Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val D'Isere - Alpine Experience vs TDC vs ESF

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello all,

I thought I would see if I could rob some of your knowledge and get some recommendations. We are heading to Val D'Isere this weekend and are looking at guiding and instructor options. We are looking for a group of 8.

The first group of 4 are second week skiers and will be going to school everyday, having looked at the options and recommendations on here, that seems to be narrowed down to ESF vs TDC - the TDC is highly recommended but would appear to be quite a bit more expensive. Is it worth the difference?

The second group - we are strong on piste skiers and improviing off piste. On our last two trips we have got a combined guide and instructor and are looking for similar on this trip. Our main aim is to improve our technique, be pushed to improve and to be guided to the best snow. Again having looked at the forums here the two options would seem to be TDC vs Alpine Experience. Does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've skied with Alpine and the ESF. ESF instructors can be variable, it is a big ski school, but for off piste teaching I think they can be very good. Alpine are stronger on the guiding side although if Henry and Andreas are with them they are both ski instructors with strong off piste knowledge. TJ was their master instructor but I don't know if he is back after a serious accident.

I would probably favour an Alpine instructor for a more anglo-saxon approach but if you are in a public group remember that most Alpine clients can already ski very well off piste and are more focussed on the guiding expertise.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would probably throw Mountain Masters into the mix too
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dublinfella, two of us used TDC for a private lesson this year. Basically did a general bumps and powder clinic and have to say it was expensive but was worth every cent.
The tuition was spot on, felt like I'd turned a real corner in skiing the deep stuff.

Highly recommended
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dublinfella,
For the second week skiers you may find that the ESF has somewhat large classes. Ther are some resorts where the ESF have modest sized classes what I have seen of the groups Val d'Isere is not one of them.
I have not been with Val D'Isere ESF off piste anddavidof, 's recommendations are usually excellent in resorts where i have been off pIste with the ESF it has been in smaller classes and often with very good and sometimes UIAGM qualified instructors.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
For the straight instruction, I agree about the class size of ESF, in Val as often elsewhere. There are some top-rate ESF instructors, but the standard is very variable. I would try Evolution2 or Oxygene first. I am not sure that TDC is good value (I mean in money terms) for near beginners - though somebody with direct experience might suggest otherwise. For the guiding with instruction, the Alpine Experience guys are great. davidof, is right, as ever, about which ones to go for in your circumstances. I would suggest TJ if you can get him; I skied with him one day last April after he returned from convalescence and I am pretty sure he is back this year. He was avalanched at the end of 2007 season which put him out of action for most of last season; read his account on the Alpine website to see what a professional he is. Note also davidof, 's comment about the typical Alpine clientele, so private lessons might suit you best - at least you can split the cost four ways!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dublinfella,

Have you thought about private lessons for the 4 intermediates? Should be about €150/3hr session with ESF which is about the same cost as group lessons.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hey Guys,

Thanks very much indeed, brilliant advice one and all. Will definitely looking at the private lessons for the intermediates. As for ourselves, definitely wary of slowing down/annoying/over reaching in another group. Already had the joys of trying to keep up with 3 French pros, testing for Salomon, and two German machines whilst in Argentina. Still though, at least we managed to beat the 67 year old Argentine, well most of the time anyway! I think we will have a chat with Alpine when we get in and see what and who is available and work for there. Thanks very much again, great to the advice from those in the know. Cheers one and all
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bass and ultimate are both more consistent & smaller classes than esf - while also cheaper than mmasters, tdc or evo. aj xx
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy