Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Spring skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I am being a bit pessimistic here looking at the GFS forecast for Les Arcs.

http://91.121.93.17/wz/pics/MS_746_ens.png

Heading out on 4th April and it looks to me like there is going to be some sustained warmer trends between now and then (As far as the GFS forecast goes). I have always been fortunate in getting a good dump before I go, and cold temps while I am out there. Last year we were out for the Easter week, and the skiing was fantastic but I recon that my luck has run out this year!!!

Any tips for skiing spring snow? Is it fun or should I just being the mountain bike with me / or not bother going at all?

Cheer me up! Sad
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ringingmaster,
Predicting temps in April now is a guessing game.

Personally I cannot remember many winters when there has not been a warm or even almost hot spell sometime in Feb/March. I would not stress about Easter conditions yet.
Doubt you will get much mountain biking at Easter unless you go really low with current snow depths and Yes Spring skiing is fun. snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ringingmaster wrote:
Any tips for skiing spring snow? Is it fun or should I just being the mountain bike with me / or not bother going at all?Cheer me up! Sad

It sucks, go at half term with all the other crowds and leave Easter pistes quiet for me Wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you're driving take your mountain bike, it would be a right laugh for an afternoon as its certainly doable in the snow and you could go from the top lift on the glacier down the pistes onto the downhill track that takes you to the bottom of the funiculair which would be a drop of about 2400m I think and would be absolutley amazing. They will probably let you on the cable cars with a bike. Take a look here for some snow inspired riding http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2985183/
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Take your golf clubs and leave your ski gear at home. I promise this will deliver the goods.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ringingmaster wrote:
Hi,

I am being a bit pessimistic here looking at the GFS forecast for Les Arcs.

http://91.121.93.17/wz/pics/MS_746_ens.png

Heading out on 4th April and it looks to me like there is going to be some sustained warmer trends between now and then (As far as the GFS forecast goes).

Huh?

There is so much variation in that diagram once you get beyond 16th March that there is no point in trying to guess what it might actually be even during the 2nd week of that plot, never mind two weeks later.

There is over 20 degrees difference between the top & bottom predictions for most of the 2nd week of the plot.

The middle line of the ensemble (grey) goes high for a couple of days to start with, but then stays below the 30 year average for the rest of the plot, as does the tick green (operational) line. But you really are guessing when the variation is so wide.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've skied in Les Arcs at the end of April for the last few years. Been plenty of snow, including some fresh. Getting pessimistic now is probably a tad premature Wink

It's been snowing here all day Smile
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ringingmaster,

1. Get up early
2. Huge euro-brekky
3. On first lift
4. Ski your socks off until it gets too slushy
5. Mega lunch
6. Nap
7. Nice quite dinner ready for
1. repeat as necessary

snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks everyone - Feeling better already. (And the 12Z lines look better) snowHead too

I know I really should just ignore these lines
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I recon that my luck has run out this year!!!

Puzzled Well if you'd looked at the very poor conditions towards the end of February last year you'd probably have topped yourself. For goodness' sake! Cheer up. We could have loads of grass and slush in early April. Or super conditions. Lap of the Gods. Right now it's looking fantastic, but more snow coming in this afternoon and evening, so I'm off out to get on the first lift and enjoy the large amounts of snow which fell yesterday - far more than anyone was forecasting even 12 hours ahead.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ringingmaster wrote:
Thanks everyone - Feeling better already.

On the other hand it could look like this:

Wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The grass is definitely showing through a bit!!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ringingmaster, just a bit. That was taken in Val Thorens at the end of April a couple of years ago. The snow was pretty good, but some ridges which got the full blast of the midday sun has started to lose their snow cover. That was a short section that we needed to cross to get to another pitch of nice snow, but it just wasn't worth taking skis off. It did present a good photo opportunity.

BTW, it's snowing heavily in Les Arcs at the moment Smile
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, Ironically, the only time I have seen that much grass on a ski run was in the fabulous conditions last Easter in Les Arcs on the blue off the bottom of the Combe chair lift. It is more or less south facing, and was obliterated. Had a nice hike into Plan Piesey!

Have now started watching the web cams, and the vis has looked poor the last couple of days, but snow looks excellent

24 days and counting
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ringingmaster, aspect makes a big difference at that time of year. North facing holds its snow much, much better.
latest report

Spring skiing in Banff National Park - just a little heads up!
ski holidays
FFS

Of course it's warmer now. That's why it's called Spring.

= spring snow, long late lunches, bigger panda eyes, all the things we wait all winter for.
snow conditions
From my experience April can be one of the best months to ski Zermatt - we have done this regularly since 2000 - start a little later to avoid the ice and have a late lunch to enjoy the spring snow at it's best. Get back down to the village around 4 ish to enjoy a couple of beers in the warm spring sunshine -perfect recipe Cool
latest report
I'm out in Serre for five weeks doing a fair bit of stuff - touring conditions are superb............... see daily blog for what spring skiing is really about www.gavinbaylis.com/ski
latest report
Love that spring skiing it's been nothing but fresh snow, today was creamy fresh with sunshine and more snow forecast overnight.

We did have beautiful sunny skies in Jan so we'll take snow now.
ski holidays
With as much snow as we've had everywhere this year, why would anyone assume that a week or two of thaw would get rid of it? Spring snow is great. Learn to ski it.

ps: the pic of Rob & Co on the grass was not actually on a 'ski run' it was off piste IIRC. rolling eyes rolling eyes
ski holidays
i think the phrase is 'hero snow'
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
ringingmaster wrote:
Thanks everyone - Feeling better already.

On the other hand it could look like this:

Wink

Laughing reminds me of a late march break in Alpe d'Huez one year, Auris looked like that, just more mud
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy