Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Thomsonski online. Is carriage a ripoff?

Poster: A snowHead
Have recently booked a last minute trip to andorra through 'thomsonski online'. As i will be taking a pair of ski.s i was looking for the ski carriage charge. Could not see it anywhere so proceeded to book holiday. ( At the bit that says TOTAL PRICE ) A couple of days later, i decided to ring to check and was told that ski carriage cannot be booked online and would have to be paid seperatly at £30.
If i hadn't rang to make sure, it would be an unpleasent surprise at the airport check in desk. So, do i ring back and pay it now, Or, do i stand at the check in gate, Jump up & down shouting "No one told me. This is a disgrace!", request legal aid and a soliciter from my other ripoff (travel insurance). Perhaps it's just me booking a ski trip after a gallon of stella, or has anyone else come across this? (Not the stella bit)
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's pretty normally when flying with a TO (tour operator)

If you fly sleezyjet or similar you still pay for ski carriage.

Enjoy your trip - drink 3 to 5 pints less and then you'll break even with the joy of skiing on skis that you know and like..
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
justme, book it now. It says on my ticket that skis not pre-booked cannot be guaranteed carriage and it will cost you to store them at the airport if not...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sounds like a rip off to me; a 'total price' for a ski hol which requires you to pay £30 more to take your own skis is not really a total price, is it? Whether or not the extra £30 for ski carriage is justified is neither here nor there, there should be clear warnings about the extra £30. Still, that's TOs for you; you probably have to cough up if you want toa take your skis.
I must say, drinking a gallon of Stella by 6.15pm on a weekday is pretty impressive (can't stand Stella myself, but whatever your preference, if you're going for a lunchtime drink, go for a lunchtime drink, I say).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
yeh i wud recommend booking it now...
however thomson and crystal are more expensive than others for ski carriage.
if i remember correctly there was an extras part before total price on thomson website
first choice is only £15! wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
sorry, not sympathetic. It's clearly stated on the website under "what's included" that ski carriage isn't. Very few airlines or TOs will carry skis free, so this is hardly an unusual practice. Conclusion is - be sober before committing yourself to major expenditure online. And read the smallprint.

You have got insurance, haven't you? Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jollykay wrote:

if i remember correctly there was an extras part before total price on thomson website wink

There was, but they've removed it this year for some reason - meaning you have to ring up to book ski carriage!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
justme wrote:
Have recently booked a last minute trip to andorra through 'thomsonski online'. As i will be taking a pair of ski.s i was looking for the ski carriage charge. Could not see it anywhere so proceeded to book holiday. ( At the bit that says TOTAL PRICE ) A couple of days later, i decided to ring to check and was told that ski carriage cannot be booked online and would have to be paid seperatly at £30.
If i hadn't rang to make sure, it would be an unpleasent surprise at the airport check in desk. So, do i ring back and pay it now, Or, do i stand at the check in gate, Jump up & down shouting "No one told me. This is a disgrace!", request legal aid and a soliciter from my other ripoff (travel insurance). Perhaps it's just me booking a ski trip after a gallon of stella, or has anyone else come across this? (Not the stella bit)

I'm surprised you can't book it online any more. You still could with Crystalski (same company) when I was checking prices earlier this year.
[EDIT] Actually, you can - I checked after making that post, by going as far through the booking process as required to bring up that page (and for the 21st march this year, so still a late booking).[/EDIT]

But £30 is the standard charge for any of the TUI group companies for pre-booked ski carriage.

It's more than Inghams or Thomascook group companies, but less than Easyjet or Ryanair.

But definitely BOOK NOW. If you don't then firstly it will be a higher charge, and secondly there is no guarantee you would get your skis on the plane at all. Which would result in you having to pay (probably more than £30) storage fees at the airport, plus having to hire in resort.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 4-03-09 23:41; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
richmond wrote:
Sounds like a rip off to me; a 'total price' for a ski hol which requires you to pay £30 more to take your own skis is not really a total price, is it? Whether or not the extra £30 for ski carriage is justified is neither here nor there, there should be clear warnings about the extra £30.

Given that I doubt if 10% of TO customers take their own skis, no I would not expect ski carriage fees to be automatically included.

But normally, when booking, there will be a page where you can add pre-booked ski hire OR ski carriage.

I just checked the Thomson site by going as far as the "extras" page, and you can book ski carriage online (at £30), if you expand the "ski equipment" heading.

Easy to miss, but why the OP was told he couldn't I don't know.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
very few airlines or TOs will carry skis free, so this is hardly an unusual practice.

Well so far this year I've flown KLM, Northwest, Air France, and BA, none of which charge for skis. Also flown Titan (who?) and Flybe, both who do charge.

I don't think my sample of 66% of airlines carrying skis free can be realistically be described as very few.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

But £30 is the standard charge for any of the TUI group companies for pre-booked ski carriage.
It's more than Inghams or Thomascook group companies, but less than Easyjet or Ryanair.

Ryanair is now a totally outrageous £50 Shocked return for skis.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
RobW wrote:
pam w wrote:
very few airlines or TOs will carry skis free, so this is hardly an unusual practice.

Well so far this year I've flown KLM, Northwest, Air France, and BA, none of which charge for skis. Also flown Titan (who?) and Flybe, both who do charge.

I don't think my sample of 66% of airlines carrying skis free can be realistically be described as very few.

It certainly can.

Because you do not have "66% of airlines", you have 66% of a very limited sample, amounting to a total of four airlines.

And while there are certainly more than just those four, it is still a pretty small proportion of all the airlines serving ski resorts from the UK.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Because you do not have "66% of airlines", you have 66% of a very limited sample, amounting to a total of four airlines.

And while there are certainly more than just those four, it is still a pretty small proportion of all the airlines serving ski resorts from the UK.

It just goes to prove if you fly budget or with a TO you pay extra for everything. None of the scheduled airlines I checked charge extra for skis. However I understand Air Canada will not accept any responsibility if they lose your bags, skis, boots or anything else they carry on your behalf so insure insure insure Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Most TOs, including the one under discussion, make their terms and conditions very clear on their website. If people don't check under "what's included" then they only have themselves to blame. If, as stated above, only 10% take skis with them, it would be most unfair to make the other 90% pay for them. I don't see what the fuss is about, really. I'm sure we've all failed to read "terms and conditions" carefully in the past (I know I have Embarassed ) but I wouldn't have the gall to moan about it, much less
Quote:

stand at the check in gate, Jump up & down shouting "No one told me. This is a disgrace!", request legal aid and a soliciter

Check-in for charter flights is bad enough as it is, without some wally starting a punch up.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well if it makes the extra charge clear on the website, fair enough, I suppose. It would be futile in this day and age to object to the use of the term 'total price' to describe a price which for many customers will not be the total price for the service provided.
ski holidays
richmond wrote:
Well if it makes the extra charge clear on the website, fair enough, I suppose. It would be futile in this day and age to object to the use of the term 'total price' to describe a price which for many customers will not be the total price for the service provided.

It is the total price for the service you have booked. It is hardly their fault if you latere decide you want an additional service - they aren't mind readers.

It would be reasonable to complain if they showed something they called a "total price" at a point where you have not actually booked, and where that "total price" did not include things that every traveller would need (or even almost every traveller).

I'm not aware there has ever been a time when you could just turn up at the gate and be sure of getting your skis on, even on airlines where the carriage is free. You have always AFAIK been expected to pre-book even the free carriage unless you wanted to risk not getting your skis on the plane.
ski holidays
alex_heney wrote:

So whilst you accept there are certainly more that those four, you still think that only a small proportion don't charge.

If every SH posted their results this year, how many airlines do you think would be charging, and how many not? What research have you done to show those who don't charge are a very few (and of course, what do you mean by very few: 2, 4, 10??)

Let's do some estimation...
Assuming that all the TOs charge, then that's maybe 6 airlines. Then assume all the cheapies charge. That's another half dozen. So maybe 12 airlines charge for skis - call it 15 to be generous.

Now, lets pick a UK airport at random - lets say Gatwick. How many airlines fly out of Gatwick? About 66. So say just under half of those fly to countries which have ski resorts and so may be used by skiers: say 30 airlines.

So we have 30 airlines, of which 15 charge for skis and 15 don't. Assuming these figures aren't widely out, would you call that very few?? I wouldn't describe 50% as a small proportion.

If you think my figures *are* widely out, then please provide your evidence.
snow report
Quote:

It would be reasonable to complain if they showed something they called a "total price" at a point where you have not actually booked, and where that "total price" did not include things that every traveller would need (or even almost every traveller).

It would also be reasonable if the website in question didn't give an eminently clear explanation of what is included in the total holiday cost.
ski holidays
Oh goody, another 'bash the cheap operators for charging for skis thread. rolling eyes

I LIKE menu pricing. If I'm taking skis I'll happily pay for them, and even more happily save money when I'm NOT. Ditto check in luggage. By allowing me 10Kg of carry on (for free) Ryanair can get me from London to Germany for £6 return if I'm travelling light. That's GREAT!

I DONT like having to pay for stuff I'm not using, and I don't like having to pay more to subsidise others that ARE using the thing I'm paying for but not using Madeye-Smiley

So yes, charge me for check in bags, charge me for skis, charge me for meals and drinks, even charge me to use the bog if you like, as long as the charges are clearly stated and I can see what I get for what I pay I can chose those services I want, and save money by not paying for the stuff I don't need.

Well Done O'leary et al! Very Happy
ski holidays
alex_heney wrote:
richmond wrote:

It is the total price for the service you have booked. It is hardly their fault if you latere decide you want an additional service - they aren't mind readers.

It is the 'price' for the service you've booked. 'Total price' carries, and is clearly (to me) intended to carry, then implication that you will have to pay no more for what you could reasonably expect to need for the travel and accom element of your hol. I think that this includes ski carriage when it's needed (I don't take skis, so I don't need it). It would be perfectly feasible for 'ski carriage' to be a selectable option, adding £30 pop to the 'total charge' figure or failing that to say 'price, excluding ski carriage if required'. It seems to me that they are trying to make the hol appear cheaper than it will actually be until you have committed yourself. For a significant proportion of customers, the 'total price' will not be the total price. At best it's unhelpful, at worst it's deliberately misleading.

Quote:
I'm not aware there has ever been a time when you could just turn up at the gate and be sure of getting your skis on, even on airlines where the carriage is free. You have always AFAIK been expected to pre-book even the free carriage unless you wanted to risk not getting your skis on the plane.

I have no problem with the charge or the need to prebook. My problem is with the use of language to imply what is not true.
snow report
Axsman wrote:
Oh goody, another 'bash the cheap operators for charging for skis thread. rolling eyes

Rather a 'bash the TOs for not making their charges as clear as they could with little or no effort' thread. One of the many reasons I prefer DIY is that I don't find myself misled by TOs into thinking that I might be getting a cheaper hol than I am.
snow conditions
You sure its £30 as I only paid £15 with the same TO.
ski holidays
Louis, maybe that was £15 per ski. Typical TO trick. When you turn up at the airport, you'll have to leave one ski behind or pay a late booking fee of £875.
ski holidays
Louis, Charges keep jumping up, Ryanair has gone form £30 to £57 in six months.
ski holidays
Quote:

not making their charges as clear as they could with little or no effort'

I hold no brief for TOs and haven't used one for ages, but the "what's included" on that website could hardly be clearer, and it's easy to find.
snow report
Louis, It was £15 last year. It is £30 this year.
snow report
richmond, I would be surprised if anybody else expects the "toatl price" shown during the booking process to reflect anything other than the total for what you have booked.

They can't possibly guess what you might want to book.

Ski carriage is a selectable option, and it does alter the "total Price" shown when you select it.
snow conditions
RobW wrote:
alex_heney wrote:

So whilst you accept there are certainly more that those four, you still think that only a small proportion don't charge.

If every SH posted their results this year, how many airlines do you think would be charging, and how many not? What research have you done to show those who don't charge are a very few (and of course, what do you mean by very few: 2, 4, 10??)

Let's do some estimation...
Assuming that all the TOs charge, then that's maybe 6 airlines. Then assume all the cheapies charge. That's another half dozen. So maybe 12 airlines charge for skis - call it 15 to be generous.

Now, lets pick a UK airport at random - lets say Gatwick. How many airlines fly out of Gatwick? About 66. So say just under half of those fly to countries which have ski resorts and so may be used by skiers: say 30 airlines.

So we have 30 airlines, of which 15 charge for skis and 15 don't. Assuming these figures aren't widely out, would you call that very few?? I wouldn't describe 50% as a small proportion.

Neither would I, but I can't believe your guesses are anywhere close to reality.

I would be surprised if there are as many as 30 "major" scheduled airlines which fly from the UK to reasonably common ski destinations. I would also be surprised if none of those charge, which is an assumption you have made.

Quote:

If you think my figures *are* widely out, then please provide your evidence.

Well I have just had a look at routes/airlines from both heathrow and Gatwick for ski destinations.

Between them, the following list of airlines operate (scheduled):
BA
EasyJet
Thomas cook
Air Transat
Flyglobespan
Viking
Flybe
Aer Lingus
BMI
Thomson Airways
Air Canada
Swiss
Lufthansa
SAS
Virgin Atlantic
Austrian
Bulgaria Air
Alitalia

Plus 12 different charter operators listed on the Gatwick site.

So that is 30 operators (and several "budget" airlines don't operate from either - Ryanair & BMIBaby being the most obvious).

Of the scheduled airlines above, the following make a charge for ski equipment - EasyJet, Thomas cook, Flyglobespan,Viking, Flybe, Thomson Airways, SAS, Aer Lingus.
I could not find the policies of Bulgaria Air or Alitalia
Of the remainder, Air Canada and BMI allow skis free if the total hold luggage allowance of 20Kg is not exceeded (not likely you can manage with that little inlcuding skis and boots).

The others (BA, Swiss, Air Transat, Lufthansa, Virgin Atlantic, Austrian) either include within decent sized allowances (2 * 23Kg), or carry 1 set per person free in addition to other allowances.

6 out of 30 is not very many IMO. You may think otherwise of course.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
alex_heney wrote:
I can't believe your guesses are anywhere close to reality.

I would be surprised if there are as many as 30 "major" scheduled airlines which fly from the UK to reasonably common ski destinations. I would also be surprised if none of those charge, which is an assumption you have made.

If you read my figures again, that's 30 airlines in total - scheduled (traditional + low cost) and charter - flying from Gatwick. I never said NONE of those 30 airlines charged, infact I explicitly estimated that 15 do charge! So that's a 50:50 split between those which charge and those which don't.

Quote:
I have just had a look at routes/airlines from both heathrow and Gatwick for ski destinations.

BA
EasyJet
Thomas cook
Air Transat
Flyglobespan
Viking
Flybe
Aer Lingus
BMI
Thomson Airways
Air Canada
Swiss
Lufthansa
SAS
Virgin Atlantic
Austrian
Bulgaria Air
Alitalia

So that is 30 operators (and several "budget" airlines don't operate from either - Ryanair & BMIBaby being the most obvious).

Wow! My estimate of 30 wasn't bad then.

Quote:

Of the remainder, Air Canada and BMI allow skis free if the total hold luggage allowance of 20Kg is not exceeded (not likely you can manage with that little inlcuding skis and boots).

Dunno where you get that info on Air Canada - but it is not what they state at http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/airport/baggage/sports_equip.html. AC allow 2x23kg bags, PLUS skis+boots (as long as you tell them in advance). I'll trust you that the remainder is correct. Skullie

Quote:

6 out of 30 is not very many IMO. You may think otherwise of course

Well once you eliminate the two you couldn't find, and AC, then it's closer to 25% using your figures - hardly only a few (which I'd interpret as 3 or 4), or a small proportion (e.g. under 10%).
snow report
RobW wrote:
alex_heney wrote:
I can't believe your guesses are anywhere close to reality.

If you read my figures again, that's 30 airlines in total - scheduled (traditional + low cost) and charter - flying from Gatwick. I never said NONE of those 30 airlines charged, infact I explicitly estimated that 15 do charge! So that's a 50:50 split between those which charge and those which don't.

Oops. Sorry, yes I had (mis)read it as 30 airlines in addition to the charters.

Quote:

Quote:
I have just had a look at routes/airlines from both heathrow and Gatwick for ski destinations.

BA
EasyJet
Thomas cook
Air Transat
Flyglobespan
Viking
Flybe
Aer Lingus
BMI
Thomson Airways
Air Canada
Swiss
Lufthansa
SAS
Virgin Atlantic
Austrian
Bulgaria Air
Alitalia

Wow! My estimate of 30 wasn't bad then.

Agreed.
Quote:

Quote:

Dunno where you get that info on Air Canada - but it is not what they state at http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/airport/baggage/sports_equip.html. AC allow 2x23kg bags, PLUS skis+boots (as long as you tell them in advance). I'll trust you that the remainder is correct. Skullie

Well it isn't plus skis & boots (it's only the oversize bit that is waived, not the overweight), but yes, I'm not sure why I thoughth it was a 20Kg one. It shoudl be with the others that allow 2*23Kg, as you say.

Quote:

Quote:

6 out of 30 is not very many IMO. You may think otherwise of course

Well once you eliminate the two you couldn't find, and AC, then it's closer to 25% using your figures - hardly only a few (which I'd interpret as 3 or 4), or a small proportion (e.g. under 10%).

A matter of interpretation as to exactly what "a few" means. But yes, it is more than I thought. And less than the 50:50 you thought Smile
ski holidays
Axsman, AMEN to your post.

it is BLOODY obvious when booking what you do and dont pay for, if you struggle with it maybe online purchasing isnt for you and you should go to a travel agent who will do it for you for a considerable premium.
snow report
alex_heney wrote:
Ski carriage is a selectable option, and it does alter the "total Price" shown when you select it.

In that case, I don't see the OP's problem, apart from taking on a gallon of Stella.
snow report
richmond wrote:
alex_heney wrote:

In that case, I don't see the OP's problem, apart from taking on a gallon of Stella.

Presactly. neither do most of us Smile
snow conditions
I'm glad that we've sorted it all out.
snow report
Well, bug me. What a can of worms i've opened up here. Thanks to all for advice & replies. Have now (unhappily) paid ski carriage. Still can't find the tickbox online, but don't want to go into that lot again. P.S. Anyone arinsal for last week of march, fancy a gallon of stella? [/b]
ski holidays
justme wrote:
Have now (unhappily) paid ski carriage. Still can't find the tickbox online, but don't want to go into that lot again.

For reference for the next time, it is on the screen after you select the room(s) and occupant(s).

That screen is the one for optional extras and has a number of options, most of which are "collapsed" initially.

If you click on the "ski equipment (click to expand)" option, it expands, and one of the options there is for ski carriage (still £30, you won't get it for less with Thomson/Crystal).
snow report
Looking at the cost of carrying skis on Ryanair, I thought of booking a seat for them, would have worked out much cheaper than putting them in the hold.

Would have been interesting getting a passport for Mr Atomic SX7 though and the chaos it would cause on the metal detector........
latest report
arlberg, Would they have their own carry on and check in limits? What if they wanted to take skis with them? Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Just for info, Air Canada allows 2 x 23kg of luggage. If taking skis and boots substitute 1 x23kg for these - they waiver the extra piece fee and the oversize fee. ergo you can take one holdall @ 23kg , a boot bag and ski bag both totalling no more than 23kg Smile

Hope that clears up the Air Canada luggage debate Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Well made it there & back, was not at all surprised to see various people at the checkin desk looking very pissed off at havin to pay 40 quid. "we booked online and there was no option for ski carriage" They all sang.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy