Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

So today we took sandwiches

Poster: A snowHead
I really like Chamonix, and I absolutely definitely feel privileged to spend a lot of time here (even if the current viral attack means we did 3 runs today before retiring in exhaustion). The skiing is amazing and most things are excellent.

However, I refuse to countenance €28 for a steak at Plan Joran (Grands Montets). FYI they advertise their specials at €34 for a main and desert.

FFS!! I can eat a Michelin 2* equivalent starter and main at the Bistrot for €35. Accompanied by impeccable courtesy, excellent wine and a generally splendid atmosphere.

In no way shape or form does the Plan Joran restaurant get even close.

What do the SERAC clowns think they're up to??

Today we took sandwiches and a flagon of fine cabernet. And enjoyed them mightily.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hmm, not sure that the logistical problems and the views are quite paralell to make such a comparison, but i get your drift.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Murdoch, good for you snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, what logistical problems? It's only a snow cat ride to get stuff up. The refuge de la Balme can do an excellent menu for €12 and their logistics are, arguably, trickier.

Views, depends what you mean. Julien has a foxy new waitress working for him, I wish she worked for me... Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad (Don't tell Mrs M!)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've suddnely noticed that resorts (3V & Davos recently) provide lovely picnic sites on the mountain - funnilly enough the lazy mountain restauruants seemed very quiet...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Had baguettes every day this half term except one lunch time when it was snowing so resorted to a hut for shelter. With a family of four to consider the costs were just too much for lunch in a restaurant - have to say we found some stunning spots in which to picnic. Have decided to take a foil blanket to sit on the next time as numb bum syndrome can be a bit unpleasant! We did pick up a few tips for novel seating solutions though - dont know how good this is for skis/poles but it does work as quite a good seat in the snow : place your skis in the snow up to the bindings about a bottoms width apart, lay your poles across the top of the bindings so you end up with a shape like a capital H and then sit on your poles! Quite a few people were doing this and it was quite good as a temporary perch! Noticeable how many skiers and families were picnicing this year.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
loatie, I'm going to have to try that makeshift picnic seat thing now although the bit about sinking the skis up to the depth of their bindings can sometimes be a challenge in the Eurozone let alone Scotland. Very Happy

Maybe I'll make up my picnic at the junction of two busy pistes just to annoy some speeders. Toofy Grin
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
At one time you could buy a gadget for slinging between two skis stuck in the snow to make a sort of little hammock for your bum.
We didn't generally bother with lunch over half term, mainly because the food in the hotel was copious, including a snack in the afternoon but also because of the prices.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For our annual ski at christmas for the past 3 years the amount of restaurant lunches has declined.

Christmas 2006 we ate every lunch time for convienance. One reason was our appartments were quite a distant to the slopes to get back to.
Christmas 2007 we went to our on piste appartment for about half of the lunch times, and the rest
Christmas 2008 we only ate out only once, we did go back to our appartment a couple of times and the other few times were paninis. A dissapointing amount of Tartiflette at lunch time, due to the prices.

Although there were some relatively cheap tartiflette's at 12euros for Plat du Jour with a salad. Tartiflette time was in the resort in the evening as it was much cheaper.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 8-03-09 17:11; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
DM, Big fan of the picnic after this season .... choosing your spot with a nice tasty sandwich... and I must say that BC makes a mean one, sandwich, that is....on a nice day is the biz....

For foul days, thats what the restaurants on the mountain are for....

And of course, you save bundles what with the £-eu rate....

Defo a convert as long as you get nice filling bread................ it is the way to go..and I feel the resorts will have to take a big look at themselvs re prices in general...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Picnics are great once the weather is suitable - especially if you can find a nice wooden bench to keep your bum out of the snow - quite a few with lovely views, around here. But lunch today, in the Arly Valley, wasn't a rip-off by any means. 2 delicious omelettes savoyarde with salad, and half a litre of vin plonk. 20 euros for the two of us. Lovely view of the Aravis. snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Christopher, I don't see the lack of tartiflette on Serre Chevaliers and Monetier's slopes to be a disadvantage, more of a plus. Too much of a good thing and all that..........
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Helen Beaumont, I apologise I have mislead you. We didn't have Tartiflette as often, due to our decision making on what to do for lunch rather than the lack of restaurants serving it. The fact that a lunch time meal costs at least £60 for 4 people with the exchange rate was the main reason.

But yes I did notice there was a lot of variety in the mountain restaurants which I have to commend.

I have edited the post above for more understandable reading. Hope the husband is on the mend so you can return to Monetier! snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Christopher, no problem. Hubby is getting better, but although we are going out in April, it isn't likely that we will be skiing.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
JT, today we omitted the mayo. A significant (if surprising) improvement. I feel a sandwich blog coming on...

We also discovered the EXCELLENT picnic room up the Flegere. No queue, beer on tap, magnif.

Sandwich recipes anyone?
ski holidays
our tip for a top sarnie is smoked cheese and pepper salami,never fails to satisfy and on particularly nippy days the pepper really warms you up Very Happy Must be served in a nice crusty bread roll though, tastes wierd with ´square ´bread .
latest report
under a new name, lettuce and rilletes du canard. Survives being squashed.
latest report
Although I haven't been to a huge number of resorts like some on this forum. I can't say I have seen any pic-nic areas on the mountain. I would have thought local restaurants would persaude local authorities not to designate such as areas.
latest report
Christopher, there's one at Serre Ratier (Chantemerle). The Relais du Ratier.
snow report
under a new name, pain de campagne with jambon cru and Reblochon (which, IMHO, is too good a cheese to waste in being melted over potatoes) and maybe the odd frond of rocket. Heaven.
latest report
Helen Beaumont, My ignorance to blame then. Passed Serre Ratier on numerous occassions, I presumed that all the seating areas were restaurant/cafes seating.
snow report
Christopher, the relais is also a restaurant, but there is an area set aside for picnicking.
snow report
under a new name - where's the Flegere sandwich room?

MrsFlyingStantoni and I tried out the Salle Hors Piste at Plaine Dranse last weekend. Damned excellent spot. No beer on tap, but nice an warm, lots of space and even a sink in the corner for filling up the water bottle.
snow report
Christopher wrote:
Although I haven't been to a huge number of resorts like some on this forum. I can't say I have seen any pic-nic areas on the mountain. I would have thought local restaurants would persaude local authorities not to designate such as areas.

Doesn't matter if you are out in the sun....rock up anywhere and dish out the sarnnies... IMV..
snow conditions
under a new name, BC has some nice recipes... don't know what was in them but they were great..and along with just a porridge in the morning and these sarnies at lunchtime...I could last all day...and I am someone who needs a breakfast to start with...

My starter will be a bog standard jambon fromage....just make sure the cheese has a little bit of bite... not hard in the alpes, is it..?? Laughing
ski holidays
We just stayed in Val Claret in Tignes. It was ski in/out so we ate a leisurely lunch in the apartment and then skied hard again in the afternoon. Saved a fortune.
snow conditions
Christopher, I've been to a few resorts that have purpose built indoor picnic areas. One of them even had a hot drinks machine, and was in the same building as a restaurant. it didn't seem to affect their business, as the picnic room was often the only place you could get a seat!
latest report
Elizabeth B, Sweden is like that... they even have microwaves to heat your food.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Anyone any ideas for quick picnic stuff that contains no flour? Used to picnic a lot at Easter but very little nowadays due to one of our party being coeliac. However anything that is easy to buy inthe alps and tasty would be welcome as a suggestion as we prepare for Easter.
latest report
T Bar, the main supermarktes often have gluten free bread. but can only report on what I've seen in Briancon. Neice is coeliac so I do look. . Rice or corn/gluten free pasta salad in a small container. Tesco have some cheap ones that would be worth taking, and have a screw on lid. I'll ask my sis in law as they often go out picnicking.
snow conditions
Helen Beaumont,
Thanks,
Problem with gluten free pasta is that we cook in the evening and often have pasta and I think they might get a bit pasta'd out and want a bit of variety, hence the mountain restaurants.
ski holidays
Why not try a nice taboulleh, cous cous only takes minutes to cook. Or get a saucisson in the bag with a few cornichon. Cold biryani always goes down well too!
latest report
Just realised I'm a fool, cous cous is wheat based Embarassed . Sorry. Nice bit if fried rice is always good cold!
snow report
T Bar, there's a barley couscous which isn't wheat based. Beluga brand .
snow conditions
The most expensive bit of our half term trip was the drinks and diner in the Novotel in Dijon on the way back saturday night.

wait for it 4.20 for a demi....
ski holidays
IIRC, LDA has designated picnic shelters at La Patache and near the Glacier restaurant. Off-piste there are some delightful places.
snow report
theres some nice bits in courchevel

i stumbled across a picnic room in 1650 - tables, chairs, heaters, bathroom and vending machine - came in handly.
latest report
Skola, blimey. Did it have dancing girls as well?
ski holidays
Skola, They also have a big picnic room in 1850 we used it every day when we were there last year.
latest report
kevinrhead, where abouts is that?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy