Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Socks or not

Poster: A snowHead
What's the current thinking on wearing socks with ski boots? I've always worn the wooly sort but I seem to remember a thread that said no socks is now the norm. (I can't find the thread 'cos "search" just did not work for me!) rolling eyes
I've just "acquired" a new pair of Salomons and they fit OK but with socks they may feel a little tight. So is there a definitive "wear these"?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
WHAT?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You are kidding right ? Once upon a time 2 pairs of socks were often worn, then one pair of thick socks, these days people use so called technical socks thin in some places thicker in others to provide padding only where required, not wearing socks will rapidly result in one thing, smelly ski boots Shocked
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Michael B, I fink someone as been pullin your plonka Confused
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ok! so socks are a must. So what type is best? I definitely saw a long thread discussing the merits of one type or another. I may need to get different ones to my current so if someone can find the thread at least I can look it up.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hmm. Rock climbers have climbed with no socks for years. A ski instructor told me he wore thin socks, and my present socks are much tininner than than in the past. Being fuddy, not to mention duddy, I can't imagine skiing without socks, though.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thin!

I use Thorolos.

(sorry,can't remember the spelling, and they are packed for Montana tomorrow)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Crikey there'll be open toe ski boots next for spring skiing.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ian bloomfield, now that would keep your ski boots smelling nice Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm with Wear The Fox Hat in that I use thin Thorlos socks available from Ellis Brigham & they're execellent - not cheap, especially when you buy 6 pairs, but excellent.

They offer 3 different thicknesses, the idea being that the thinnest socks give better 'feel' of boot/ski.

With modern boots you don't need thick socks to keep you're feet warm providing you boots are dry when you put them on.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I too use thin socks - much better "feel" and the so called technical make-up that keeps you warm seems to to work fine for me.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
socks are there, as DG ORf roightly points out, for the smells. Sking without socks would be the best way to do it, since in effect the sock is just another layer which will compress and distort the action of your shin aginst the boot, meaning you don;t get the exact level of control...

yes, precisely. think socks are indeed better personally, I use Thorlos (although one of the guys bought a pair this holiday that he saidwere waaaaay better than his thorlos, I'll post more details when I've asked him). I used to wear thick socks until I realise thatit does make a slight difference - ok not a great deal, but enough...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thin socks are in!!!
The best ones are made of merino wool which will wick sweat away from your feet keeping them nice and dry, and as an added bonus they dont get as stinky as others - something about them being natural fibres or something.

The down side is that you pay more for them.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've never heard of anyone NOT wearing any socks with ski books (how would you get your feet in/out?) How thick the socks are depends on how cold your feet get. I wear regular and quite expensive ski socks in winter - feet still get cold - and thin ones from Quality Seconds in the spring /summer. (£0.99 for 3 pairs) excellent value.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thin socks, got a couple of pairs from M&S (£6.00 View From range), I thought that was good value,easiski, beats me into a long second.
latest report
If I wear anything other than thin, smooth socks, I get patterns embossed in my legs. Must be getting old, lack of collagen or something. It's quite difficult finding thin socks long enough for my boots. Luckily the boots are very comfortable.
snow report
Thanks. That was the info I was looking for. Very Happy
snow report
He's not kidding, there's a growing number of people who don't wear socks with their boots. It's not for me I've got to say Very Happy

Mycurrent fave socks are a pair of X-Sock/Conformables. Mrs Ise is of the Easiski school, three pairs for 5francs Very Happy
ski holidays
despite the insulation in the boot surely your feet would get chilly on a cold day ? Anyone actually experienced no sock skiing ? I prefer thin (Salomon) socks to the thicker ones and was suprised that it made quite a bit of difference to the contact between boot and foot
snow conditions
I think sock choice is vitally significant. Your feet are your steering and having the right socks gets you set up right. My favourites are the merino wool Saloman technical, but I also like the Nordica technicals (Race) and X-socks ski version. Thin technical socks are a big improvement. (on previous socks, not none.)
snow conditions
Chris Bish, with some peoples' feet any socks are an improvement on none! Laughing
ski holidays
I get laughed at for my obsession with ski socks. Can't think why.... Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
COnformaebls, that's the one Mike bought - thanks Ise!
ski holidays
I have the same as ise and also find them very good. I can't imagine skiing without socks. Buying boots for my daughter earlier this month, we were next to a top French racer who had socks with individual toes, like a glove. I'd never seen these before. Are they de rigueur for racers? What advantage do they confer, if any? I'm sure some snowHeads will know!
snow report
dangly bits Ive just bought 3 pairs of Thick thermal socks!!
snow report
glisser, your dangley bits will be fine, don't worry. Merino boxers?
snow report
Is there a competition going on for reviving the oldest post?
snow report
I was thinking of what I was going to say.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
glisser, Laughing
snow report
when i got my current boots fitted at Blues two years ago the fitter told me he skied with no socks which i found totally strange. i am just back from Zell am See and had some dreadfully painful days in my boots and some where my feet felt great. I have always had my doubts about the size of my boots but now know what has caused the issues. the days i got really sore numb feet i was wearing very thick skiing socks. the days i had comfort i was wearing a thin sock which i was given for free when i bought my boots (they were 19.95 per pair and i can't remember what they are called) i will not be wearing thick socks ever again as the pain prior to my feet going numb was not nice at all.
ski holidays
I can only wear thin socks in my boots, but one time when I forgot to take any socks with me, going away for a day to Val Thorens, I skied in bare feet; wasn't a big drama.
snow report
Very impressive thread archaeology! Though for anyone after socks these are great and even with the shipping from Europe still a bit of a bargain! http://shop.freerideworldtour.com/fwt-socks-teko,us,4,A012.cfm
snow report
I have tried all sorts over the years, specially designed, Salomons, M&S special, donkeys years ago, all thick socks. The ones that were best for me was the M&S pair and I still use them today, normally last day of skiing, as the boot has loosened up a wee bit by the end of the week and these do the job fine. All others I have tried including expensive ones I was sold when I got my current set of boots just make my feet sweat, then cold. Sad

I have since discovered some really good socks, merino based wool at Decathlon, these are thinner but my feet seem warmer and do not sweat. I trialled a pair and thought they were just the job so I waited until end of season last year and got a few pairs half price in end of season sale. snowHead
ski holidays
I wear the old Falke jobs...nice and snug, but my son who is a ski instructor just pulls out the first pair of socks that are in the drawer i.e the sort you might wear to the office. He does have custom boots, so that might make a difference. Mind you they are a bit stinky (the boots....)
latest report
I have Falke socks with L on one and R on the other, so that you can remember which boot to put on which foot. The problem is that you still have to remember which sock to put on which foot. I guess nothing is perfect. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
My favourite socks are the ones at the front of my sock drawer. Can't believe that people can worry about the choice of socks. rolling eyes
snow report
I guess it depends on how much ya paid fer ya boots in the first place........
ski holidays
Like Chris Bish, I also wear the nordicas, either that or smartwool. I also used to wear 2 pairs years ago, like everyone else I knew back then, to stop my feet from freezing up. But I reckon as insulation technology in boots has improved the need for extra warmth from socks has, thankfully, gone.
latest report
Swissie, I ended up doing a learn to carve in a day session at Tamworth fridge in regular day to day socks as I forgot to pack my ski sock and EB hadn't got anything in stock that fitted me and wasn't ridiculously overpriced. I think I only got away with it because my boots are custom fitted with custom footbeds and while my toes were a bit colder than when wearing my merino tekos and I need to do the boots a bit tighter it was fine otherwise.
ski holidays
Ive got expensive ski socks and I actually feel more comfortable and no less cold in my little black normal ankle socks - sorry, correction, I feel more comfortable in my little black ankle socks and not cold
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy