Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Blues and reds in Ischgl

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
lordjohn,
Quote:

T Bar, we go to Ischgl in 2 weeks staying at Alpenrose. What are your own recommendations for runs (red and blue) in the area? I see the old report in the alphabetical list but you may have more current impressions which would be useful. Ave's, do you mean avalanches ?

Yep, Aves are avelanches.
I guess a lot of recommendations would depend on what you enjoy. The other factor is that snow conditions are likely to be quite different from mid Feb- mid March, but a few suggestions.
The vast majority of the runs are good ones , if you enjoy red run skiing few of the blacks are particularly difficult (14a being the main exception that you cannot see easily from the chair and has a pretty steep lower half.)

Runs to resort; these are all very good runs but they do get heavily skied and become very scraped at the end of the day which together with large crowds make them a lot trickier than their red run grading suggest particularly to Ischgl Ost, ski them before lunch when they are freshly prepared and they are great sustained red runs.
The variant through the Velliltal, number 7 on the map is particularly attractive. If conditions low down are not good then take the chair F1 to avoid the bottom half which can get scraped. The blue run from the chair that serves the Velliltal but goes back to Idalp is a good gentle run with usually very good snow to get your skiing legs on but can get busy.
If the light conditions are poor and the snow lower down is good number 3 is tree lined and attractive though you have to take a funny almost flat poma at the end to get back to the midstation.
The skiing from the Ischgl side to Alp Tridia above Samnaun is East facing and has a decent selection of runs that would I imagine be good most mornings in March. The runs served by the N2 &M1 lift above Alp Tridia are pretty much all South facing , they are all straight forward enjoyable and fairly short red runs. To avoid bone hard or slushy pistes in March though timing will be important mid – late morning would I imagine be the best times depending on the strength of the sun.
The runs down into the Fimbatal are more West facing and get the sun in the afternoon thay are good sustained reds particularly from the top of the Palinkopf. The black runs from E2 chair are more NW facing and should be good in the afternoon and are a lot easier than their nominal black rating suggests.

The runs down to Samnaun from the Palinkopf are good and face roughly south east from memory , I would try and do them well before lunch when they get busier with people wanting to lunch in.
Samnaun . They are not a lot of fun in flat light either so wait for a sunny day. There is quite a bit of poling to be done lower down if you don’t know where to Schuss from and a bit towards the lift even if you do. The other marked run to Samnaun from Alp Tridia is also south facing and enjoyable but there is an infrequent bus service back to the lifts from the bottom and is probably one to avoid if you don’t want to hang around.
Generally speaking there are very few poor urns though heavy traffic can mean that the busiest areas can get scraped and packed down the secret is to go for the quieter areas as the day progresses and keep an eye on where the sun is as with slopes facing in virtually every direction you should be able to get good skiing at all times of the day.
Hope you have a great holiday.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
An update on my impressions of resort after 1 week (Mar14-21). Good transfer from Innsbruck after sensational flight approach down the Inn valley in brilliant sun. Absolutely superb weather (occasional snow showers) except for Thursday with prolonged snow in the afternoon; apparently one of the best weeks of the season. Resort facilites excellent with escalators in town and heated seats in Fimba gondola; many and varied runs as others have indicated. Hiring equipment we had best service ever experienced; skis and boots were left at hire shop for convenience and staff located and stowed them each day. Skied Blues throughout week with 6 for warmup and 8 (Idalp). Blue 11 was an excellent longer run and Blues in the 60s (Alp Trida) were also entertaining. Resort and runs were very busy which was a downside for tentative intermediates. Large number of snowboarders and use of helmets was very noticeable. Stayed at Alpenrose which was very basic but does have advantage of proximity to lifts and away from apres-ski areas of the town. Late night noise could be a problem in centre of town.

So an excellent week but probably would not return.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Was also there that week
If you are into reds head for run 40 / 41 first thing as they are empty until about 10:30
Runs 80 / 81 to Samnaun were also very quiet till mid morning
The runs from lifts Q1 and Q4 were quiet after lunch along with the Alp Trida area in the afternoon

We found the skiing excellent with the grading of most runs a bit on the gentle side some of the reds I would say were blue elsewhere though as lordjohn, says the weather was good most of the time and they were harder when the snow came and the visibility went down. ( I don't want to start more discussions about grading slopes though) Very little tree skiing for when the weather is bad though.

The slopes back to the village were OK before about 2:30 and after then best avoided and take a lift down (we did most days)

We stayed at the Albona which was good.
The nearest lift was the Silverettabaln which got busy fairly quickly in the morning as the bus drop off and car parks were fairly close it was best to be there before 8:45
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just got back from Ischgl a few hours ago, enjoyed it more than any resort I've been to. Lifts the best I've seen by a mile, easy to get around the mountain, coped with the Easter crowds easily. As the other poster said get there early if you dont want the rush for the lifts up to Idalp at the start of the day - 8.45 quiet - 9.30 hundreds of people!

Was a bit of a hot one last week - a little icy at first then about 5 hours of good snow after lunch a little slushy and the busier pistes a bit of a mess but better than a week of flat light so no complaints. Runs down to resort - Samnaun or Ischgl a disaster after 11ish

Only blues I would recommend would be the 22 off Palinkopf (good self service restaurant at the bottom too!) or the 63 off Flimjochbahn going over to the Swiss side - all the other blues seemed to be too busy and as a result the pistes got damaged after the first hour or two of the day - of course it might be different if the weather had not been so hot

As for reds dont know where to start - dont think I did one that I didnt enjoy - but as for faves the back run 41 off Palinkopf is away from the crowds and one I'll look forwards to doing again someday (In fact take a red off Palinkopf and you will probably be ginning a lot at the bottom, too hard to pick out others - if you have a few weeks skiing under your belt and fancy a resort with a lot of good reds I cant recommend Ischgl enough

Down side - watch out for the local police mafia, got stung for not having my driving licence whilst on the valley road - they also appeared to be pulling people for pretty much anything provided you didnt have local number plates in which case you could drive at 100 whilst on your mobile Evil or Very Mad

ps the first hut on the left you come to when coming off the motorway serves a mean cheeseburger at about 1/4 the cost you will pay 10 mins later
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy