Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

anyone got a helmet cam.

Poster: A snowHead
I am looking at one of these for this years trip to attach to my helmet and was wondering if anyone else has one?
Cheers
Matt

http://www.sport-cam.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=Kit2&cat=11
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes, well very similar kit. They're great
Looks like a nice little kit.

I bought mine through RF Concepts (http://www.rfconcepts.co.uk/)
They do a similar pack to the one you're looking at with mini DVR and the BulletCam

Word of advice though,
1. Spare batteries are a must, cold will kill them quicker,
2. See if you can get a remote control start/stop for the kit, saves struggling with fiddly kit which doens't like getting wet/snowy.
3. And give the minicam lens and the glass cover a thorough going over with an anti-mist cloth or solution, as the cam warms up against the cold outside, the lens can mist over.

Enjoy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ok will bear that in mind, Would you defo recomend one? Do you use it enought to justify the cost?
Cheers
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Matt_G wrote:
ok will bear that in mind, Would you defo recomend one? Do you use it enought to justify the cost?
Cheers

I am not sure how much Richard's camera cost (better that I don't really, it's boys gadget stuff and it was probably a ridiculous amount that could have been much better spent on shoes or something!) but the entertainment value is worth it!!

Seriously, it is excellent for spotting dodgy technique too and does make a lovely holiday souvenir and the family that don't go, especially Richard's parents, really enjoy seeing the films.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I really want one of these. Will probably reverse it to see who is behind me! This months Fallline mag. has reviewed some.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
JulesB, ROTFLMFAO ..

I got mine from Decathlon .... great fun but totally unjustifiable!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Agenterre, and not just for skiing. There are some that look like sun glasses, but be careful, secret filming is not legal in some countries and/or situations!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have a similar set up with it recording to an archos mp3 player. It's pretty good but it won't be as good quality as it would be recording to an actual video camera. The price for me was justifiable as i use it in the summer for mountain biking as well and also seeing as it's an mp3 player it serves more than one purpose.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
what even that one i posted wont be as good as a video camera?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
There may be a fair amount of video compression depending on the spec of the DVR. I'm not sure about that particular setup. Some great info about helmet cams on this website:-

http://helmetcameracentral.com/reviews

I've got the Xtreme recall setup reviewed on the site above and been very impressed with the results. Example footage below (obviously compressed for youtube, the uncompressed original looks great on a TV or fullscreen)

http://youtube.com/v/JyQQl82zjrM

click "watch in high quality" for best picture
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've got one from Sportcam.co.uk, and i'm reasonably happy with it. deatils here http://www.sport-cam.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=Kit4&cat=11

My only complaints are that the camera is a Sharp camera (not the best quality but ok) and it had a problem where it would only send B&W signal to the DVR, this turned out to be a dodgy connection inside the camera, after stripping it apart and applying some hot glue around the cable that joins the cam board it has been fine. also the DVR can be a pain in the ar$e to use, it doesnt have a remote function so you have to keep pulling it out of your pocket/bag every time you wish to start/stop recording. the battery life is a little shor to leave it recording all the time, and if the battery fails the recorded session does not get saved properly.

I would highly recomend looking at camera kits designed for motorsport aplication, as they will normally all have a remote and much better battery life, they also handle vibration very well. FastFilms.co.uk have a nice range of high quality cameras, good enough for BBC to use when filming TopGear. i have no connection with them and only recomend them as i have had very good service from them over several years.

If your recorder has the capability to record to a solid state meduim then chose this over recording direct to the HDD then transfer the file when you have finished recording.

Oh and dont make the mistake i made this year when you set the camera up on your helmet, i tested it with a friend looking a the DVR whilst i walked around the room, it looked fine, but it turned out that my sking stance made the camera point a couple foot in front of my ski tips!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Deejayry wrote:

My only complaints are that the camera is a Sharp camera (not the best quality but ok) and it had a problem where it would only send B&W signal to the DVR, this turned out to be a dodgy connection inside the camera, after stripping it apart and applying some hot glue around the cable that joins the cam board it has been fine. also the DVR can be a pain in the ar$e to use, it doesnt have a remote function so you have to keep pulling it out of your pocket/bag every time you wish to start/stop recording. the battery life is a little shor to leave it recording all the time, and if the battery fails the recorded session does not get saved properly.

So apart from the mediocre camera, dodgy wiring, no remote and poor battery life, you're reasonably happy with it Puzzled

But that does at least raise all the main points to look for in a good setup.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm off to Samoens next week, will be taking the Cam Kit with me so will post some footage (assuming that Always_29 overcomes her camera-shyness Wink ) so you can see what it comes out like.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Richard_Sideways wrote:
I'm off to Samoens next week, will be taking the Cam Kit with me so will post some footage (assuming that Always_29 overcomes her camera-shyness Wink ) so you can see what it comes out like.

Richard which package have you got? How do you go on with pressing record etc....

Deejayry, them on fastfilms are a little out of my price range. cheers anyway though.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dogcams do a lipstick camera kit with mic, battery pack, mount etc to link to your miniDV or HDD video camera. Has onyone tried this or similar? At £75 it seems good value to use on the slopes and track.
snow conditions
uktrailmonster, Ok, I suppose that many would have been a bit annoyed with the problems i have encountered, I was aware the camera was the mediocre Sharp camera and that there was no remote on the DVR when i bought the kit, I was on a budget & in a bit of a hurry needing the kit to be delivered before i went away 3 days later, sportcam seemed to be the only place i coud find a complete kit on my budget and in stock.

The dodgy wiring is probably not the norm, it may even have been damaged in use as it was ok during the first few sesions and i did take one or two falls during recording. now that the wiring is fixed in the camera i have founc that the kit produces quite nice quality video, certainly adequate for youtube or watching on a TV.

The main difference between the Sharp and Sony bullet cameras is that the Sony sensor is more sensitive, therfore shorter exposures are required, in turn alowing for a higher frame rate. However, in skiing it is rare that the light conditions are low enough for this to become a problem. Sony sensors are also "Anti Bloom" meaning that if one pixel of the sensor becomes saturated it will not flood its charge in to adjacent pixels, an anti bloom camera can be identified by pointing at a bright light source, if the camera blooms you will see lines (usualy vertical) extending from the light source. Again in sking i have not found blooming to be an issue with my camera.
snow conditions
midgetbiker wrote:
Dogcams do a lipstick camera kit with mic, battery pack, mount etc to link to your miniDV or HDD video camera. Has onyone tried this or similar? At £75 it seems good value to use on the slopes and track.

I've got one of these which plugs into my miniDV camcorder. Picture quality is pretty good for such a small camera, but there's a lot of cables, battery packs, Lanc controller, camcorder and stuff which needs to be carried around. I did a little bit of footage which you can see here, although you can't get a sense of picture quality as the footage has been compressed.

The fully integrated cameras seem to have improved over the last year, so if I was buying again I'd go for something like this if I could get the extra cash together.
ski holidays
rob@rar, can't get the link to your video to work, does it take a while to download? My broadband only runs at 0.5mb (keep meaning to get virgin to run their fibre optic in as I'm paying the same for their phoneline upto 8mb). Embarassed
snow report
midgetbiker wrote:
rob@rar, can't get the link to your video to work, does it take a while to download? My broadband only runs at 0.5mb (keep meaning to get virgin to run their fibre optic in as I'm paying the same for their phoneline upto 8mb). Embarassed

It is the download time, it's justed started.
snow conditions
ok the mrs aint liking the price tag of 199.99 of the sports cam one, so has anyone had any use of one of these or know of anyone?
Thanks

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Oregon-Scientific-Waterproof-Recorder-1-5-Inch/dp/B001A1O59U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1236205458&sr=1-1&tag=amz07b-21
snow report
I've never tried one of these out myself, but i spoke to several people who were using the oregon scientific cameras this year in Cham, most of them were quite happy with the results, and there is the bonus that there are no wires.

i didnt speak to anyone with the newest version, like the one you link to, but i can only see having a preview screen as being a benefit.
snow report
I too cannot speak from experience but i've not really heard anything good about the all in one cameras. From i've heard and seen from some clips, quality appears to be pretty poor. Then again that was the older versions. Here's a video of some of my footage from the summer. http://www.pinkbike.com/video/37301/ The raw footage is better quality due to the compression when uploading to the net but it's not hugely different.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy