Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

meribel - happy hours???

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Do any of the bars in meribel do happy hours?? I booked the lads ski trip there and with the euro and the economy things are little tighter cash wise for everyone, so how do we get the most out of limited budgets???

If anyone can recommend cheaper bars, or happy hours it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
first port of call should be the cactus right at the Chaudanne, i think happy hour is 5 til 6 but someone will confirm i'm sure!

last time i was there (2007) bottle of wine was 9euro for happy hour and beer was half price
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jacks do one and the taverne as well....
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
thanks guys, much appreciated
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was amused at the "Cactus" happy hour when I popped in there for a coffee one morning in January sometime. First, because the notice about it was only in English (!). Second, because there seemed to be a "happy drink" of the evening (e.g. vin chaud on a Wednesday, but not other days). Third, because their "happy hour bargain" prices were about what they are all the time in less expensive resorts. Can't remember the time, as I was going to be gone by 5 pm.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w not being funny but the cactus has possibly the best/most convenient location in meribel for apres so it's going to be more expensive than a beer in your local!

your right about the clientele though, i dont think i've ever heard a french voice in there Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w, it might be because the British TO Inghams own the Cactus as well as the chalet hotel next door called Les Grangettes. I should imagine 99% of the clientele in the Cactus are probably Inghams guests therefore, because a lot of them nip next door after they've dropped their skis off. I'm sure plenty of them will be more than capable to order a drink in French if they wanted to or needed to, however the staff in the Cactus probably do the menus and notices in English for simplicity I suspect since they know practically everyone in there is British anyway. I don't doubt it that the Happy Hour prices are about the same as they are all the time in less expensive resorts, the thing is they know they can charge more because it's a huge ski area and year after year people want to go skiing there and will keep on going skiing there, and those that go elsewhere will be replaced by new people wanting to try the area for the first time. Either way, they win so........

begsski, I've stayed with Inghams next door in the chalet hotel I mention and must say, the bands at the Cactus are cracking between 5pm and 6pm, you can hear them in the lounge area so you don't even have to go next door (unless you want a drink of course!). I thought the noise might have been annoying but actually it was good you could hear the bands without going next door sometimes. As far as I know it's quite cheap, but I didn't go in there hardly. They do "cheap" baguettes at lunchtime for 4 Euros I think and they are like Subway "Footlongs" too so very good value in that respect compared to elsewhere on the mountain. 4 Euros is not far off what it would cost at home really for something like that.

Try this site-this has got a lot of info about where to go in Meribel. Do a search within Merinet on "Happy Hours".

www.merinet.com

I went into Scotts quite a lot for apres when I was there and it seemed quite reasonable for drinks to me. The Doron upstairs is much bigger though, I suspect the prices are the same because it's owned by the same people AFAIK.

Have a good time! snowHead
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Roger C, indeed it is. Scotts is in a good spot as well if you come off the Doron piste where the escalator is by the Tourist Office. I've not done it with skis so not sure if you can put them outside or not-think you probably can. Last time I dropped them off at the hotel and walked up, took me about 5-10 minutes to walk (obviously took boots off as well!)

I know I could go to other smaller less well known resorts and I don't go to Meribel every time, I've been to a few different resorts now and am in the process of sampling all the big well known ones at the moment, have been to quite a few small resorts in Austria before now. But the thing is with Meribel I always know exactly what I'm getting and I know I'll definitely have a good week away. Very Happy Mind you I do avoid the French holidays though and go in January or March when it's off peak weeks. Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
begsski, 'ere are this is a good link. http://www.merinet.com/dining-and-going-out/m-ribel-food-and-drink.htm

Scroll down to apres ski and that gives you a brief description of a few and hints at the ones that might be a bit pricier.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
thanks everyone, really appreciate your help. I will have a happy hour beer for you!!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy