Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kaprun in July?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Anyone been, liked it? What's glacier like mid July? Having had to cancel end March trip due to Mrs GD's shoulder still not sorted started to read the emails from Esprit suggesting we visit their chalets in summer. Anyone want to share their experiences with me, or make a better suggestion (no, I'm not flying to Southern hemisphere!)

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 21-04-09 11:37; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ghost Dog, Went there in the 80's - the snow on the glacier had melted so didn't get skiing. I suspect that the glacier wont be open for skiing in July as it is very small, but there has been a lot of snowfall this winter so I may me wrong. Kaprun is beautiful though, and there is plenty more to do.

snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ghost Dog, generally July is not that great for glacier skiing. Kaprun may not be open at all, and if it is there will only be a couple of drag lifts open. The best of the glaciers for summer skiing is Hintertux, where you can usually ski from the top of Gerfrorene Wand to the middle station. But also don't expect wonders. There are better things to do in the mountains in summer!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ghost Dog, Was there 2 summers ago in July not for skiing though. Went up glacier one day and the skiing did look a little limited and on pretty slushy snow. Would think that Saas Fee or Hintertux would be better options, but only from what I've read. My neighbour has a flat in Saas Fee and says skiing is decent enough in July
The hotel we stayed at had a group of Viennese kids on ski training and skied every day for the 2 weeks we were there - even had some fresh snow falling but the area is limited and took a gondola, cable car and finicular to get there - 2 hours in total each way but think that was due to the fact it was a special glacier family day.
Kaprun is a nice enough village but personally I thought it needed more pubs/cafes/restaurants. Golf course was great though as was the cycle paths etc
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ghost Dog, I went years ago in August and there was loads of things to do apart from skiing, championship golf courses, white water rafting loads of different sports, and the lake is great nice and warm and clean. The glacier has retreated quite a bit since then, because I am sad I check snow reports over the summer, Kaprun did have a spell last summer when it closed around August due to lack of snow, you are talking a couple of t bars and limited vertical. I went to Saas Fee in August two years ago and we lost 3/6 days due to snow!. Again a great town with loads to do, two t bars operate on the glacier area in the summer and they say there is about 20km of piste but it feels smaller. There were also quite a few people touring so still opportunities to get some healthy vertical if you put in some work.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We're going with Esprit to Kaprun in August. Not primarily for skiing but as experiment to escape being boiled to death on a beach in the Med (went to Turkey last yr, it was just too hot). Esprit include one morning on the glacier per week with free lift passes and equipment hire but I expect it will only have novelty value really - if the area is open, I've heard its icy early-on and slushy by late morning so theres only a v. short window of satisfactory snow to be had. I'm imagine a few snowball fights or a bit of sliding around on snow bikes or toboggans for the kids and not much more than that. But there looks to be plenty of other things to do in the Zell am Zee/Kaprun/Salzburg area and plan lots of day trips in between Kids Clubs days so thats why we're going to give it a try.

Thought about trying Saas Fee but the village is quite a bit higher and I'm hoping there will be warmer day time/evening temps lower down in Kaprun and theres the Lake there with its associated activities too.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy