Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Should European resorts employ 'ski ambassadors'?

Poster: A snowHead
This article in The Steamboat Pilot, Colorado - Ski area ambassadors tackle range of tasks with a smile - focuses on the role of volunteer 'ambassadors' on the slopes to show people around etc. Cairngorm in Scotland took up this idea a while ago. I've never been aware of Alpine resorts trying it, but presumably the concept is not unknown in cowbell country. Obviously the communication challenge is greater in a resort that attracts visitors with a multitude of languages than English-speaking ski areas.

Quote:
Ambassadors work 17 full-day shifts during ski season, amounting to one day a week, in return for a season ski pass. Of the ski area’s 116 ambassadors for the current season, 15 are full-time seasonal employees, and the remaining 101 are volunteers, Circle [guest services manager, Steamboat] said.

“We’ve got Ph.D.s, doctors, lawyers, pilots. Most of the folks are retired — retired young,” Circle said.

The article emphasises that Steamboat has 116 ski ambassadors, which is a big number. The resort must have a substantial embassy.

Have you ever been approached on a ski run by someone with a tray of Ferrero Rocher*? Do you have any views about ski ambassadors, or would you rather have a nice day without them?

-----
* Wikipedia: "Ferrero Rocher is a spherical chocolate sweet made by Italian chocolatier Ferrero SpA. The sweets consist of a whole roasted hazelnut encased in a thin wafer shell filled with nutella/hazelnut cream and covered in milk chocolate and chopped hazelnuts and walnuts ... It was promoted to a down-market audience as an aspirational brand by means of an Italian advertisement dubbed in English showing an ambassador's butler offering a huge piled plate of the sweets to the guests at an embassy party. "
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
yes - if only how to teach the frenchies how to

a) Fill up a 6 seater lift chair, when the queue is 10 minutes plus.

b) slow down when coming into a 'slow-down' / end of piste area

c) Not to stand in the middle of the piste when waiting for mates / trying to decide where to go...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think most Euro-skiers get self-sufficient pretty quickly and don't need to be shepherded around.

Although the best bet of Resort PR recently I came across was when some Piste Patrollers came across to our pitch and told us to avoid the frozen lake which looked just like a snow covered depression at first. We then let them go first and they therefore poached our lines. Laughing Laughing Laughing
but as the info was very pertinent, thats allowed, in my book. Cool

If it is provided as a service, then fine, but personally wouldn't want it as an overhead. The Yanks, would of course, do this very well...pay them nothing and let them have the tips... Not got as problem as such with that, just that I wouldn't use it, I doubt.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I think most Euro-skiers get self-sufficient pretty quickly and don't need to be shepherded around.

Not sure about that. Many people seem to enjoy the "ski-guiding" offered by some TOs (I certainly have, in the past) and the SCGB in-resort representatives. If I went to one of the US resorts which provides "ambassadors" I'd certainly give it a go - somebody with a lot of local knowledge, not only about the pistes but also about the resort and area in general would be very interesting company for a day. And to judge by the number of people who ask for resort information on Snowheads, I'm not alone in thinking all this.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes, I think it's a good idea particularly for those graduating up the slopes and perhaps a a bit nervous or overwhelmed by it all - have seen them in Mammoth and they did a great job, for me they were useful when I misread the piste map late in the day and was rushing to catch a lift before it closed to get far enough up the mountain to get down to the area I needed to be in. They also appeared to monitoring safety in certain areas of the mountain, another useful role for them.

I'm not sure if they're employed or are volunteers (free lift passes and all the rest of it notwithstanding).

In fact this is one area where Scotland, or at least Cairngorm, are surprisingly ahead of the game in Europe - they have about 10 ambassadors IIRC who are on the slopes at various times. They are all volunteers and are often seen around chatting to and helping families and novices as well as taking groups around the mountain to show them where the best runs and snow are, which is particularly useful for people who have never skied the area before.

Feather in the cap for Cairngorm I feel! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
They do it in Chamonix now. It's a voluntary thing where, as I recall, you get your lift pass free and in exchange you do one day a week days ambassadoring. I've seen them at the Flegere base, nowhere else though I may just not have been looking. I wasn't convinced that it was really working myself. The US ones I've found can be a bit pushy, but the people I saw in Chamonix were not doing anything at all as far as I could see! I think a happy medium could do with being found.

You'd be living in Chamonix anyway, so you'd get your pass for about 520 euros, Over the 20 week season this means you're getting 26 euros a day so it's not that attractive an option. I think if they said 10 or 12 days they might get more takers. Also, although they provide a uniform, it's not an immediately obvious one - just a CMB jacket.

This is quite probably why I'm under the impression that nothing is really happening, but if I can't tell who is supposed to be a ambassador once they're out and about, I'm not sure how anyone else is supposed to. The ambassadors themselves probably don't care, they're supposed to be up there skiing about so that's what they are doing.

The answer, of course, is giant marmot outfits.
*composes letter to Compagnie du Mont-Blanc
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There is a super pretty one at the Brevent.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
*adds info to chalet guide
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The Ambassador program is a great thing. A friend of mine does it at Sugarloaf in Maine. It's a great way for locals to show tourist the mountain and is a cheap way for resorts to make for a better ski experience for everyone.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
There is a super pretty one at the Brevent.

but paradiski has the prettiest lifties...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Not sure about that. Many people seem to enjoy the "ski-guiding" offered by some TOs (I certainly have, in the past) and the SCGB in-resort representatives.

Exactly!!! Reality being, it's hugely popular, in N. America or Europe (in the form of ski reps)!

It's definitely a good idea. But whether it would work in the European country or not is a different matter.

pam w wrote:
If I went to one of the US resorts which provides "ambassadors" I'd certainly give it a go - somebody with a lot of local knowledge, not only about the pistes but also about the resort and area in general would be very interesting company for a day. And to judge by the number of people who ask for resort information on Snowheads, I'm not alone in thinking all this.

In many resorts in Colorado and Utah (possibly other NA resorts too), there're indeed free "ski guides" whose task is to show the peep layout of the resort and how best to get around it (including what time a connector lift closes so you don't get stuck at the wrong side of the resort needing to queue for a bus back to your car/condo). They would meet guests in the morning (or sometimes early afternoon) to ski mostly intermediate runs while pointing out possible runs for the more advanced skiers. I would often take such a tour on the first day of my stay. That helps me to orient myself the rest of my stay while I try to push myself a bit more on my own. They're also quite good source of random information such as which lift tend to have less crowd at what hour of the day etc. Smile
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We've used "ambassadors" (ski hosts) in Canadian resorts and they do a brilliant job of showing new visitors what the area has to offer - sometimes it's not that obvious from the piste where the best runs are, or where you'll find freshies after everything else is tracked out. Indeed, many of our Canadian friends we met through their ski hosting activities.

But French resorts would never do it: the ESF would tell then it's their job.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
firebug. The ambassadors in Chamonix are in all the areas, they have to do 17 days to get a free all areas pass. Generally they hang around at the bottom lift station for a couple of hours first thing advising on passes etc. then after a free lunch, ski around in the afternoon (not very visible).

They really come into there own when things go pear shaped. If one of the lifts is closed due to wind or avalanche danger they are able to provide a lot of help to skiers on alternatives that are open and likely reopening times etc. I think the project has been a success for the lift company cost only the admin plus the price of a jacket, and maybe a slight loss of income, and benefited from improved level of service and lots of extra pairs of hands when things go a bit wrong.

Talking to one of the ambassadors, she said she had really enjoyed doing it, saved 700 euro on a pass and got an insiders view of the operation.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jbob, oh well that's good! I liked the idea, and I'm glad to hear it's working Smile
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
North Americans tend to be better at that sort of thing.

I see the ski guide ambassador being different to the lift queue organisers.
ski holidays
We have them here in St Gervais and Megeve too - moreso in Megeve I think. Don't know quite how it works here as have more than enough time to find things out myself. It's reasonably well advertised at the local TIC and at the lifts in Megeve.
snow conditions
Annie, if I come to Megeve I think I'll ask you to be my guide. Or Combloux/La Giettaz, maybe. wink
snow conditions
pam w, Anytime ma'am Laughing Safe journey back by the way - this week sometime?
latest report
Fine if it's really free, but that would need people to give up their time for nothing and I don't know if that would happen in Eur. I can't see it appealing much to the average French ski resort dweller, but I may be wrong.
BTW, at the risk of being a pedantic git, they're not really ambassadors at all, are they? If they were they'd come to UK and hand out free lift passes, not stay at home showing people around. The Brit ambo to USA doesn't spend his time in London giving guided to Yanks (does he?).
ski holidays
richmond wrote:

BTW, at the risk of being a pedantic git, they're not really ambassadors at all, are they? If they were they'd come to UK and hand out free lift passes, not stay at home showing people around.

Not according to teh dictionary. There is the meaning covering high level diplomatic officials, but the ine each of the dictionaries I look at, there is also something along the lines of:
4. an authorized messenger or representative.
snow report
Talked to a 'GÄSTE-INFO' lady on the slopes in Kitz this year. The weather was quite poor (wind, low cloud, light snow) so her advice was useful.
latest report
Cairngorm up here in sunny scotland do this as well. Usefull when the queues for the drag lifts are 4 deep.
ski holidays
Alex_heney, yes, but 'ambassador' carries with it at least an implication of going forth to represent something or someone, not staying at home to do so; the word is redundant otherwise.. The words 'guide' and 'rep(resentative)' are already taken in a skiing context. In N.America they are often called 'ski hosts' which is a bit better, although I seem to remember buying a beer for the one we used rather than vv.
ski holidays
Ski Host service in Fernie is great. Twice a day, free of charge, really nice people.
snow conditions
In Panorama they had the 'Friends of Panorama' as a free service, they got free season passes on the understanding they would be available 2 days a week to show people round. They went out twice a day and you just went and stood next to the sign with the colour runs you wanted to do that session, then they organised how many there would be in a group and off you went. I loved it, my husband hated it lol
snow report
I did my first full week of skiing in courchevel and can say this would have been very helpful

I spent some time staring at the piste map planning routes etc and on a few occasions just asked people who I could hear speaking english for help/advice!
snow conditions
I remember them well from when I skied in Steamboat - very helpful folks. Usually would approach anyone looking at a Piste Map and ask if they needed help, were lost etc. Full of knowledge about the sights and quick to report reckless skiers.

I think they would be great over here.

As an observation, we had six years when we went to the US and always remarked about how friendly and civilised it all was. When I returned to France, they seemed IMV to have started to adopt many of these practices - possibly as they were losing British market to US?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy