Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Nationwide to charge for transactions outside of Europe on credit cards!

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:
from May 6 customers with a Nationwide credit card will be charged 0.84 per cent for every transaction they make outside of continental Europe and a number of other countries including Israel.
The same fee will apply to debit card transactions from June 1, and both fees will be increased to 1 per cent from July in line with a rise being made by Visa.

So which card remains free?

full story

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 4-03-09 23:07; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bug..still if it all goes to plan I should be home by then anyway...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
will just see out the season.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Boredsurfing, hadn't heard this, will tell hubby, he'll be steaming. They have just reduced our credit limit for no real reason, they sent out a fairly standard letter saying this, we wrote and queried it but were told decision was final. We had only recently got the card with one limit and then within a few weeks they had reduced it, nothing had changed, we checked our file and they hadn't checked it again looking for new info. Our credit rating/history is flawless. We were not pleased but then we heard that some people have had their cards cancelled. Anyone else had this?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Boredsurfing, Thanks for that info. A bit darn annoying.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I used to be a loyal Nationwide member (customer). Seemingly week-by-week they are getting worse and worse. Sad They still haven't had the decency to re-arrange a meeting I had set up with them when the bad weather closed down most of the country over a month ago... They stopped taking payments (for bills etc) without informing us... They keep changing my overdraft limit (up and down) for no reason that I can tell... They continued making a Direct Debit payment after I cancelled it... They've dropped their interest rates to lower than most banks (now I know, theoretically, there's no 'problem' with this per se)...

Not a happy member at the moment, and for the first time ever I'm considering other options. Sad

I will, of course, keep my Flexaccount Debit Card for use abroad.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Saga Card remains free at the mo.
http://www.saga.co.uk/money-shop/credit-card/
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skisimon wrote:
I used to be a loyal Nationwide member (customer). Seemingly week-by-week they are getting worse and worse. Sad They still haven't had the decency to re-arrange a meeting I had set up with them when the bad weather closed down most of the country over a month ago... They stopped taking payments (for bills etc) without informing us... They keep changing my overdraft limit (up and down) for no reason that I can tell... They continued making a Direct Debit payment after I cancelled it... They've dropped their interest rates to lower than most banks (now I know, theoretically, there's no 'problem' with this per se)...

Not a happy member at the moment, and for the first time ever I'm considering other options. Sad

From what the article says, they ill also be charging for that from 11st June.

With both fees going up to 1% from 1st July.

BUT - the fees (both credit card and debit card) are ONLY for transactions outside Europe.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
alex_heney, I have edited the opening post to include that point.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Boredsurfing wrote:

Some of us dont qualify for one of those, yet rolling eyes Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
What constitutes continental europe,Is it geographical?,or those countries that are in the EU.If so where does Switzerland stand?
The way i read it, was no change unless you are outside of europe.
Maybe they will provide customers with a definitive list?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
russia is in europe if song contest is anything to go by???? Puzzled
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Which countries are affected is detailed very precisely at http://www.nationwide.co.uk/current_account/foreigntransactions.htm (yes, the URL is misleading).

Other cards which don't charge are mastercards: Post Office, and Abbey Zero (but that disappeared yesterday and their "new offer" hasn't yet appeared).

Note that Natiowide are not charging the 2.3-5% commission that most other companies charge.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Boredsurfing, alex_heney, RobW, thanks, very useful (and slightly annoying) information.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The full list of countries where you will NOT be charged is:
Quote:

Andorra
Austria
Bear Islands
Belgium
Bulgaria
Channel Islands
Corsica
Cyprus
Czech Rephublic
Denmark
Estonia
Faroe Islands
Falkland Islands
Finland
France
French Guiana
French Polynesia
French Southern & Antarctic lands
Germany
Gibraltar
Greece
Greenland
Guadeloupe
Hungary
Iceland
Ireland
Israel
Isle of Man
Italy
Kerguelen
Latvia
Liechtenstein
Lithuania
Luxembourg
Malta
Martinique
Mayotte
Monaco
Netherlands
New Caledonia
Norway
Poland
Portugal
Reunion
Romania
San Marino
Slovakia
Slovenia
pain
St Barts (Barths or Barthelemy)
St Martin
St Pierre and Miquelon
Sweden
Switzerland
Turkey
United Kingdom
Vatican City State
Wallis and Futuna Islands

The main missing ones I can see that are likely to affect skiers are USA, Canada, Argentina, Chile, Serbia, Japan
snow report
Phew!!!
I was a bit worried that my upcoming trip to the Wallis and Futuna Islands might be affected Laughing
ski holidays
Does anyone have any more experience of the Post Office Travel Money Card? There's only one thread about it on snowHead but it sounds pretty handy.
ski holidays
andyph wrote:
Does anyone have any more experience of the Post Office Travel Money Card?

No experience, but if I read the T&Cs correctly, it costs 1.5% to put sterling onto the card, and 2.75% commission when you make an overseas purchase using it. So that's about 4.25% which is almost as bad as buying your currency in a high-street exchange bureaux!

And, since it's a pre-loaded card, you don't even had the protection of the consumer credit act.

I'm sure some people might find it useful, but for many, Touch, bargepole, and don't are three words which spring to mind.
snow report
skisimon wrote:

That's funny.

Obviously you haven't seen davidof's thread on debit card fraud (which also has a summary of OHrex's woes).
ski holidays
comprex wrote:
skisimon wrote:

That's funny.

Why?

Quote:

Obviously you haven't seen davidof's thread on debit card fraud (which also has a summary of OHrex's woes).

If you want to be panicked into not using your cards, that is fine. But it doesn't make somebody else not panicking"funny".
snow conditions
[quote="alex_heney"][quote="comprex"]
skisimon wrote:

If you want to be panicked into not using your cards, that is fine. But it doesn't make somebody else not panicking"funny".

Quite right. It's absolutely hilarious.

Forsaking the umbrella protection provided by credit card companies on fraudulent purchases and relying on -voluntary- protection and -voluntary- restitution by the issuing bank just to save 0.84% is truly high comedy territory.
ski holidays
RobW wrote:
andyph wrote:
Does anyone have any more experience of the Post Office Travel Money Card?

No experience, but if I read the T&Cs correctly, it costs 1.5% to put sterling onto the card, and 2.75% commission when you make an overseas purchase using it. So that's about 4.25% which is almost as bad as buying your currency in a high-street exchange bureaux!

And, since it's a pre-loaded card, you don't even had the protection of the consumer credit act.

I'm sure some people might find it useful, but for many, Touch, bargepole, and don't are three words which spring to mind.

You're right, with those rates using it for sterling would be dumb (and I have plenty of plastic for that already). But for euros, you get the PO exchange rate (which is usually quite competitive) and no further charges except for ATM cash withdrawal and that's only £2, which is good compared to credit card foreign currency charges.

So it appears to offer the convenience of a foreign credit card and reasonable rates and charges - which is why I think I must be missing something!!! Where's the catch Puzzled
latest report
comprex wrote:
..........Obviously you haven't seen davidof's thread on debit card fraud (which also has a summary of OHrex's woes).

I haven't - nor have I found it on a search. Can you point me at it?
snow report
comprex wrote:
alex_heney wrote:

Quite right. It's absolutely hilarious.

Forsaking the umbrella protection provided by credit card companies on fraudulent purchases and relying on -voluntary- protection and -voluntary- restitution by the issuing bank just to save 0.84% is truly high comedy territory.

It might be, if that were what was happening.

But it isn't, so I'm not sure what you think "funny".

You may consider the banking code to be "voluntary", but it is what all the banks work do, at least as much as the credit card companies work to the non voluntary protection they offer under the CCA.

But regardless of whether the banking code is voluntary or not, the banks are obliged to refund any debits made to your account which are not authorised by you (i.e. are fraudulent). If they don;t, and you sue, then you will win (always assuming of course you can show to the satisfaction of teh court that the transactiones were fraudulent - which applies equally to CC transactions).
snow report
achilles, http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1152376&highlight=#1152376

I take both a N'wide credit card and a N'wide debit card abroad and use the former for purchases and the latter only for taking out cash. That said, I feel fairly confident that, if I were to buy goods on the debit card, and the seller defaulted, Nationwide would honour their obligations under the banking code. Fraudulent use of a card by a third party ie via identity theft or similar, is a separate matter from the protection offered by the Sale of Goods Act/the equivalent banking code: the only foolproof way around that is, I guess, never to use any form of plastic for anything, which doesn't seem practical.

Or maybe I'm missing something in comprex' argument. It has been known. wink
snow report
Hurtle, thanks.
ski holidays
andyph wrote:

You're right, with those rates using it for sterling would be dumb (and I have plenty of plastic for that already). But for euros, you get the PO exchange rate (which is usually quite competitive)

Just tried online and PO offered me a rate of 1.0857. Interbank rate (according to O&A) is currently 1.12339. That works out at about 3.3%. Better than some I suppose.
latest report
comprex, thus far, in my experience, it's Debit Cards 1 - 0 Credit Cards.

Somehow had someone clone my card or something (I'm usually very careful, but it has to be said that card security is not America's strong point - that is where it happened). I got the money back, only after telling them that it was being used by someone else (good job I regularly check my account).

My debit card, on the same trip, got the same treatment, but the issuer (Nationwide) cancelled the card on the first attempt to use it - they must have figured that it would have been difficult for me to withdraw money from an ATM in Denver about twenty minutes after making a purchase at Reading train station on my way home from the airport. They also called me when they did it so that I was aware, didn't stop me missing out on a sandwich at the station though.

Small sample, I know, and it has as much to do with the institutions as the type of card, but I'm happy to continue using my debit card; leaving the credit card at home so that I'm not tempted to use more than I can afford to pay back at the end of the month.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
RobW wrote:
andyph wrote:

You're right, with those rates using it for sterling would be dumb (and I have plenty of plastic for that already). But for euros, you get the PO exchange rate (which is usually quite competitive)

Just tried online and PO offered me a rate of 1.0857. Interbank rate (according to O&A) is currently 1.12339. That works out at about 3.3%. Better than some I suppose.

cf. Natwest curently offering 1.06 something, so PO looks generous.
snow conditions
Anybody ever tried this? It's a pre-loaded debit card. So you know the exchange rate you are getting for your money up front, and there are no further charges.

http://www.caxtonfxcard.com/feesncharges.asp?dist=CAXTGENL
snow conditions
James the Last wrote:
Anybody ever tried this? It's a pre-loaded debit card. So you know the exchange rate you are getting for your money up front, and there are no further charges.

http://www.caxtonfxcard.com/feesncharges.asp?dist=CAXTGENL

Same idea as the PO one but with much better rates, from the look of it. I'd be interested in any snowHead experience.
snow conditions
James the Last - My husband has a Caxton card. It has worked very well for our trips. I don't know all the ins and outs of the terms and conditions but knowing him, he researched it well and he wouldn't have opted for it unless it was a good deal!

Last trip we went on in March he pre-loaded it while avidly watching the exchange rates and then topped it up on line a couple of times while we were away - no problems at all. wink
ski holidays
Boredsurfing wrote:

So which card remains free?

Post Office Credit Card
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-money
snow conditions
sarah, as Nationwide are still a building society, they have to abide by the appropriate rules, which means they can only offer balance sheet lending - they cannot securitise in any way, shape or form.

Crudely put, if they don't have sufficient money on their books from peoples deposit accounts, they have to trim their liability on lending, which is why people may find their credit limit being cut for no apparant reason.

I don't know how much you use your credit card, however this can have an impact also. There was a Daily Mail field-day when Egg decided to withdraw millions of customers credit cards from them purely because the usage of those customers was not making them enough money. Unfortunately, it is something they are entitled to do.

There can be a number of comercial reasons behind it, but the likelihood is it's one of these.
ski holidays
Boredsurfing wrote:

No its not - charges 1% fee on transactions outside of Europe - same as Nationwide's full rate Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy