Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ski tuning of Base Edges

Poster: A snowHead
all the guides and videos only ever talk about prepping base edges on new skis, what about bashed up skiss that have hit a few rocks.

I am never quite sure what to do with the base edge when tuning. I have heard once set dont touch it unless you are grinding the whole base but what are you meant to do with rock hits and bad scrapes on the bottom edge?

should you file em out completely and have a slight dip in the base edge or just leave them?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You can only ever increase the base edge angle unless you get the bases re-ground. That's the reason for not touching them otherwise. I just take any burrs off the base edge with a stone and leave it until the base needs a grind. I do all the sharpening on the side edges only.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
dont want to change the angles but when i have a very rough/deep gouge in the base when i do the sides only i end up with almost a serrated edge and that doesnt seem right to me...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
skimottaret wrote:
dont want to change the angles but when i have a very rough/deep gouge in the base when i do the sides only i end up with almost a serrated edge and that doesnt seem right to me...

I know what you mean, but there's not much you can do about it unless you are prepared to increase the base angle locally around the gouge. That's not something I've ever attempted as I usually end up with too many gouges, so the base angle would be all over the place. When the edges get really bad I just go for a base grind and start again with a freshly ground base edge. Usually every 4 or 5 weeks use, depending on conditions.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
uktrailmonster, i ended up doing that as well but am still curious what the "recommended" procedure is. do you suffer a rough edge or have a variable base edge Puzzled
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I would imagine the most important things are sharpness and edge angle. So I don't worry about gouges in the base edge until there are enough of them to seriously affect the overall sharpness.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skimottaret, You won't change the base angle by base filing, you would just move the bevel point further in. The bases on all of my skis are at 0.5, I have never noticed any change in the appearance of the bases after filing but they don't feel really sharp if I just do the sides.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rjs wrote:
skimottaret, You won't change the base angle by base filing, you would just move the bevel point further in. The bases on all of my skis are at 0.5, I have never noticed any change in the appearance of the bases after filing but they don't feel really sharp if I just do the sides.

Well you can always increase the base bevel angle by filing, but you can't reduce it without grinding the entire base down.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
uktrailmonster wrote:
Well you can always increase the base bevel angle by filing, but you can't reduce it without grinding the entire base down.

Or you can keep it the same when you file.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
rjs wrote:
uktrailmonster wrote:

Or you can keep it the same when you file.

If you do too much work on the base edge (assuming you can keep at the same angle) then you'll lower the edge relative to the ski base or start cutting in to the base material.

skimottaret, what uktrailmonster says, so yes, you end up with a marked base edge until you grind it. Occasional polishing with a mod/fine diamond stone ain't gonna cause a problem.

If you have your skis ground I'd recommend initially setting a shallow base edge angle (say a 0.5 or a 0.7 instead of a 1). The benefit is that you can tune it if required to a 1 to take out damage etc with no detrement to recreational performance etc. A racer wouldn't necessarily be happy with this as the ski wouldn't engage as quickly but it's fine for most. As race skis tend to be mostly used on decent rock free pistes their base edges stay in a lot better nick for a lot longer.

I'd did a tuning clinic at the Stoke dryslope today & I tuned a pair of very blunt Equipe's whose base edges were pretty batterered but still achieved very sharp edges. I did a couple of passes with an alu-oxide stone to deburr the base edges & then all the rest of the work was on the side edges followed by a hard gummi down the base edge to remove the hanging burr.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
spyderjon wrote:

I'd did a tuning clinic at the Stoke dryslope today

And you did not tell me you was coming over, could have said hello.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dwarf Vader, so bud, never thought.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rjs, spyderjon, do you do the base before the sides on skis that havent just had a base grind?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret, I do on my older skis that I use for course inspection. My race skis are fairly new and still feel sharp enough just using a diamond file on the sides.

I am going to drop off the older ones for a service on Friday, I will see how they feel after this.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rjs, thanks... Jons tuning guide says to do base first but a DVD i have said the opposite. i have been doing bases first, sides and then a deburr which seems to make sense but wasnt too sure.
ski holidays
skimottaret, My theory is that if you do the base first then any hanging burrs that you miss will be pointing downwards and will work for you.
snow report
I do the bases first and only if
1, I'm asked to do them.
2, It's skis I've not done before.
3, It looks like they need it.

Other than that I dont do them or I just use a couple of stones rather then all five.

It depends on how they look, I think over working the base will take life out of the ski's.
snow conditions
I tend to leave the base alone too, just taking out any big dings with an Alu Oxide stone.
snow report
skimottaret, base edge first but like uktrailmonster I tend to leave them other than take off any raised damage with an alu-ox.
snow report
Could any of you highly knowledgable types tell me how/where I can learn to sharpen my edges. I missed spyderjon's tuning talk at the EOSB & don't know where to go to get started on learning a little hands on maintenance. Any instructional vids off youtube or articles off the web would be very much appreciated.
ski holidays
midgetbiker, spyderjon has a DVD
ski holidays
uktrailmonster wrote:
midgetbiker, spyderjon has a DVD

Perfect, how do I get hold of one?
latest report
midgetbiker,
His website http://www.skituning.co.uk/
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy