Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Free wine - TO approaches

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
richmond wrote:
alex_heney, indeedy, but the B&B element can be cheaper in a B&B pension than in a half board hotel, although of course for the extra money, you get more facilities (which in general I don't want - a comfy bed, an armchair, a shower, a bit of storage space and easy access to a bar does me). I'd sooner pay, say, €75/night B&B and €30/day dinner under my own steam than €105/day half board, even if the half board hotel has more facilities. Still, as several people have said, you pays your money ... .

Like you say, each to his own Smile

But I would never be likely to pay as much as €75 per night for half board, never mind B&B Shocked

Unless you were talking of the price for a couple, rather than per person (I always travel solo for ski trips).
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The actual amounts depend on when, where and what, but the principle remains the same; I prefer to spend money on grub than on hotel facilities, is what it boils down to (which may account for a slight lardiness here and there).
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
James the Last wrote:
looks forward to Cathy coming up with similar numbers for Obertauern disproving his theory::

Laughing Laughing Believe me - I haven't the slightest intention of wasting another minute of my time on such a pointless and ridiculous discussion, which started because you came up with the figure of £1,500 for staying in a hotel and I pointed out I never paid anywhere near that in Austria. If you think 900 Euros for the week is cheap, you really should get out of France a bit more. BTW, we paid 690 Euros for that hotel in Obertauern last Jan, including liftpass. But then it is a cheap resort wink

Now then, I've got Serfaus to look forward to at the weekend - now that IS expensive Shocked snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

tiredness from skiing makes overindulgence difficult

Puzzled
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w,
I am still amazed that after eating breakfast (eggs, dry toast, ham) lunch (pizza/lasagne/burger and chips) and dinner (4 courses though I never ate pud) that i came back off my New Year ski trip the same weight. ps I also drank like a fish! Happy days snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We have stayed in chalets, or gone self catering in the past, but this year, for a short break (my birthday treat) at halfterm we opted for a 4 star hotel in a very small Austrian resort called Filzmoos. Not only was there the most extensive breakfast buffet I have ever seen, plus cooked to order options available, and a four (or five) course dinner each evening, but they also served afternoon tea (they called it 'skiers snack') as part of the half board package, between 4 and six pm every day. This was much more than a snack - it consisted of soup and bread, plus cakes (the best apple strudel I have ever eaten), with a choice of teas or juice to drink (oddly enough, you had to pay if you wanted coffee). It was like coming back to a chalet and having tea laid out, which is great when you have hungry children who otherwise find it difficult to last out until the evening meal. I thought it added a lot of extra value and could not fault the food. I also enjoyed the interaction with the Austrian owners and waiters and eating Austrian food (whereas the chalets we have stayed at in the past tended to serve either English or standard international type cuisine).

The hotel was good standard accommodation, though I missed having a sitting room and fire as you might get in a chalet, not really being a 'bar' type person. It did have a sauna/steam room. but no swimming pool, which would have been ideal for the children. However, there was not much opportunity to talk to the other guests (a mix of Austrian, German, Dutch, French and one other English family), as we all sat at separate tables for meals.

Overall, my preference is probably for a good standard chalet, run by the owners (rather than a TO operated chalet), with good food and wine, good location and a congenial mix of fellow guests (and well behaved children of a similar age and outlook to ours), however budget constraints these days usually mean we opt for self catering, which is good in that that we can eat what we like when we like and have the space to ourselves. I would love to be able to afford to stay at a hotel with a swimming pool, spa and delicious food, but as we always ski in school holidays this tends to work out rather expensive. Different options suit different people, often dependent upon the group you are travelling with.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
cathy, Glad we've got this sorted. The conclusion seems to be that in countries where there is a choice of chalets or hotels, then the hotel is likely to be considerably more expensive. In countries where there are no chalets, then you're better off staying in a hotel.

Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
James the Last wrote:
cathy, Glad we've got this sorted. The conclusion seems to be that in countries where there is a choice of chalets or hotels, then the hotel is likely to be considerably more expensive. In countries where there are no chalets, then you're better off staying in a hotel.

Madeye-Smiley

That is your conclusion, not "the" conclusion Smile

I believe hotels do tend, on average to be a little more than chalets in similar places. But I have seen nothing to suggest it is likely to be "considerably" more expensive, and they do also tend to have more facilities for the additional cost.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cathy, just be glad that skiers like James the Last stay in France and leave the more pleaasant villages of Austria to those who appreciate them! Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I believe hotels do tend, on average to be a little more than chalets in similar places. But I have seen nothing to suggest it is likely to be "considerably" more expensive, and they do also tend to have more facilities for the additional cost.

One thing I would say about Chalets is that if you leave the booking til late and there are only a couple of you there does seem to be bigger discounts available than on "equivalent" hotels. The UK TO's seem to work on the basis that as they're commited to the cost of operation they may as well get something for every room rather than leave it standing empty??? We certainly found this when looking to book a break in Austria for this Easter... some cracking deals on chalets available, but not as many deals on hotels and discounts smaller. We eventually booked a "four star" chalet hotel with brochure price for that week of £979 for £499pp.... It has a wellness area like a lot of 3/4/5* Austrian hotels and the facilities overall seem pretty good...on paper at least! Of course, a Chalet Hotel is substantially larger than most Chalets therefore has the wherewithall to provide more facilities, but even so, thats a pretty good deal for Lech I reckon... and substantially less than the cheapest Lech Hotel deal I could find on the net, or put together independently.

One thing I do find is that I can usually put together a hotel or B&B holiday for half term or new year much much cheaper than any chalet holiday at the same resort in a brochure by doing it independently.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy