Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone in Montgenevre next week?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Like one of the other threads; anyone got any happy hour tips?????

I'll try and send interim reports on snow and social.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How did the trip go?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
yes love to know how you got on
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I promise an update later. Welcome to snowheads Go Montgenevre, fancy seeing you here!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Have a great time let us know how the slopes are holding up. We don't arrive until the 11th. Any tips gratefully received
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Been back a week now, sorry for delay, maybe the snow condition update might be out of date.

The trip was for three guys flying out on Monday morning and flying home late Friday.

The ryanair flight to Turin departed Stansted on time, was mostly full of mature Chelsea fans en route to Juventus, and landed a little late due to high winds at Turing preventing landing for 30 mins. After a bit of circling we landed one wheel at a time, but I've certainly had worse. We packed our boots in the hold luggage, and I didn't see one boot bag in the cabin, guess those days are over. Bags arrived on the carousel at the same time that we did ( alwyas seems the way at Turin, very quick. Had a brief chat with David Pleat who was there to do some punditry I guess, he said they always use budget airlines for appearances sake, the Beeb prefer it if the staff don't appear to be squandering licence payers money, nice eh? Pleat was suprisingly small and slightly ruddy.

The accomodation and transfer part of the holiday was organised through Go Montgenevre, they arranged a flat that could sleep six close friends and agreed to collect us for a very reasonable price. I would say that the cost of transfer was on a par with hiring a Focus through holiday autos for five days, but I reckon far easier as hopefully will become clear below.

Upon clearing customs we were met by a smiley Julie, one of the directors of Go Montgenevre, after brief introductions we were straight to her comfy 4x4 jap import people carrier thingy parked nearby and we were on our way. The journey gave us a chance to ask burning questions about prices of beer in resort and........well that was it really we've been Montgenevre before. Julie took care of tolls etc and its no exageration to ay that we could have been skiing by 12.15.

Julie took us to our apartment in Le Renardiere where we got changed and headed out. This aprtment is a short walk from the snow in a couple of directions. We opted for lunch and headed to Le Graal on Route D'italie just opposite the hub of the lifts at resort level. Chips and huge cheese and bacon burgers were downed (10 euros 50) washed down with meteor blonde (4.50 for a pint) a hoppy lager not unlike 1664.

So out of there to Astier sport next door where we had pre arranged skis through snow rental. Euros 46 for five days hire of skis (second from top level of equipment) I felt the selection was sparse and felt like we were making do with what we ended up with, maybe we could have spent more but these blokes trips ought not break the bank or we might not be allowed out again Laughing

Within ten minutes we were on our way to the ski pass office where we purchased three hours pass for Montgenevre only and a four day pass which commenced the next day for monts de lune, this covers Montgenevre and Claviere. The credit card bill says this cost £133 all together.

So off we go, I'm rubbish at remembering run names so sorry if any readers are anoraks. It was very windy for a couple of days and the windchill felt quite extreme, most lifts seemed to stay open tho but it was a bit gnarly up top.

At Montgenevre you can ski both sides of the valley and it was possible to ski within 20m of the apartment using the south facing slopes, there is a new six person lift there too. So when we were done we dumped the skis in the locker and straight out in ski gear for happy hours. the best deals seemed to be at Rois Mages; between 4 and 5pm pints of kronenburg were 4 euros and between 5 and 6pm you could get a pitcher (about two and three quarter pints) for 6 euros for normal kronenburg and 8 euros for 1664. 5pm became known as 'jug o'clock'.

That was about the format for early evening all week.

Evening meals were as follows: two nights in Le Capitaine, a pizza place at the Obelisk end of town, I would say booking essential (shut Tuesdays). Great pizzas (8 euros)and friendly staff. Litre carafes of house wine for 10 euros seemed acceptable by that time of night. One night in Charlie pizza, bit of a laugh here; Transport cafe pizza joint, beer in cans and no glasses. Pizza chef looked like Steven Segal and spoke hardly any English (my French is quite good so no probs), we got there just before a load of Brit resort workers. Segal guesstimated the bill at 35euros which we were happy with, this was one of those night where you realise its ten oclock and you are still in your ski gear....priceless. Oh yeah and it snowed 6 inches too. One meal in Cesar restaurant, near to charlie pizza. tartiflette and great salads litres of wine and two free grappa drinks at the end.

After dinner we finished up at Le Graal mainly to watch the footy. They do a continental range of beers up to the 6.50 mark, also a real ale type beer called Alpeshand which was bloody lovely but 6.25 a pint.

So after the six inches of snow we awoke to blue skies and plenty of fresh snow, not all pistes got groomed which suited us. We made daily trips over Rocher de l'aigle to claviere. Superb hot wine at the sport bar at the bottom and super pizzas on the terrace at sangalonga hotel. Most days we had lunch in the apartment cos the wine and beer were free and the bagettes to our own spec.

On the last night we were lucky enough to keep the apartment until julie came to collect us in the people carrier thingy and were back at the airport in an hour and fifteen. Definately preferred being collected than hiring car, quicker and hassle free.

So great week. I would recommend go montgenevre for value for money and flexibility, anything seems possible - just ask, enthusiastic people who seem to enjoy their chosen path.

There is tons of snow there to last until the resort shuts on 26th April, gets soft when the suns been on it, but don't we all.

If I've missed anything just ask.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
great report can't wait till next March when i go back there again, first time since 1988!!!!!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
cockerhoop Well I'm sure its change a dramatically since then. Enjoy yourself!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
when i went in 88 the observatoire or gondtrans 4 seat chair lift was new that season
looking forward to trying the new lift thibaud and the long blues
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the review found the info on drinks and food helpful. Will also contact the website about a transfer as we haven't booked that yet. Can't wait to go, 2 weeks on Saturday...yippee
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy