Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flying to Turin

Poster: A snowHead
Looking at a map the other day, I realised how close Turin is to a number of French ski resorts, in particular Val d'Isere / Tignes, etc.

I was just wondering whether anyone has had any experience of flying there instead of the usual Geneva/Chambery/Lyon options and, if so, what the resort transfers are like.

Many thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There's a specific lift link into the 3 Valleys from a resort which can be readily accessed from Turin, but I've forgotten the name of the place.

I don't think you'll find any scheduled transfers from Turin Airport to French resorts at present. It's not a very busy airport, and even the local Italian resorts are not that easy to access via public transport (but taxis are quite economical if you can fill them).
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You'll need to go through the tunnel (Frejus) which is about €30.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
And €37.40 for a 7 day return ticket, BUT DON'T GET ME STARTED ON THE BLOODY FREJUS TUNNEL
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Paul, it may look close on the map but that doesn't show the Cols which are closed during the winter. There is no way that Turin is easy to reach from Val d'Isere or tignes unless you count driving back past Chambery and taking the aotoroute via the Frejus tunnel as easy. believe me thats about a minimum of 4 hours driving. By comparison, Geneva is a doddle.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Paul Dickson, just sitting here with a Michelin map, which shows roads closed due to snow. The particular routes from Turin to VDI/T are closde from October to JUne!!!!You'd have to go the long way round I'm afriad.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ahh welll.. just a thought! I guessed there was a reason I've never really heard of anyone using it as a ski airport before.

EasyJet are flying there from Luton now so maybe there is scope for further expansion and better transport links if demand allows. That said, there is not too much you can do about increasing the capacity of a tunnel!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Paul, the key reason to fly to Turin is to escape the French resorts! When the Monterosa ski area has good snow it'll blow your socks off, if you're into high-altitude stuff, with great off-piste. And it's only about 90 mins from the airport.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Paul Dickson, lots of people use Turin airport for sliding in Italy...........not many for sliding in France due to the long transfer/drive you need. David@traxvax has some stories of people trying to use Turin and the trying to drive across the San Bernard (-is that the right spelling......probably not) Pass from La Thuile to get to La Rosiere - not a good idea between November - June! You just end up having to turn around and still drive the long way round Laughing Embarassed Laughing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The Milky way area (Sauze D'Oulx, Sestriere, Montgenevre ect...) is allegedly only about an hour and half from Turin.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sauze is just over 1 hour, the others i think are about 30-60 minutes extra.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Paul,
Recently used Turin to get over to Val Cenis !

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=4208

Had an excellent time and it was easy to get to from Turin. Also there are loads of nearby resorts to Val Cenis for which you can get a bargain priced "all resort" pass for! Here are a couple of them: -

http://www.peakretreats.co.uk/default.cfm/loadindex.66

Admittedly easier flying to Geneva for Val D and Tignes but that's the beauty as the resorts the other side of the mountain are still very much undiscovered gems to majority of British skiers! Or you could as already been suggested use Turin to get to the Italian resorts of Sauze d'Oulx/ etc in the Milky Way

Rgds

Rich

p.s Only problem I had at Turin airport was delay in getting my hire car, Hertz (booked through Ryan Air) desk was so slow!!!!! Avis desk next door got all their customers sorted out pronto! For a couple of quid extra I know who I'll be using next!
snow conditions
 brian
brian
David Goldsmith wrote:
There's a specific lift link into the 3 Valleys from a resort which can be readily accessed from Turin, but I've forgotten the name of the place.

Orelle, in the Maurienne valley. It's quite low down (800m -ish) so it's a long gondola and chairlift ride to the ridge over to Val Thorens.

There are quite a few small areas in the Maurienne valley which trade under the name Les Sybelles.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
we did a transfer from Turin to Serre Chevalier last year (by coach) which was about 2 hours. Some friends joined us later and hired a car at Turin - said the transfer for them was easy too.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yep, an hour and a half to two hours get you to Serre Che. and Puy Saint Vincent a further 30 minutes to La Grave, Les Deux Alpes, Alp d'huez, Risoul and Vars.

Take a look at the map here on our site, hover over or click on the little skiers to see the resorts.
ski holidays
I was looking at driving up to Cervinia from Turin- about 2 hours apparently so quite an easy transfer. Cervinia is linked to Zermatt too so the skiing is huge. I'd avoid trying to drive up to Val d'Isere from Turin! BTW if you're M1 based Easyjet flies from Nottingham to Geneva. Just booked it!
snow conditions
I've travelled via Turin many times for Italian and Southern French Alps resorts and, generally, it is pretty convenient. I disagree with one or two of the transfer times quoted (Risoul/Vars are more like four hours), but the rest are fairly accurate.

However, for all Chambery's faults it is still easier to reach the 3V's and other big French resorts from there, and anyone who has experienced the mayhem at Turin on a Sunday morning will agree it makes Chambery look dignified. Okay, I have only had one real delay at Turin (4 hours), and it does not fall into the trap of being partly owned by a UK tour operator with all the issues that brings (unlike Chambery), but I still think flying to the most convenient airport is the best option rather than taking a detour to avoid somewhere like Chambery.

Delays and crap service can (and do) occur anywhere.
ski holidays
Chris Angus wrote:

BTW if you're M1 based Easyjet flies from Nottingham to Geneva. Just booked it!

Sore point for us Leicester folk! East Midlands Airport is not in Nottingham - it is in Leicestershire (with a Derbyshire postcode - odd or what?), and it's re-naming to Nottingham EMA is a source of great irritation to us lot.

Rant over!

Confused
latest report
Hmmm, sorry about that skibandit! I'm at university in Nottingham and it takes all of 20mins to drive there so I would still be a fan if they called it Leicester airport!! Apparently the Nottingham folk get a bit upset about the usurpation of Robin Hood- although I hear that he may actually have been from Sheffield anyway. Very confusing!
snow report
I have also been looking at flying to Turin to access the Three Valleys to meet friends there. I am getting the sense that driving the whole way is too hard...so am considering driving to Orelle (or getting a transfer there from the airport) and then getting the Orelle gondola to Val Thorens to spend a few days there. Is this feasible? I have spent the last half hour searching for more info about the Orelle gondola...is there any skiing involved to transfer to Val Thorens or can you use it purely as a form of transport?? Any info on this would be much appreciated...
snow report
Welcome to snowHeads, Amy snowHead

The gondola at Orelle takes you half way up the valley and then there is a chairlift (Rosael) which takes you to the top of the ridge separating Orelle from Val Thorens. It's a short walk to the Grand Fond cable car which takes you towards Val Thorens but as far as I recall that leaves you sort of half way up the mountain...so ski=ing is involved in the transfer to Val Thorens.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy