Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommendations for a Soft Shell

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Im looking for a new soft shell - something thats lighter than my current Eider jacket and could cope with March/ spring conditions ie not as cold as Jan -
Can anyone make me a recommendation - im just a little nervous of heading off for a days sking in just a soft shell ! am I being paranoid?
Your recommendations would be greatly received
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
marksovereign,

I have a £25 Aldi soft jacket, And in the sort of conditions you're talking about, I have never worn more that my base layer and a t-shirt, and never ever felt cold. I do carry a micro fleece in my back pack though just in case. Only ever used in January but it was never that cold..

So you should be OK, especially if you some really performing stuff...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I skied most days on my last trip in jan in a soft shell with a base layer underneath..and I had to open the vents a few times as too warm..its far closer fitting then my hard shell jacket so warmer...just not ideal for very snowy and wet days..
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
marksovereign, my husband has a Dare2Be softshell bought at the Ski Show for about £35 - worn in Samoens in January when it was dry and sunny, but cold, and at the match on many cold Saturdays. Never complained of feeling cold and generally very happy with it
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have an Arcteryx soft shell, which was fine in very cold Jan conditions with 3 thin layers underneath. This is uninsulated. There seem 2 types of soft shell.

1. just shells, thin, no insulation - this is what my Arcteryx does.
2. thicker shells with some warming properties, I'm on the lookout for something like this for day to day use in the UK. I have a Mountain Equipment windstopper fleece I currently use in this role. I have skied in March/April in this, even in light snow it was fine.

Cheers,

Greg
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I bought a regatta soft shell for about £25. I've not skied in it, but I use it for walking a lot and would expect that to be fine for skiing. A lot depends on how much you want to spend.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I got a Montane Extreme Jacket for this winter and what with it having been so cold since November have worn it for everything for the last 4 months now. I have skied in it from -15 to +8 so far with a long sleeve thermal underneath and it is always comfortable. I got mine off ebay for around 70 quid. The only downside is it doesn't really have any pockets. I haven't skied in the rain but have been out walking in the rain and it does OK. Skiing in wet snowfall was certainly not a problem.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy