Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Black Crows Navis 186 - What bindings and where to buy in the Alps?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all
I'm relatively new to the forum, have been lurking for a while reading and learning as much I can. I’m currently in the Alps - I came here for 2 weeks in January and still haven’t got around to going back home to England yet Very Happy This week I spent a day off-piste at La Clusaz on some Black Crows Navis 186s and thought they were great fun and have decided I'd quite like to buy a pair. Today I went to Les Gets to try and get some, and found a few shops who can supply the skis, but none stocked bindings that would fit the 103mm waist. I traipsed around a bit and found someone who can supply and fit some Fischer X11s, but then a person at another shop grimaced when I mentioned the Fischers and said I’d be better off with Salomon S810 TIs, which they didn’t have in stock… I don’t have any experience of buying bindings – can anyone help recommend what bindings would be suited to these skis and if there are any pitfalls I should be looking out for when buying and having them fitted? Also any suggestions where to find some in stock here in the north Alps? One other question - one of the shops suggested I should have the option to fit a slider plate so that the front part of the binding can be moved forwards or backwards depending on where I wanted the boot position i.e. forwards for ‘modern’ use, back for more general use, is this an important feature? I’m not going to be doing any stunts or jumps, I’m more into exploring the whole mountain with the odd charge down pistes. Thanks if anyone can offer any advice!
David
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Duke/Baron (marker) Salomon S912. That's about it really, good luck finding any of this kit at this time of year. I have the bindings but no skis, i will have next years in a couple of weeks. Little Angel
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Brakes to fit around a 103mm ski are not exactly like hen's teeth so it sounds like you have some fairly unenterprising shops in Les Gets. In any event, a decent tech can bend brakes to fit if necessary
If they continue to be pathetic about it, suggest you get down to Sallanches and go to Au Vieux Campeur.
As to choice of binding, well, bindings are bindings to a large extent. Some people have preferences (I do) but if you have never noticed differences in your skiing beforehand and you don't require very high or low DIN settings, I'd just get what is cheap
Moving the binding backwards and forwards is something which some people get excited about. If you haven't felt the need to do this so far, I wouldn't worry too much about it
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Basil Short_trousers, What Arno said.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank you both for the super fast replies! You're right in that I'm not going to be pushing any boundaries re DIN settings etc, and it does sound as if the Fischers might be fine for me. Sallanches is feasible for this afternoon so maybe I should head back to Les Gets, get the skis then head south for a reccy, hmmmm decisions decisions... I've heard of Dukes and Barons, the S912s I'm not familiar with, I'll look out for them.

SMALLZOOKEEPER,
Next years? Hmmm sounds interesting (not that I can wait!) Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Basil Short_trousers, No change to the ski, just a new sweet graphic, also look out for the Se7en.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Basil Short_trousers, No change to the ski, just a new sweet graphic, also look out for the Se7en.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dukes & Barons are both for sale in the Blackside in Flaine (decent day trip from Les Gets).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Basil Short_trousers, Freeride in Meribel also sell them, with the Marker Griffon
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've been wondering about Barons (and Dukes) and must say they're tempting, but I have yet to try touring and think maybe I'd be getting ahead of myself by choosing them with the added expense. Also the Navis' are quite heavy and I've been assuming that they're more suited to the type of skiing which involves getting lifts up mountains rather than skinning up, or do people use them for that? The Griffon looks good so I'll look out for that. Thanks for the tips re Flaine and Meribel!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
you wouldn't want to do the Haute Route on that setup, but it would be perfect for an hour or so to get away from the lifts followed by a big descent
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Researching further - I've just seen a review of the Marker Griffon's and they seem quite good because of the wider base for freeride skis, and following Patch's lead (thanks!) have found them at Freeride in Meribel for 170 Euros with the skis at 471 Euros (same price as at Les Gets), but it's quite a trip from where I am. Blackside in Flaine have the bindings only (not the skis) at 190 Euro, so nearer but more expensive grrrrrr. Does anyone know anywhere else I could try? If not then I'm touring grey concrete pistes tomorrow (but I'm sure it will be worth it Very Happy )
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
griffons are a good binding but the effect of its wider base is not a big deal IMO
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arno, Massive difference, more torsion for your knees to deal with. wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SMALLZOOKEEPER, only if you're skiing on hard snow Cool
i'm pretty sure someone measured them and discovered there was very little difference in the spacing of the screws from other bindings Puzzled
latest report
Arno, Read the new BC catalogue when you get it. wink Especially the comments about the SE7EN
snow report
Basil Short_trousers, top choice of ski. Had a go on them last season (somewhat hesitantly) and thought they were an excellent ski and surprisingly versatile. Have you skied on anything of a similar width and how did they compare?
ski holidays
alan empty, I tried some Rossi Scratch BCs (100mm waist?) a couple of weeks ago but the conditions were bad and I could only ski icy pistes with no chance to go off-piste, but they seemed to perform well considering. The Black Crows I thought were great fun off-piste and but haven't properly tried them on piste, so no way to compare (yet). I thought Scarpa's review http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1115221&highlight=black+crow#1115221 was very good and has reaffirmed my decision to buy them (plus I'm infatuated with them etc etc), I'll let you know once I've got them. Right, I'm off to Les Gets! Very Happy
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, tantalising!!
snow report
Basil Short_trousers, I hadn't seen that review by Scarpa - thanks. Re: on piste, I'm sure you'll be fine. I found the first couple of minutes a bit odd but after that they were fine, even for short turns. Have fun in Les Gets!
snow report
Basil Short_trousers, I did love 'em on piste... I'm positive that you won't be disappointed. They are a delight to ski.
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Do you still have the Dukes?
ski holidays
Yes, 1 pair.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy