Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz - Resort practical advice please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are going to Avoriaz for the first time on March 21st by car. The resort is car-free so I am concerned that the transfer from the carpark to the apartment will be messy and time-consuming. Is this true? We usually seem to have a lot of baggage....
In which area of the resort should we stay? There are still lots of apartments to rent everywhere. I guess that ski-in/ski-out is good everywhere, but is it better to stay in Falaise to be close to the carpark? Are there grocery stores in all areas? Is there a noisy nightclub area one should avoid? We are looking for a quiet area to stay in.

Spent 2 weeks in Val Thorens earlier this year and are really loking forward to exploring PDS!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Admittedly it's a very long time since I've been to Avoriaz (26 years!) but I do remember the horse-drawn sleighs that took us and our luggage from the coach park to the accommodation...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
michaelk, Just got back from there last week. Our apartment, (the block was called Sassanka), was only about 200m up from Les Prodains cable car so we lugged it up there. I don't think it will make any difference to you staying close to the car park because as well as horse and sleds they have large snowcats to ferry passengers and luggage from the car park. Both the supermarkets are within 150m of each other in the main 'street' so I would suggest you stay within 200m of the main street to make your life easier if anything. We found the bars and clubs really quiet and talking to the bar staff a lot of that has got to do with the credit crunch with people simply not going out splashing the cash, maybe having a few drinks in the apartment and a couple in the bars afterwards - so I wouldn't worry about noise it it seems to be really family orientated. It is most definetly a 'ski in, ski out' resort wherever you stay, you just have to work out which piste takes you back to your apartment which initially can be a bit confusing! I couldn't get over the size of the area it is just unbelievable, have a good one.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
michaelk, Welcome to snowHead s.

Find out where you will be staying first. You may not need to drive up to Avoriaz at all! You can get the Prodains lift, if so there is a free car park at the bottom. If you want to stay at the the falaise area (top part of the town) drop the others off at the home station with the luggage and park in the outside car park (it is cheaper!).

One person goes to the estate agents and pick up the keys. Then walk back about 50mtrs to your group and get a resort transfer (either horse or rack track) the rack track will take the whole group for one price about €10 depending on where the apartment is!

The area to avoid is the section by the residence Snow, you will hate what I will say next but that is because it is full of Swedes!!! They party harder than the French and as a result that area is more noisy than most! Falaise would also be quiet, as is our place in Datcha!

Have fun you will not be dissapointed.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Horse drawn sleighs for 10 euro a go, hold 3 plus luggage. Not messy. Drop off luggage by the 'sleigh stop', park the car whilst passengers are getting sleigh, hop on board. Great way to start especially if you have children. Stay in Avoriaz, as nowhere can be as universally ski in ski out as Avoriaz.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thank you all for the good advice - not least about the Swedes rolling eyes I know exactly what you mean.

We are looking forward to exploring PDS very much!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy