Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Been to Champoluc?

Poster: A snowHead
We are going week after next for a cheeky mid-weeker and would like to know more from someone who has been. I have read a lot about it but want a more practical take on it.

Can you help?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Peter Leuzzi, Where are you staying? There can be avoidable queues at the bubble up in the morning by using the lift at the head of the valley, the second stage of which is extraordinarily cold as you go over to Gressoney. Happily lots of mountain huts around the moutain for hot choc or coffee. Take a very wide angle lens for your camera to get all the views in. Its a special place. Enjoy!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Martin Nicholas, Hotel Ayas through Ski2. Do you know it? Apparently its a walk to the lift? Whats the lift at the head of the valley called?

Whats the skiing like? We are intermediate cruisers and loved Cervinia last year.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Peter Leuzzi, what do you want to know? Lift at head of valley bus accessible, col de Frachey. Ayas should be fine, but a bit of a hike to the lifts.

Skiing? - very intermediate cruiser. All of it. You won't find anything you won't like.

Are you catered in the evening? Let me know if you need evening recommendations.

Whatever, no big gourmet lunches, but on mountain food generally good. New restaurant at top of Frachey chair (to the right, not the self service) is very good.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
under a new name, we aren't catered for in the evening as it happens. Your rec's would be appreciated.

Martin Nicholas, under a new name, I am told there are two access points up the mountain. Which is the best, quickest route (Frachey?)? Which is closest to our hotel? Is the second choice so bad? I just hate to faff in the morning and wait for buses, people etc so any tips appreciated.

Is it really as uncrowded mid-week as I have read?

Is there enough skiing to keep us happy for 3 days?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Peter Leuzzi, You can leave your skis at the base station on the village, so walking in in through the trees is a really pleasant hike in outdoor shoes. The bus up the valley to Frachey is a hike and really a ski school queue avoidance route, although good to do once. The place really is empty midweek, with few queues. Skiing - theres enough for 2 weeks!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Martin Nicholas, music to my ears snowHead

Are you saying avoid Frachey? Or avoid the other one?

Do you have any fave restaurants for me to take Mrs L?

Do have any favourite runs that we should check out?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Peter Leuzzi, you should be quiet enough mid week not to worry about queues so no need to bus to Frachey. Your hotel is a good 600m (I'm not exactly sure where it is as it's not on the "main" road) walk to the Crest gondola. As Martin says, it's quite pleasant.

One of my "All time favourite" restaurants anywhere is "Le Sapin" at the bottom of the Crest Gondola. If you like rare beef, the tagliata is not to be missed. The Churen does good pizzas, etc. If you're there on a Tuesday night, Herman at the hotel Castor (near where you're staying) often organises a "music" evening - with various folk jamming. Bars are diminishing (boring) but Golosone beside the Churen is OK. There's also a newish cocktail bar but I haven't been in very often.

You'll have quite enough skiing for 3 days. No particular fave run as such. You could easily ski most of the system in 3 days.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
under a new name, I am aware that apres is down to making your own fun, but where is the most likely place to go and get a deserved beer (aren't they all wink ) when finishing for the day?

Another question, if I may - can you ski back to bottom station? If so, how difficult/easy is that run in?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
yes you can though it does get quite busy at the end of the day.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Peter Leuzzi - the Frachey lift is useful if you're heading over to Gressoney - it cuts out a fair bit of faffing on lifts if you go from the gondola. If you are with Ski2, they'll give you a lift any time to the Frechy lift - just turn up at theur office. They also have their own ski/boot storage at the foot of the gondola, so it really is a pleasnt stroll in the mornings and evenings Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Peter Leuzzi, The run back after a beer at the mid station end of the day is most pleasant, and the run down an easy red but busy at peak times. Just 150m down the road from the Ayas is the Hotel California - a bizarre bar for a good beer. We didn't explore bars in town being there as a group. ajpaul, good comment about Frachey chair, I had forgotton ski-2 do a shuttle service, just let Simon know the previous evening, & put on 1 layer more than you need for the "refrigerator" lift over to Gressoney.
Have fun
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Martin Nicholas, now I'm confused. Where is the Ayas? the description I found put it across the river from the Castor. Which is not 150m from the California. Puzzled

Peter Leuzzi, I completely forgot, there's a bar immediately on the left hand side of the stairs down from the gondola which is quite civilised for post ski beers. Or the Galion (sp?) across the road. Pachamama had great promise but I think I'm now "over-age". You only get in if you were born after 1990. We usually drink in either the bar of the Castor or in the Golosone.

ajpaul, is correct that the Frachey route cuts out some runs, but that's only IMO important if you are slow or it's busy (which it won't be).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name, Martin Nicholas, ajpaul, papasmurf, thanks for your inputs. Its always exciting going somewhere new, but I also like finding out about it a bit prior to cut through the stuff that can be avoided by just asking people like you.

Off in about 10 days time, so lets pray for some more snow, eh?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Peter Leuzzi, any more snow and the roads will be closed! be careful what you wish for.

(Joking, but not by much!)

sis & bro in law skied knee deep pow yesterday. There's more snow than they have seen, ever, (in 28 years). (2 weeks ago it was only more snow than they'd seen since their teens...)
snow report
David Murdoch, yes, i know what you mean. Have had a few days of that myself and it was too hard for a part timer like me!

How has your season been - ski-wise and the business?
snow report
Peter Leuzzi, hmmm. Not ideal. £/€ has interfered with the world domination plans. Broken ribs have reduced ski-wise enthusiasm. still a few weeks to go though!
ski holidays
Hi,
I have just returned from a short break to Gressoney. Snow was amazing !! So much snow that the only road in/out of Gressoney was closed for 2 days due to avalanche hitting the road. We had to stay an extra day - what a bummer !!
ski holidays
David Murdoch, oh dear. At least you know its not just you with bad (financial) luck. Take a big fall to do the ribs did you? Hprrible injury - I did same end of last season when I face planted and landed on my chest and the Nokia in my top pocket!!
ski holidays
Peter Leuzzi, it was a stupid slip down some very steep stairs (they hadn't cleared the snow). It is indeed horrible at least in the pain to severity ratio, the first week was incredibly painful. For a simple injury it's quite tedious!

icicle, lucky you!
snow conditions
So tell me about the runs there? Whats to avoid? Whats unmissable?

We are intermediate and like cruising about reds and blues. Not interested in off-piste; snowparks or black runs
]
ski holidays
I'm not sure there are any blacks in Champoluc itself. The red Del Colle on the Champoluc side of the Colle Bettaforca was my favourite - a little steep, with chopped-up snow, at the top but nothing terribly difficult. Another good one is Vatourna, which is to your left as you get off the Sarezza chair. The first section of this one is challenging (or was from my perspective as a timid fourth-week skier) but it soon opens out, and the rest of it is a fine cruising run.

I didn't get out of the Champoluc valley much, but on the Gressoney side I liked the long, wide Salati red. Gressoney also features Moos, a contender for World's Easiest Black.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy