Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

help with first trip

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
im looking to book a ski trip to depart around the 21-22nd march for 7 nights preferably from manchester. i have have 2 weeks previous experience about 3 years ago so am still not very experienced. I am looking to travel on my own and would prefer to have my own room without having to share. can anyone please recommend something for me and wo to book through.
Thanks,
MJ.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mmdpkaaa, I would suggest the hotel I'm going to that week, but I think I had the last single room there Smile (Blattlhof in Ellmau with Neilson)

That week is pretty close now. I would search the websites of the main tour operators - www.thomascook.com for Neilson, Airtours & Panorama (for them the group site is better than the individual ones for searching). Or www.crystalski.co.uk, www.thomsonski.co.uk or www.firstchoice-ski.co.uk for the TUI group companies, or www.ingams.co.uk, or various others.

The "consolidator" sites tend not to be as good at finding holidays for solo travellers as the individual sites, plus they get out of date quickly when you are this close to departure.

having just checked, Thomas Cook have nothing for that week at a rational price. Crystal have some in Austria or in France.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There were some single room available in Catered Chalets with Total ski last weekend. A Chalet is a nice way to meet people if you're travelling solo.... have a look on their website
www.skitotal.com
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi, I've just booked a holiday with Neilson, Hotel Stella Alpina in Sauze D'Oulx, it got good reviews and I think I saw no single person supplements all season. Might have been on a few Neilson properties. Worth a look.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mmdpkaaa, if you decide to book your own trip, rather than using a TO, pensions often offer single rooms for nothing or only a little more than half the price of a double (at least, they do in Austria). This year we booked direct in a fairly up market hotel, half board, and only paid a little extra for single rooms. It may be easier to avoid single supps if you book direct with the hotel. If you don't want to use a TO (why would you?) or can't find what you want without a big single supp., that might be the way to go.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If I were you, I'd wait until 3 days beforehand, and go directly to a tour operator and book into a spare space in a chalet. There are loads of rooms around (unless somebody can convince me that 21 March is a bad week - possible) and they will be delighted to offer you a room without single supplement.

To find the individual tour operators, go onto an agent's site e.g. ifyouski.co.uk , select a chalet that's on offer, then google the chalet name until you find the tour operator.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mmdpkaaa, try Silverski http://www.silverski.co.uk/, the have Manchester from £329 catered and have been known to waive single supplements
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rocket ski are doing risoul for 7 nights on 22nd from manchester for £249 half board, plus BOGOF ski hire. snowHead
i'm doing that trip but from stanstead!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
dlawless, Rocket Ski are a pain for trying to find availability for singles.

Their search seems to return all accommodation that ever has any single rooms, regardless of whether any are actually available for that week, so when you click through on the accommodation you have no rooms available to select.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
call them up and speak to Hannah, she is very helpful and sorted my booking out.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
James the Last wrote:
If I were you, I'd wait until 3 days beforehand, and go directly to a tour operator and book into a spare space in a chalet. There are loads of rooms around (unless somebody can convince me that 21 March is a bad week - possible) and they will be delighted to offer you a room without single supplement.

To find the individual tour operators, go onto an agent's site e.g. ifyouski.co.uk , select a chalet that's on offer, then google the chalet name until you find the tour operator.

Mmmmm, that's a nice way to do business. Rely on the expertise, effort, time, and money spent by one person and then cut them out the loop and go elsewhere thus robbing them of an income. In these economic times of uncertainty if everyone held those principals someone like Ifyouski would not be here next year for you to pimp off their work. rolling eyes
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I entirely take your point, Nickster. But I gave them first chance.

I tried to get them to find me suitable accommodation and they wanted to charge me for two half-price places; told me that it wouldn't be possible to avoid the single supplement, and that prices were going to go up as the week went on, and finally that they wouldn't really want to ring round the tour operators to find what I wanted...

Seasoned pros would always try to find out the TO before booking anyway, and the agents I am told can - not surprisingly - be quite reluctant to tell you, which means it's a bit of a stab in the dark what sort of food you might get etc. etc. etc.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ifyouski is Ski Solutions and the two for one deal would have been set by the TO on that deal - I pretty much know which deal it would have been or at least a selection of operators that it would have been. If they reduced any further they would have been doing than 50% off so I understand the negative response - but that would have come from the TO. If Ski solutions didnt phone round then fair enough for going elsewhere.......but to continue using their service is, you must admit, questionable.

I apologise if my response was a little harsh but since you have qualified you answer I can maybe see your point of view but........your post needs qualification as it blatantly advocates the blanket policy of using an agent's website to obtain information and then cutting them out of the loop. it is not specific to a single incident and I'm sure you wont be looking at Ifyouski again. wink

If a client was honest and explained that they would certainly book with an agent then the agent would tell that client the operator's name - if that agent was worth his salt. Moreover that agent would be able to explain the reason why two identical chalets (eg in the altitudes building in Les Arcs 200) are £50.00 adrift on price - owing to one of those chalets being with a company that offers better cuisine and service. It's a customer confidence thing here with agents, they are so often cut out of the loop even when there is no difference in price. The more that both agents and customers treat each other with respect and fairly the better working relationship they will have.

It amazes me how often I see people complaining about service and ethics and yet many (not having a go at you here James The Last) are the first to do the dirty after an agent has spent several hours working on a group/couple.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thanks for all the advice guys - much appreciated. still not managed to find anything. can anyone give me an idea of how much i should be paying for a week as i have no experience in this. are flights included in these packages? also which resort would suit me. i would prefer somewhere quite busy with activities availbale in the evenings but also good for beginner/intermediate skiing. maybe val d'isere?? i was looking at the leski website and for a week in a chalet in val d'isere inc flights it is coming to about £650 - can i get a more reasonable price than this as there is a 40% charge for single occupancy.
Thanks

PS James I like your idea of finding the chalet and then searching for it on google. once i have searched who do i approach to book the chalet? also how would i go about arranging flights and transfers to the chalet if i decided to take this route?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mmdpkaaa, TO deals almost always include transport, usually flights although self drive, train and accom only deals are often available.

As to price, it's what you can get at this time of year, I'd have thought that you could do better than £650, unless it's a really belter of a chalet, top notch grub and booze and so on. Single supp is obviously a prob, though.

If you want to DIY, you just book the flights with airline (you could use a site like Expedia, but I find direct booking is usually cheapest), book the hotel/pension (I usually find that for the hotels I want, direct booking is cheaper than going through a hotel booking site) and book the transfer (the airport site, the resort tourist office site and the hotel site are all likely to list transfer services). Chalet DIY will not be possible with TO run chalets; for privately run chalets, it's the same as for hotels (chalets sometimes throw in a transfer).

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 11-03-09 22:22; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
ok guys have found a few deals so hoping to get some advice. I have only ski'd for a couple of weeks and that was a few years ago so am still beginner/early intermediate and would like to take lessons while i am out there.
1 - St Anton in a chalet fully catered @ £400. No flights/transfers.
2 - Meribel fully catered chalet £473 - no flights/transfers
3 - Val D'Isere full catered chalet INCLUDING return flights/transfers £680

I am unsure which to go for out of the the three, would like somewhere fairly lively. I am based in Leeds so not sure how easy it will be to make my own travel arrangements to 1 or 2?

Thanks
latest report
mmdpkaaa, I'd say that St Anton is the most pissed of those three, although it's a long while since I've stayed in Meribel and I've never stayed in Vd'I, so those two are more by reputation than experience. St Anton is not a sophisticated resort, even by ski resort standards; the brilliant skiing attracts lots of young persons who are no doubt great skiers, but they're crap drinkers. Meribel, when I was there, was relatively middle aged, compared to St Anton, and Vd'I has something of that reputation. Personally, I find Meribel irredeemably twee, but that's just me. They're all big resorts, the towns as well as the skiing, so there'll be something for everyone. St Anton probably has less skiing for real beginners than the others, but if you've skied a bit and you're up for it, you should enjoy it a lot.

The only way to find out about flights is to look.

Those prices sound fairly high to me, but if that's what's on offer ... . This site is pimped, in a charming way, by a fellow snowHead, and seems cheaper.
snow conditions
mmdpkaaa wrote:
ok guys have found a few deals so hoping to get some advice. I have only ski'd for a couple of weeks and that was a few years ago so am still beginner/early intermediate and would like to take lessons while i am out there.
1 - St Anton in a chalet fully catered @ £400. No flights/transfers.
2 - Meribel fully catered chalet £473 - no flights/transfers
3 - Val D'Isere full catered chalet INCLUDING return flights/transfers £680

I am unsure which to go for out of the the three, would like somewhere fairly lively. I am based in Leeds so not sure how easy it will be to make my own travel arrangements to 1 or 2?

Thanks

Those prices are too high. I'll have a look for you tomorrow as TO's turnover their deals on thursdays. Don't book anything yet but rest assured you'll find a brilliant holiday.
snow report
thanks im going crazy trying to find something!!
latest report
mmdpkaaa wrote:
thanks im going crazy trying to find something!!

you'll probably have to pay a single supplement but...

http://www.miquelhols.co.uk/lateDeals.asp
21 & 28 March from £349. Fly From Gatwick or Manchester
Price includes flight, transfer to resort, half board, free wine and coffee, canapes, cheese, ski guiding

http://www.silverski.co.uk/
22nd March
Chalet Topaz – La Plagne - £299pp
Chalet Romeo - Reberty - £299pp
Chalet Le Biol – Courchevel - £299pp
Chalet Himalya – Meribel - £299pp
Plus £30 Manchester or £20 Gatwick flight supplement
The package on offer includes early Sunday flights from either Gatwick or Manchester with a luxury coach transfer into resort in time to ski on Sunday afternoon, a benefit that is rare in Alpine holidays.

The resorts are the largest and most extensive in the World including the famousThree Valleys, Val D'Isere and the new Paradiski massive of La Plagne and Les Arcs. The skiing access is impeccable with the Silver Ski chalets situated in the most enviable positions and for the most part with doorstep skiing. With every chalet having it's own live in ski guide to show you the best slopes, best snow and the best lunch stop mountain restaurants, it will enable you to get the most out of your skiing day

And after skiing it's home for afternoon tea with home made cakes and then, at about7.30 p.m. it's time for dinner,a satisfying 3 courses with unlimited local wine. All this is preceded by breakfast every morning with eggs, porridge, cereals etc. to set you up for the day. The chalet staff ,who live in, always dine with you and are your hosts and hostesses for the week. Enjoy their company and help them to enjoy yours
snow report
i'll call them tomorrow. the single supplement screws everything up!
snow conditions
mmdpkaaa, crystal have a few without single sups - Valle Blanche club hotel and L'Hermitage in Alpe dhuez. Have a look on the crystal website for anything with a SINGLE SVAER discount. Also, check out www.crystalskizone.co.uk for late deals not on the Crystal site - just paid £320 for a week from the 28th, fully catered in ADH.
ski holidays
is that including flights? have looked on both crystal sites and cant find anything with the single saver discount...
ski holidays
mmdpkaaa,

What you need to do is find a resort/room/deal that interests you then you need to speak to them and say you're interested and discuss what deal they will offer on the single supplement... surely they would rather sell half a room than leave it empty... Also as a single traveller you can have your bags packed and be ready to go next week-end with a very last minute super cheap bargain. Sometimes they come up with only one or two days notice...

Have you had a look at www.teletextholidays.co.uk/

Also have a look at Martin Lewis http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-holiday-haggling-guide on how it is possible to negotiate the price of holidays down with a bit more effort... Little Angel
ski holidays
thanks wayne it sounds like a great idea but i dont want to be left stranded by waiting till the last couple of days and nothing being available! i spoke wth crystal ski and they said i should call back next wednesday to see if still available and they may waive th single supplement...
snow conditions
ok guys been ringing around all morning. have managed to get someone to waive the single person supplement and i have a choice between either La Plagne fully catered chalet £399 or La Tania fully catered chalet for £399 - all inc of flights/transfers. Which resort will be better out of the two. I only have 2 weeks experience and would prefer something more lively i guess.
Thanks
ski holidays
mmdpkaaa, For your level of skiing, I'd suggest La Tania. All very convenient, with a pedestrianised village centre and all compact. The skiing is great for beginners and novices and it's easy to ski for a long time, on greens and blues, without needing to get on another lift. You can ski down to the village easily. The 'local' lift pass gives you Courchevel as well. The nightlife is not wild, but if you are catered and on your own, the chalet may give you the evening apres you are looking for - you can ask if it's families or groups already booked in - they may not tell you, but they might! For an apres ski drink in a lively pub, try Le Ski Lodge in the village. Busy at Happy Hour (5-ish) with live music. Enjoy Very Happy

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 12-03-09 15:35; edited 1 time in total
snow report
mmdpkaaa, La Tania is one of the "satellite" villages of the 3V, while La Plagne is a main resort.

I haven't skied either, but from reputation, I would think La Plagne would be a better bet for you.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The chalet in La Plagne is a bus ride away from the main ski area whereas the chalet in La Tania is doorstep ski in/out so im edging towards that. still not sure!!
snow report
mmdpkaaa wrote:
The chalet in La Plagne is a bus ride away from the main ski area whereas the chalet in La Tania is doorstep ski in/out so im edging towards that. still not sure!!

IMO, this factor makes another good reason to go for La Tania. I obviously don't know ALL the factors, but not sure why, when they are the same price and both offering a similar package, you'd want to get on a bus, if you can ski in and out Puzzled
latest report
Thats what im thinking also that La Tania is the way to go. Iv e just been offered a third place in Chalet Hotel Les Melezes Tignes for £389 but no transport included. Still thinking La Tania is the way to go...?
snow report
Just and update on this - i have booked La Tania for a week staying at the Chalet Sapphire through Ski Beat for £339 inc transfers and have arranged my own flights.

Looking at lift passes - is it recommended to ge the pass for just the courchevel area or for the 3 valleys? i am a beginner/early intermediate skier with 2 weeks experience and will be having a blast at the indoor ski slope in the next few days.

Also can anyone recommend which ski school to use and where to get sk hire from in the region?
snow report
mmdpkaaa, Try magic in motion http://www.magic-latania.com/

For at least a 20% discount on ski hire try http://www.snowfinders.com/ski-packs.aspx

For lift pass I would think just buy the area pass when you are there - very little difference in price and saves teh worry of straying into teh Meribel sector by accident.
latest report
mmdpkaaa, Good choice! I agree with Nickster, the local lift pass will give you plenty of skiing. Magic in Motion (Magic Academy) have a vey good reputation and English or English-speaking instructors, and there is a link to Ski Set and Ski Higher (local La Tania ski shop) on my site - 20% discount, and you're welcome to use it, but need to book online via the link to get the discount. Have a fab time Very Happy
snow conditions
mmdpkaaa, agree with Nickster, and Anniepen, good choice. Local lift pass will be plenty for your level, but I think you can stray over the other side, as it depends which way you go from the top of the lift, but it is clearly sign posted...

Have a good time. snowHead
ski holidays
Anniepen, thanks for the info. had a look at the link via your set - not sure which skis to go for - i have a couple of weeks experience should i go for the beginner skis or the next level up? is there much difference between them? i am beginner/early intermediate with 2 weeks experience.
latest report
WayneC, thanks for the heads up re silverski.

Off to Reberty 22/03 £329pp catered chalet. Yabyootay!
latest report
1 guest, Fantasic location, right on the piste and near the ferme, and silver ski are a great company
mmdpkaaa, go for the 3v pass at from LaTania its easy to drop into Meribel, when you go up to the top of the chair after the bubble, you a choice go left to Courchevel and right to Meribel. Both are blues
latest report
mmdpkaaa, Ski Higher are a great shop, you can hire through the Sports 2000 web site
snow report
mmdpkaaa wrote:
Looking at lift passes - is it recommended to ge the pass for just the courchevel area or for the 3 valleys?

Save a bit of money and g for the Courchevel pass rather than 3V. Courchevel is a big resort in itself, with a good range of terrain, and plenty for you to do as a relatively new skier. No point in getting the 3V pass as there is little, if anything, the other two valleys offer which Courchevel won't be able to provide you with.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy