Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

i love switzerland

Poster: A snowHead
Due to land 08:35 with swiss air, land bang on time. Worried about catching train at airport at 09:20. No need I checked out picked up bags and skis and was waiting for train to zurich main by 08:58. What a country, so simple. Connections will be made and now will be on the slopes at st anton by 12:45. Sweet
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wow, it just get's better. I hope this a prelude for the snow but we just found a great sandwich shop, valentino's on basement level of zurich main station, it hand salami, cheese, frsh pasta, great sandwiches and amazing wines including antinori, caparzo brunello and even cristal 96 at good prices, even with our poor exchange.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
plectrum,

Yep, they do all things travel, very well... they know the value of tourism.

Has been my number 1 ski country destination for the best part of 10 years now.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Agreed, except Geneva Airport is an exception to the rule.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Is an EHIC card valid in Switzerland? I've recently discounted Switzerland as a ski destination option as it's not part of the EU so I'm not sure if my EHIC card is valid...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
queen bodecia, Yes it covers all EU countries plus Switzerland.

I was disappointed to find at half term that the fabled Swiss trains punctuality is not infallible. My train from Zurich Airport to Visp was 30 minutes late and on the way home the train from Zermatt to Visp was about 15 minutes late although they did hold the connection.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
queen bodecia, my understanding is that Switzerland recognizes it, but I'm afraid that I can't quote you chapter and verse. A very quick Google produced this, but you'll probably find better authority somewhere.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
EHIC is valid, but clearly is not a substitute for ski insurance.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cool. I have ski insurance too but I can't get full medical cover on travel insurance at the moment for health reasons, so I'm limited to the EU. Didn't realise that means Switzerland too. Maybe next year... Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
queen bodecia, I respectfully suggest that a few unsubstantiated comments on a chat forum are no substitute for some detailed research, if you are going to rely on this! Shocked Good luck, though.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I would check it out fully never fear. I even got a quote for full travel medical insurance this year; £332!! Sorry, but for the small risk of needing medical treatment in the EU, I'm prepared to take my chances...
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
queen bodecia, Here is the relevant page from the EHIC website. http://www.ehic.org/cover.html
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
queen bodecia, Its worth asking your insurers - I've looked at loads of policies and have often holidayed in Switzerland. I've not found one yet that hasn't included Switzerland in EU insurance cover, rather than requiring that you take the more pricey 'Worldwide' option. Its well worth a 'phone call to check. Also, I'm pretty sure the EHIC is applicable too, but check on that link above. I've always holidayed there on EU cover and been fine. You should also find that your UK car insurance policy includes Switzerland in the green card type EU cover too, again a quick call will confirm.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
plectrum wrote:
i love switzerland

So why are you in Austria?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
P.S. Only winding you up! Have a blast in St Anton, where everything runs like a Swiss clock.
snow conditions
David Goldsmith wrote:
plectrum wrote:
i love switzerland

Good point. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
David Goldsmith, Zurich gateway to get to St A..and I read the OP as being pretty pleased that the travel connections.. (Swiss ) went well..
latest report
Agree re Geneva airport - awful each time I've had the dubious pleaseure of passing through.
latest report
stephen buck wrote:
Agree re Geneva airport - awful each time I've had the dubious pleaseure of passing through.

I've only been through Geneva twice. Both time went quite smoothly. Although I found the signage slightly less clear than Zurich. And the fact the snowheads seem to "disappear" within its confine. wink
David Goldsmith wrote:
plectrum wrote:
i love switzerland

He loves good partying even more, so efficiency be damned?
latest report
Colin B wrote:

As the later link posted shows, not only does it cover the EU plus Switzerland, but also a couple of other non EU countries including (relevant from a skiing perspective), Norway Madeye-Smiley .
snow conditions
Thanks all. And there was me thinking I was limited to France, Italy & Austria. Better have an even longer look through the brochures for next season... Very Happy
latest report
plectrum, I landed at Zurich at 12.55 and was on the 13.17 train connecting to Davos!
ski holidays
Alastair Pink wrote:
Colin B wrote:

As the later link posted shows, not only does it cover the EU plus Switzerland, but also a couple of other non EU countries including (relevant from a skiing perspective), Norway Madeye-Smiley .

IIRC the EEA is the EU plus Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein, hence "EEA plus Switzerland".

I can confirm that our cards from our health insurers here have an EHIC on the back. Suspect our insurance itself covers rather more than the EHIC anyway abroad.
ski holidays
I loved the Swiss Trains, and the scenery is very nice.

But I thought Wengen was much overrated and trading on its history and its piste maintenance was sadly lacking.

Austria in general and Ischgl in particular were much better places to ski. Plus they have DJ Otzi. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
I love... lamp.
snow report
red 27, thats a nice journey too, with nice views on the last 45 minutes up to Davos isn't it ? Did you take the Engdin express train with the tourist announcments ?
ski holidays
Frosty, er... not sure! I was on the RaichleBahn I think - no tourist announcements but all the stations in 3 langauges. My fav bit is Zurich to Lanquart on the double decker scenic train.

As on my Davos trip report the trains in the valley form such a part of the lift system too - ski down to Kublis and then train back to Davos - brilliant. Villars also does a similar thing. try that in Italy Very Happy
ski holidays
Austria, Switzerland, Italy, .......................... Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Smokin Joe,

Me too!
snow report
How do I find out which train has the "tourist" bubble?

I'll be taking the train on my trip end of this month (destination not yet decided, either Laax or St. Moritz). If the schedule allows, it would be nice to get on the one with the tourist amenities. After all, I AM a tourist, whether on the train or on skis. Wink
snow report
It is the Glacier Express you are reffering to I think. The glacier express to St.Moritz defenitely has the panoramic carraige.

Can't help you much more than this.
ski holidays
Christopher wrote:
It is the Glacier Express you are reffering to I think. The glacier express to St.Moritz defenitely has the panoramic carraige.

No. It appears the panoramic carraige isn't limited to just the Glacier Express. Acording to red 17's post about the "Zurich to Lanquart on the double decker scenic train".

Come to think of it, the train I took from Interlaken back to Zurich was also a double decker. And some section (or particular carriges?) have quite big windows...
ski holidays
I like Switzerland two though I only go there in the summer
The only thing you need to remember is if your luggage goes missing its because of something you did wrong as the Swiss don't make mistakes !!!!!!!
snow conditions
Switzerland is indeed an excellent country to travel through on the way to somewhere else.

Quite a few Swiss train services offer double deckers; the Glacier Express has distinctive carriages which presumably give excellent views.

Garfield, yes they are a bit like that. Although the punctuality of the trains is very good (achieved by, very sensibly, not trying to run them too fast), when they are late, information is more or less non existent (or used to be when I used them frequently).
snow conditions
abc, ALL the long distance routes out of Zurich main station seemed to be double decker. I would say don't sweat it too much all the trains are good snowHead
snow report
Quote:

Although the punctuality of the trains is very good (achieved by, very sensibly, not trying to run them too fast), when they are late, information is more or less non existent (or used to be when I used them frequently).

Oh they do. (at least some of the time) Though not neccessarily in English! Shocked

I was once standing on a platform waiting for a train that was suppose to pull in at a certain time. Then there was an announcement, repeated 3 times, presummably in the 3 languages. By then, I recognize the destination part (after the third repeat) and realized it was the train I was waiting for! I had to ask others what the announcement was about though (the train was late). Fortunately everyone seems to speak English (probably better than I did at the time! Embarassed ).

That was a long time ago. Last time I took the train from Zurich to Wengen, the announcement was repeated in 4 languages. English being one of them.
latest report
abc, I'm glad to see that things have improved.
snow report
stephen buck wrote:

Must agree that Geneva on a Saturday is absolutely nuts. Thats why we,ve been going Friday or Sunday the past few years, so much quieter and civilised.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy