Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

knee Brace?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I tore my acl back in February last year, but have only just had an arthroscopy to confirm. None of the standard tests including an MRI showed conclusive evidence, my doc thought it torn my meniscus, but was not meant to be! what a bummer! Anyway, im going skiing in March and wasnt sure if i needed to get a knee brace, i have been working hard on my knee since the summer, (I spent 2 months windsurfing in Tenerife!) then i have been playing Tennis with increased intensity (unsupported) untill i had the arthroscopy 2 weeks ago.
I was looking for advice on whether i need a brace or not, and which one is best (been looking at the donjoy playmaker). I have read so many forums and websites with very different opinions and now i am just confused!
Any help is much appreciated.

Mikey
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I love my CTi. From Technology in Motion in Wimbledon. It's great & i use it for dinghy sailing and skiing. Don't know if I really need it or not...i haven't had the ACL reconstructed and I don't get any stability problems but it makes me feel better. So for me it's worth it.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mikeyologi, you'll get plenty of conflicting advice here, too. wink What does the surgeon who did the arthroscopy say?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I can't give any medical advice, just what I've been told by my consultant. I have had my ACL replaced and had my final consultation last week (9 months later). I asked if I should wear a knee brace and he said not to as they can stop your muscles working properly. He did say though that he does recommend them for ruptured ACLs. Prior to my operation I had my ACL missing for 10 years and went skiing a number of times with a knee brace with not too many problems. I don't know the best brace but there is a web site called Knee Guru that might help. Good Luck, i'm trying my new knee out next week! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I read something recently (I'll try and find the link and post it here) it said the knee brace did prevent the muscles operating properly and subsequently not developing properly. On the other hand it said the likelyhood of an injury reoccurence was 2.5 times less with the brace. Maybe the way to go is to build up the muscles carefully without the knee brace but wear the brace when on the snow.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Because my Arthroscopy was pretty recent i haven't yet been in for a follow up appointment (joys of the NHS waiting lists!) which means i don't know how bad my acl tear is yet and havent been given any advice or recommendations! I have been booked in around the date I am going skiing so would have no time to purchase a knee brace after I have seen my surgeon (assuming he recommends one!). I have a limited budget being a skint student so i want the most affordable brace that will do the job, i have looked at the CTi braces, they look good but are out of my price range, for a new one at least anyway. I have also looked at the Donjoy braces, ranging from the higher spec ones (armor and defiance) to the slightly lower spec (playmaker). Another issue is making sure the brace doesnt interfere with my ski boots! would it be worth considering a used one? I found these on eBay : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=390033737378&Category=31467 and http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=130290012755 . or does anyone have one for sale?

Mikey
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mikeyologi, not completely comparable but I dislocated my knee in early november and went skiing in mid-late December without doing any physio. The dislocating meant that my vmo was severally weakened and i tore either some ligaments or tendons in the process.. can never remember which.

I have a knee brace and I used that and I skied fine for three days, obviously I went 70% instead of the usual 110%. After three days it starting twinging though. Since then, I've started doing physio and was shocked to see how weak my knee was.

Essentially what I'm trying to say is I guess is that a brace, I guess, is only ok for short-term non-full load stress.

When you had your athroscopy, did they not fix it?

Have you contemplated cancelling the trip? I'm guessing you're going to the BUSC Main Event?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This is the hinged brace that I have always used and not expensive.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=lp+supports&tag=amz07b-21&index=sports&hvadid=3223256319&ref=pd_sl_4744ar45s7_b

Others cost a lot more and they try to sell you a lot of "science" to go with it. I'm not sure their much better in practice as I believe all braces only have a limited benefit, muscle strength is the most important thing. Good Luck
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ya, I used a brace similar to the first one in that list.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just in case you haven't already seen this ....

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?board=11.0
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for the link DB i have posted on there and done a bit of reading.
@Timmaah: i didnt have any repairs done in the arthroscopy because my cartilage is in tact and i will need probably need a reconstruction on my acl at some point. I was considering cancelling the trip (its not BUSC, wish it was though, that event kicks ass! was there 2 years ago.) but I will probably miss next year on the snow if i have a reconstruction, because knowing the NHS i will have to wait 6 months for the op and then 6-9 months recovery. Season over! I am a pretty confident skier (about 15 weeks) and can get down pretty much anything so its not like i should be falling a lot, but might need a safeguard or extra support for if my knee struggles.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mikey, I have done both my ACLs but only had one rebuilt. Reconstruction is not always the answer. It is a very violent and painful operation and a long road back. If you really build your quads up you can do most things including skiing. I wear Vulkan hinged braces and have had no problems.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I use this one for skiing after 2 MCL injuries. From talking to physios it's the biomechanical feedback that does the job i.e. you feel the pressure before you reach the point of injury and therefore muscles compensate. Mine is older though... alloy bar model. The hi-wicking material is very comfy to wear... I've even used it for summer mountain biking.

What is the Mueller Hg80 Knee Brace with Kevlar?
Ultra comfortable hinge free knee brace with closed kneecap. Features flexible steel springs that provide support for cartilage injuries, mild arthritis and collateral knee ligament injuries.

When can I use it?
Ideal for the stiff, weak or painful knee.
Provides support for medial and lateral knee ligament and cartilage injuries, as well as the knee arthritis.
Which size do I need?
Fits left or right knee.

Measure around the centre of the knee. If measurements indicate two different sizes, then choose the larger size.

Small 30-35cm (12-14")
Medium 35-40cm (14-16")
Large 40-45cm (16-18")
X-Large 45-50cm (18-20")
How does it work?
The flexible steel springs offer support and the stabilising double upper Velcro straps provide a customised fit for total support and comfort. Its unique non slip strips prevent unwanted movement of the knee brace.

This knee brace is completely neoprene free and has no raised seams and the inner lining is made of moisture wicking Hydracinn™ fabric. This means your brace doesn't get hot, sweaty and uncomfortable during sports.

The flexible steel springs and stabilising patella buttress also have Kevlar protection for extra durability and the inner lining is completely free of neoprene and latex.

It has an anti-microbial coating which prevents bacterial growth. This means your knee brace won't end up like the smelly one in the bottom of your rucksack, no matter how many times you use it.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I always wear a CTi brace on my ACL-reconstructed knee. I don't think it interferes with my muscles in any way whatsoever and. for me, the confidence benefit it gives far outweighs the cost of buying it.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I would get a brace if you are 100% definately going skiing. Take a load of zinc tape too so you can pimp it if needs be. Get professional medical advice, forums don't count. You are young, get this sorted properly even if it means not skiing. It could ruin the rest of your skiing life if you're not careful! Good luck with it, hope it all works out for you.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy