Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I'm back!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
From a great week in Fernie, well it was great until the last day as it rained. Mad

I'm definately going back to Canada next year though, I'm looking at Banff. snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yup. That was my experience of Fernie - a great place until it rained. Been to Canada for skiing just that once. Not sure it’s worth the effort of crossing the pond for skiing again. Been sounding out opinion over at the SCGB forum. Be interested to hear what snowheads think, too.
I have absolutely no doubt there is great skiing to be had over there (I remember a great run through powder in trees). But the highest part of Canadian resorts is low. It can - and does - rain. There is the hassle of North American security, a long transatlantic flight - and jet lag to cope with when one returns.
On the plus side, skiing can be very good, and Canadian hospitality was fantastic.
One NI Club member said that for him the transport hassle was not much greater, because he had to make overnight stops anyway when travelling to the Alps.
I am committed to Europe this season - but am a bit torn over what to do for the future.
How worthwhile do you think going to Canada is?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I didn't feel Canadian security/immigration was a hassle, it was quite quick & smooth - that was at Calgary. The stories I hear about US immigration & security do put me off.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If I had the money, then it would be North america everytime - th eonly downside for me is that due tothe long flights etc you need to go for two weeks, which inevitably increases the price

the vast improvements in customers service thought far outweigh anything I've found in France

having said that, we did have hassle at Calgary - make sure you pick up your own bags and take them through yourself, don;'t pile all the group's luggage onto shared trolleys
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I went to Fernie around 4 years ago and had a great time. It was their worst season in 80 years rolling eyes but we still got some fresh powder and did some great cat skiing. I would definitely go back.

Also skied Whistler and that was great but they definitely get a fair bit of rain (in the village at least).

I love North American skiing and ideally would have a trip there every year (as well as 1 or 2 to Europe). I think the only negative is the long flight(s).
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Nick Zotov,

I have never experienced rain in Banff/Lake Louise (max. elevation about 9,000ft) , in the 6 years I've been going. (Fernie, by contrast is notoriously susceptible to rain: but otoh, it's also notoriously prone to powder).

I agree that it's not worth going unless you go for 2 weeks, but if you compare prices from TO's, this isn't very different from 1-week packages in Europe (although most Canadian packages are hotel-only, and eating can push up the cost). However, the Canadian $ is at a very favourable exchange rate. Hotel rooms are bigger, service is exceptional and lift lines - if they exist - are well organised and civilised. I now hardly ever ski in Europe. Wherever you go, you're going to spend the best part of a day travelling, so why not go a long way?

Heathrow-Calgary takes about 9 hours. Security/immigration isn't too bad in Calgary, except when two or three flights arrive at the same time. Immigration lines are nothing like those in the US, and because most flights are direct (Montreal for Quebec, Calgary for Banff/LL, Vancouver for Whistler) you don't have the hassle of clearing immigration and customs in a hub airport, while the clock is ticking down on your connection time.

My worst experience of arriving in Calgary was during the Foot & Mouth outbreak in the UK, when we were asked to remove all footwaer from bags and get it decontaminated. My experience is that the trip makes it a long day's travelling, but that when you arrive (usually late afternoon/early evening, with the time difference) you can get your head down early and you're awake bright and early for the first ski bus.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My bruv and I are off to Fernie in Feb. It's our first time skiing in North America but we were surprised at how comparable the prices were with Europe. Once we’d decided to go, we had been expecting to pay about double to what we’ve paid for our European trips – but it was only about £100 more. However, we have only decided to go for 1 week, which I guess makes a big difference. I was a bit dubious about it at first as I’d always thought it would be best to go for two weeks, but when we looked at it, you get the same time skiing as you do with a week in Europe. It just takes a bit longer to get back. Jetlag isn’t a problem going over, just coming back. I suppose it also makes a difference if you’re like me and have no trouble with long haul flights. I think if I did, then I would have considered two weeks.

It looks pretty rough in Fernie at the moment. I feel really sorry for people over there now.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
An hour ago, I booked up to go to Canada again, this time to Banff, so that sums up what I think of Canada! snowHead

One difference though, I've paid for the flight upgrade, I never want to be cramped up in the normal seats again. Mad
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Skiing in Canada is a doddle. I've done it for the last 8 years, 6 of them with kids (from when there were 5). No problem with rain in Banff, LL, Panorama or Jasper; Fernie and Whistler are notorious for it, though.

The pros definitely outweigh the cons.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Pete Horn wrote:
I didn't feel Canadian security/immigration was a hassle, it was quite quick & smooth - that was at Calgary. The stories I hear about US immigration & security do put me off.

Pleased to see that, Pete. The time I went, it wasn't too bad going through normal security entry airside, but then there was a second check of passports and boarding cards. Just one guy checking a full 747 load - until eventually a second checker showed up. I had an ankle injury - so I guess that made me even more irritable. From what you and others have said, that may have been a one-off.

Interesting thread. Thanks every body for your comment - and to RichardB for kicking things off. Looks like if you want to have a reasonable guarantee of not having rain, avoid Fernie and Whistler. OTOH Fernie has a reputation for good powder - and it has the best skiing accommodation I have ever been in. Decisions decisions. Still I've got to next season to make them.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Anyone been to Kicking Horse?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We skied in Lake Louise last year towards the end of March (10 days). I thought the check-in/immigration was fine - very quick, and the journey not as bad as I'd anticipated - though very tiring.

BUT - I know this is going against everything one hears (and apologies toNick Zotov, ) but I just didn't think it was all worth the effort and I couldn't work out what all the fuss was about skiing in North America.

The first couple of days we nearly got dehydrated because we couldn't believe there was nowhere to get refreshments on the mountain and kept looking (we're a bit slow!) Where are the lovely little piste side bars full of people and warm fug that you get in Europe? Let's face it, the restaurants are c**p. Self service chips and burghers (though very cheap!)

And then the snow was not great - (granted, it was exceptionally warm,) so we had ice in the morning and water skiing in the afternoon. That left a 2 hour window at lunchtime when we had OK conditions. I didn't particularly like the wide open pistes that I'd heard so much about. It gave all the nutters the opportunity to launch themselves at you from 90 degrees as a 'tributary' piste was reached. And the pistes themselves are limited in interest. Just up and down really. I think it's probably better for 'back woods' and off-piste skiing, but the conditions wheren't right for that.

On the plus side, the scenary was stunning and the people really friendly; so lift queues etc (where they existed) were not a trial. We hired a car and toured round a little of the area, which was great and something that we never do in Europe.

Has anyone tried Kicking Horse? - fantastic, challenging (a bit too much so for me) skiing. But again - that's it.

So I suppose it depends what you want out of a skiing hol. I want everything. The bars/restaurants/apres ski/somewhere where there's a buzz as well as great skiing and scenary. I can't say I experienced all that in Lake Louise - it has atmosphere but not the 'traditional alpine' kind. It made me realise how much we take European resorts for granted - though I know many of them could improve.

And all the Canadians/Americans we met wanted to come here to ski!!

I think the moral is 'each to his own' but when there is so much better skiing practically on our doorstep, it could be a while before we go all that way again.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
alan empty, what a coincidence - our posts must have crossed!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I trtied Kicking horse. Wasn;t really overly impressed. As has been mentioned, the gondala needs a midstation as there are only slow lifts at the top, and as it stands you need to come all the way down. we went ins a bad snow year so there hadn;t been much grooming and the moguls were rather large to say the least. With goo snow it wold probably be a whole different story...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
One of the things we noticed were the size of the moguls, but mainly in Lake Louise. They don't seem to piste the runs like they do in Europe, but quite often, you don't find out until your commited!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy