Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Long Weekend Skiing, on the cheap...

Poster: A snowHead
The credit crunch has hit our mob trip this year so it's plan B.
Long weekend, departing April 2nd and returning April 6th. That's about as far as we've got as none of us have ever done the long weekend ski thing before Puzzled
There are three of us and we would either fly, drive or get the dreaded coach Shocked
Happy to go anywhere in Europe - only preferences are for 1. easy and quick to get to from London 2. good, snow sure resort. 3. accommodation close to the resort to maximise time on the slopes. 4. don't care if there's not miles and miles of pistes but we would like challenging skiing with some good off piste.
Any recommendations about where to go, how to get there and where to stay?
I feel a bit guilty about posting this as it looks like I'm asking you to plan my holiday Little Angel
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Josef K, long weekends don't generally come cheap. At this point, you're probably best off going for a last minute deal for a full week.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
flowa, wish that were possible but the other two have misused their holiday allowances/run out of good will credits with their other halves rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Josef K, Decent price flights to Grenoble for those date. Les Deux Alpes probably the best bet then, cheap transfers from the airport, should be able to get some accommodation for not too much.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Colin B, Deux Alpes could be an option. I recall they've got a Youth Hostel there - could be a cheap option. Do you have any other recommendations for accommodation for weekend stays there?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Josef K, Define cheap. Generally I budget for £700 for a weekend (3-4 days skiing) minimum
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
halfhand, I wouldn't define £700 as cheap. Went to Chatel in Jan with 7 days skiing for £300 flights, transfers & half board (surprisingly good). Ski pass and beer money on top of that so we probably came under £700 in total. One of our three has recently been made redundant but is keen to get a trip in this year so the answer is to go as cheap as we can.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Josef K, There are some reasonably priced hotels there, Les Lutins for one.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Josef K, There are lots of cheap places to stay, and also you may be able to get an apartment for the long weekend. If Cathy in the Lutins has space you could get all 3 of you into one family room. More expensive but also flexible is the Hotel la Meije - ditto on rooms. If driving then you could stay in Bourg d'Oisans which would be cheaper, but that's 30 mins drive every day. Rent a chalet in Venosc ... lots of possibilities. Very Happy You certainly wouldn't have to spend £700 unless you went mad on booze - but you know what happens to very drunk peeps here late at night! Sad
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Josef K, have a look here http://www.mountainsunltd.com/short_breaks/
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
halfhand wrote:
Josef K, Define cheap. Generally I budget for £700 for a weekend (3-4 days skiing) minimum

Ouch! I'm just back from 3 days in the Arlberg region with 3 mates for sub £400pp, with free flights to Friedrichshafen (but paid for half a ski carriage so two of us could take our own skis and a baggage fee so I could take my own boots), car hire from airport, drove 1hr 15min to spotless 2 bed apartment in Dalaas in Klostertal €70 per night (split 3 ways), ski pass €117, commuted 20-30 mins each day to ski 2 days in Lech and 1 day in St Anton, nice lunches on the mountain.

Prices very reasonable considering the status of these resorts (X5, Porsches, Cayennes, Audis & Mercs everywhere in Lech and Zurs). Spent a total of €320 in Germany/Austria, £98 in UK on flights, car hire, etc.

Very little alcohol though (just the odd Radler or Gluhwein) as I was driving.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Scotland can be done for sub £200 if you can hack roughing it!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cheaper flights can be found with sunday departures or midweek flights in my experience.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ryanair are showing £44 all in return to Friedrichshafen for 2nd April - 6th April. So if you can get your gear in the 10KG carry on then you are OK. Else get one person to check in a case and put your shaving gear, shampoo, etc in there. If four of you then split car hire, vignette and fuel, should be about 45 quid each to Ischgl. We went to Galtur in January and stayed in a B&B for 25 Euros a night and ski bused it to Ischgl each day. Think the 3 day pass was 110 Euros. If you want to really budget bring your own food for the journey as only drinks are not allowed thru security at Stansted. Me and my mates all made sandwiches and took fruit instead of paying Ryanair a fiver for a sandwich. That was out of principle I may add!!Happy Turned out to be a good idea and we ate while driving as well as we were on the late flight. So add in ski/boot hire, flight and car then about 400 quid. But that is without booze or grub in th evening.... We all managed to spend rather a lot on the Apres... Great fun all the same... In my expeicence of weekends, which I do a lot of, they are not that cheap as a package for about 350-400 quid for a week. But me and my mates are all self-employed and taking a week off costs a lot in cash. So long weekends are a better option. All in all what we save on the flight and accomadation we spend on Apres...Happy Razz
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We did Sunday afternoon to Weds night with Mountain Sun in Les coches, La Plagne, two weeks ago. The chalet is ski in ski out and MS were great.

Our total spend was £330 for three days of solid skiing/boarding, including flights, transfers, accommodation, breakfast and evening meals. The cost excluded lunches and evening beers. Taking kit worked out the same price as hiring MS's really good 09 kit at £30 for 3 days and this was in the £330 total cost.

Mountain Sun are thoroughly recommended.
ski holidays
bar shaker, What did you spend on
Quote:

lunches and evening beers
then?

OK maybe £700 was over egging but I prefer to have some contingency.
snow report
About 80 quid in 3 days.
snow conditions
Have you looked at UCPA? They do some weekend breaks and the prices seem good. I was tempted this year but the better half didn't fancy it. Something about it seeming a bit studenty.
snow report
Razz ***BLATANT PIMP ALERT*** NehNeh

I am desperate to fill beds for late March and April...
We are doing rooms for €50 per night... depending what is available you can have a double, triple or quad for this price! (breakfast for 2 is included, extra is €3.50pp)

Evening 2 course meal with wine is €15pp.

Flights to salzburg with Ryanair, BA, Easyjet from gatwick and stansted.
Transfer time 45min from Salzburg.

Still loads of skiing available at this time, Zauchensee, Flachau, Reiteralm, Schladming, Flachau Winkl..... - may be worth hiring a car though as the busw service starts to be limited due to lack of punters.... which is a good thing as you get empty slopes!

You get a chance to explore Ski Amade and ski a different place every day if you fancy it!

Cheap mountain food and drinks (just check out some austria threads) - there are also some good SH reviews of the area too!
snow report
ahh im dying to ski more but:

dont drive

and

budget is tight

*looks at credit card*

latest report
flangesax, what are the resort closing dates this year?
snow conditions
flangesax, It would be really greedy for me to go yet again this year (especially as I am already off to Andorra at end of March) but... do those rates apply to weekend dates?
ski holidays
bar shaker, any days... any days whatsoever!!

Elizabeth B:

Up to 19th April all normal...
20 - 26th Only the main lifts at Zauchensee (still loads of pistes open!)
13th April - closing date for flachau winkl (although this is not set in stone)
29th March - closing for Radstadt
19th April - closing for Schaldming and Hochwurzen and Haus and Reiteralm
13th April - closing for Fageralm
1st May - closing for Obertauern
Flachau ???... probably 19th April
Wagrain ???... last year it shut after Flachau but before Zauchensee

These are all the close ones to us... still worth going up to Zauchensee till the end of season - I was skiing off piste powder well into late april last year!
ski holidays
I have just got back from Chamonix £200. Flights= Jet2.com=£60, Manchester to Geneva.
Accom=5 nights= £100
Transfer=Cham-van=£40

Four day lift pass £135.I think that is a long break on the cheap.
snow report
going on weds to hinterglemm two of us this is what i have paid out already...................
flight £20
Hire £70
Transfer to resort £100
Apartment 3 nights(ski in-out) £165....... we could of got a cheaper place

total= £355 (for me and my wife)

We had eur 650 left over from a previous trip to val thorens.(we took a lot but budgeted whilst out there, like packed lunchess etc) so this will cover lift pass, food and jaegermeister!

cant wait Very Happy snowHead

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 10-03-09 18:29; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
Quote:

Skis transfer £70 (taking two paying for one!)

Careful... if the scan man can be bothered they can be rejected if you are with Ryanair...
ski holidays
Some great info everyone Very Happy . Over a few beers we'd sold ourselves on the road trip idea but I think that was the alcohol talking. Will check out flights and hopefully end up somewhere snowy. Ski Amade, LDA, Ischgl...
snow conditions
daveqpr wrote:
going on weds to hinterglemm two of us this is what i have paid out already...................
flight £20
Hire eur100
Transfer to resort £100
Apartment 3 nights(ski in-out) £165....... we could of got a cheaper place

total= £355 (for me and my wife)

Assuming your flights were £10 each return including taxes etc, I still think you need a new calculator.

daveqpr wrote:

we could of got a cheaper place

Someone else will be along to berate you for this in a minute. wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
luigi wrote:
...drove 1hr 15min to spotless 2 bed apartment in Dalaas in Klostertal €70 per night (split 3 ways)...
How did you find/book the apartment?
ski holidays
Thursday - early morning flight to Salzburg and back on Tuesday night - £55 for 2 people return with 1 checked baggage (26.03-31.03) - bought about 4-5 weeks ago
around £40 per person return transfer
28 Euro per person per night B&B in central Flachau - 5 nights

so above works out around £200 per person

5.5 days of skiing, so full 6 days ski pass will have to be bought

and I will have to book my snowboard which with Ryanair will cost £57!!! but then I will use it as extra bag for clothes as well

we will probably ski around Flachau, Zauchensee, Wagrain or Schladming, but similar cost of transfer and B&B can be easily found around Bad Hofgastein or Zell Am See at this time of year

We just could not take Saturday to Saturday week off work but there were good last minutes offer for this Saturday, for example - £175 self catering to Avoriaz with Crystal Ski, £350 Half Board to Val D'lsere with Val D'lserechalets .co.uk
snow report
Three nights catered accommodation £79 with a supplement of £15 per person per night for Fri & Sat nights INCLUDING Geneva transfers...have a look http://www.mountainsunltd.com/special_offers/view/tignes---spring-short-breaks

Availability is starting to get thin but we've still got some left depending on your requirements.

If you want to go before then we've still got some space in Les Coches before Easter (limited) and after Easter from £99 - £159 with transfers £12.50 each way: http://www.mountainsunltd.com/short_breaks/view/short-break

I just got back - POWDER HEAVEN! AGAIN snowHead
snow conditions
Joanne Mountainsun, I was acutally just on your site looking at the Tignes break. Would you be able to PM me with an idea of what dates are available for 2/3 persons?

I'm not too sure if we'll be able to get away again this year yet, but I'm hoping too!

Thanks
ski holidays
Tom W wrote:,
Quote:

I will have to book my snowboard which with Ryanair will cost £57!!! but then I will use it as extra bag for clothes as well

Once again - careful if you are flying with ryanair - if the scanny man can be arsed non-sport equipment (ie. clothes) can be rejected!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy