended above the snow, facing straight down the hill and completely airborne. This is the stuff that causes people to become terminal ski bums.
ski holidays
ok... all aboard for skiing 45 degrees plus... wink

It doesn't really matter what you use... as long as it is bomber..

It needs to work in a variety of conditions and should be your banker turn

I favour a little hop from the pole plant... ...but once you let those tips go, you have to commit and if you pucker up at the wrong end, you probably shouldn't there...
latest report
Valium works for me!
latest report
chris, only for flying
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy