Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Rucksacks

Poster: A snowHead
take them off on the chairlift or leave them on the back?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
leave em on my back. mine isn't huge though so i don't notice it.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Generally I leave it on but it can get a bit cramped on older smaller chair lifts. Also I get pushed forward so my head regularly gets hit by the bar coming down, a good reason for wearing a helmet.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
PsychoBabble, depends how big it is and whether it's got a bunch of straps trailing off it that might get caught. Mine is expandable and I do get a little rush of vertigo when it's packed out and I'm not back in the seat as far as normal. Shocked
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I keep mine on, but just make sure it dont get caught when the time comes to get off other wise you will be on ya way back down Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I keep it on, but with a slightly guilty conscience.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I leave mine on, but it is only a small (20L) one.

The main reason I continue to wear it is for the Camelbak (which is not integrated, I've had that rucsack since before I started skiing, and only had the camelbak for 3 years).
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Matt_G wrote:
make sure it dont get caught when the time comes to get off other wise you will be on ya way back down Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I've twice ended up like a puppet on a string on lifts but due to my anorak, not the rucksack. First time was in Obertauern, where a cord with a bobble got caught in the chair. I was carried on until the cord snapped and I plunged a metre or two (just before the chair went round the wheel at the top), pulling muscles in my calf. I can't remember exactly what caused the trouble in Kössen but again I was suspended, this time until I slipped out of the anorak, without any injury - I only had to ski down to recover the anorak when it reappeared at the bottom station.

And did the lift operators notice in either case? No way rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
espri, Sounds like a good excuse for a new jacket to me... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
not heard a ski jacket called an "anorak" before !!! i thought that was something train spotters wore ! Smile
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
espri wrote:
I keep it on, but with a slightly guilty conscience.

Why a guilty conscience?

If there is any problem caused by it, you are the only one affected (apart from any delays if the lifties notice and stop the lift).
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
alex_heney wrote:
Why a guilty conscience?

Because it probably is more sensible to take it off, reducing the chance of getting hooked up (though with my experiences with anoraks, maybe you're better off with a rucksack keeping your anorak away from the chair?). However, I'm too lazy to bother taking the rucksack off. And anyhow other things trouble my conscience more wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
backhojo wrote:
not heard a ski jacket called an "anorak" before !!! i thought that was something train spotters wore ! Smile

Laughing Laughing Guess that's because I was brought up in Scotland. I always call it an anorak.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
on..............unless packed pretty full.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Keep it on. Always. Even when bursting with Kids extra stuff.

If it's too fat I just turn sideways in the seat a bit.

Have no trouble with my conscience at all. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
I keep mine on with all the straps done up. The only time I had any problem on a chairlift was when I carried my rucksack, and got the straps caught getting off.
snow report
Keep it on.

Mine's a ski specific Ortovox and those efficient Germans have no dangly straps/clips/bungees/pockets etc. of any kind on the back of the pack. There's nothing to snag on the lift.
snow conditions
Only ever had a problem once riding with a pack, caught over the back of the seat and pitched me off balance when i got off. It was my own fault as I didn't have the straps tight enough. Never happened before or since, so still wear my pack on the lift.
snow conditions
Mosha Marc wrote:
Keep it on.

Mine's a ski specific Ortovox and those efficient Germans have no dangly straps/clips/bungees/pockets etc. of any kind on the back of the pack. There's nothing to snag on the lift.

Fair enough. Mine's a Black Diamond, with a rat's nest of straps at the back, so I take it off, usually.
ski holidays
Yes I'm a "keeper" as well, but mine is also "only small". I used to take it off, but the faffing around at the top got on my nerves. Only difficulty is if someone is too fast on the trigger finer pulling down the safety bar- risk of being pushed out the front. Toofy Grin
snow report
It is forbidden in Val Thorens. When the guards are smaller than me I sneeky peep in, pretending to be unaware. Embarassed
snow conditions
ton, I've never had a problem in Val T Puzzled
snow report
I was in my local rucksack outlet the other day. The young student type member of staff was watching me with much amusement. I was trying allsorts of things, eg, rucksaks on backwards, swinging one shoulder strap off and pulling the pack round to the front, sitting down with it on etc etc.

The outcome was to stick with the rucksack i have used for three years. It hasnt let me down yet. I usually swing my left shoulder strap off at the last minute. Also, easier access to the Mars bars, and the stolen breakfast croissants don't get squashed.

After boarding my travelling companions will turn to look at me and just knod their heads in aknowledgement, and smile because they know they'll be getting a quick snack.

Now, poles is another thing. I lost one earlier this year, it just slipped. Embarassed
However on the next lift i saw an instructor board the chairlift wit ease sittinng with his poles under his leg sticking out to the front. I thought he might struggle at the top. Silly of me to underestimate the skills of an experienced instructor wit the deep brown leather look to the lower half of his face. Off he whooshed! Maybe i'll try that next time. Need to practice a routine i think......
latest report
flowa wrote:
ton, I've never had a problem in Val T Puzzled

When we were there 2 weeks ago there were signs (sack with cross) at every lift we took.
We were also stopped and asked to get it off by the lift personel.

Our daughter had a problem getting out of the lift with her rucksack on her knees, some strings stuck in somewhere and the lift had to be stopped Puzzled (to put the horse behind the wagon we say in Holland)
snow conditions
I always keep mine on unless the lift operator objects which has happened in Flaine especially. In Italy, they couldn't care less. Not caused me any problems except for sitting a bit further forward when the lift is full, ie all 4 seats occupied. Then the bar hits my helmet and I keep the bar down until the last minute regardless of what my travel companions want. I have fallen off too many lifts to want to risk that again!
snow conditions
Only have a Camelbak which I wear under my jacket. So, no risk of strap problem, but I do start the day looking a little Quasimodo. Toofy Grin
latest report
Why take it off? You wont be able to ski off straight away at the top.
ski holidays
snowheadred wrote:
...... I have fallen off too many lifts to want to risk that again!

On the approach to dismount? The mind boggles.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Always leave my DaKine on.... keeps my back warm!!! Just sit a bit further forward and watch out when the bar comes down. Not fallen off yet.... touch wood... fingers crossed etc etc
snow conditions
I was on the Arcabulle Chairlift in Arc 2000 and my got stuck on the back of the chair.
Needless to say I went round with the chair and off down the side!!!!
Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
ton,
We were in VT in Jan and, I agree, there are signs on most of the lifts, but the lifties didn't seem to mind what we did.

I mostly always drop an arm out at the last minute becuase I don't like the being pushed forward feeling (or squishing my packed lunch that you have to take with you in VT!) where-as two of our group always left them on and we were never stopped. I can also put mine back on without pausing at the top, so perhaps it's how how the lifties perceive how well you will get on and off, and whether they think your daughter might get caught up... Confused
ski holidays
Dontlikeheights wrote:
I was on the Arcabulle Chairlift in Arc 2000 and my got stuck on the back of the chair.
Needless to say I went round with the chair and off down the side!!!!
Laughing Laughing Laughing

A bit like this. Not much fun. A season or so ago there was a video of a skier who fell quite away - but I can't find that vid now.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy