Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kneisel skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone heard of them/skied on them/got any information about them?

I skied a pair the last couple of weeks, and loved them! Came home, ready to google away and potentially buy a pair..but nothing! Cannot find any info at all on the web, no stockists, no reviews...

Anyone able to help?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://www.kneissl.com/en/home/
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
swisssnowbunny, made in Kufstein near Soll - so Tyroleans swear by them. I think the company actually went bust a couple of years ago and the present incarnation is owned by an off-shoot of Adidas...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
DB, thank you SO much, that was just what I was looking for.

red 27, interesting, I heard they were owned by Volkl. Anyone know?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
swisssnowbunny, which kneissls were you on? I was just about to mount up a pair of Black Stars for club racing and was debating which plate to use.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Black stars it was! I loved them! Although I borrowed a pair of the red stars one day, didn't like them as much. The black stars were awesome on and off piste, my only concern holding me back is how they would perform on icy terrain-luckily it was deep powder whilst I was there. Any ideas? I don't know much about attaching bindings etc I'm afraid though.

Also, anyone know if there is anywhere in the UK/Switzerland that sells them? The only stores on the website are in Austria.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
swisssnowbunny, no idea on UK stockists, I'm on remaindered US stock.

The Black Stars should be just fine on icy terrain, though I would pick the Black Star XC over the SM if you're not going over 30-35mph on a regular basis.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
comprex, where in the US did you find them? I'm hopefully heading out to Colorado/Wyoming this year, so a US stockist may work for me. Good to know about the ice though. I'm not an especially quick skier, no idea about the mph-last speed test I think I only achieved about 70km/h so unlikely to be over 35mph on a regular basis I'd guess. Will check out the XCs.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

1861 The company Kneissl is founded as a „wooden carriage workshop“

1919 – 1921 Franz Kneissl I. started first serial production of alpine skis in Austria. Kneissl ski becomes a registered trademark

1932 Renamed to “First Austrian ski factory”

1936 – 1938 The first laminated ski is developed. As 18-layer ski Kneissl “Splitkein” it goes into production. Franz Kneissl I. travels to the USA to purchase Hickory directly in Memphis Tennesse. In the year 1936 20.000 pairs of skis are produced

1945 Death of Franz Kneissl I.

1946 After the war Franz Kneissl II. takes over the company and continues the business with 3 employees

1948 Participation at the Olympic Winter Games in St. Moritz with the “One Man Team Engele-Haider”

1950 Kneissl introduces the first multi-coloured ski to the market. With 4 colours it marks a new standard in design. Kneissl becomes the most successful ski brand at the Ski World Championship in Aspen, with 3 out of 6 possible gold medals. At the beginning of the 1950s almost the whole Austrian National Team rides on Kneissl skis

1960 The first synthetic ski with a wooden core is developed – the Kneissl “White Star” becomes a legend in the skiing world – a technological milestone in the whole skiing industry

1967 In Japan a Kneissl Cup is implemented. Participation is only possible for skiers riding on Kneissl skis – right at the first race more than 150 participants start

1969 Opening of the next Kneissl factory by its Highness Prince Karim Khan

1974 The hour of birth of the Kneissl sportswear collection due to the taking over of the sportswear company “Sportalm” Kitzbühel. For the first time a skiing company produces and sells sportswear under its own brand – the Kneissl Star and Logo. Production of fully synthetic alpine skis, nordic skis and jumping skis as a further technological step

1975 Kneissl is the most successful brand at the Nordic Ski World Championship in Falun. This impressively proves the breakthrough of the new technology in ski production

1978 Kneissl develops the first fully synthetic tennis racket “White Star Pro”, a real “silver bullet”

1980 Ivan Lendl becomes ATP player of the year and plays Wimbledon Finals with the Kneissl “White Star”. At the Olympic Winter Games in Lake Placid 27 medals are won on Kneissl skis, 11 out of those are gold medals. After the return from the Olympic Games the company has to declare bankruptcy

1981 The German Crosscountry-Ski manufacturer Trak becomes controlling shareholder

1982 Kneissl manufactures tennis rackets for Puma under the brand Puma

1989 Takeover of the company by a group of Austrian investors around Erhard Grossnigg and Hans Peter Haselsteiner

1990 Kneissl develops the “BIG FOOT”. It revolutionizes the winter sports market and is known as the main incentive for the carving ski

1991 Kneissl and Dachstein are combined together into the “Kneissl Dachstein Sportartikel AG”

1992 Kneissl develops the first carving ski “Kneissl ERGO”. The “ERGO” gets the ski market out of its depression and provides the skier with a whole new skiing experience. Techniqe, image and attraction of the ski sport are sustainably changed, the ski sport is revived. The “BIG FOOT” becomes the world’s most sold winter sport product.

1994 Death of Franz Kneissl II.

1996 Kneissl takes over the brands Raichle and Dynafit

1998 Renamed to Kneissl & Friends. The red star accompanies as strongest brand Raichle, Dachstein, Dynafit and Deeluxe as a family brand

2003 The company group is restructured and the ski boot segment and its brands are sold. A Tyrolen investor group takes over the company, secures the founding location in Kufstein and puts a focus on the core competences of the company with development and manufacturing of skis of the highest quality

http://www.kneissl.com/en/company/history/

In a recent (German) ski test of 18 skis the "Kneisel free star" come out top along with the "Volkl Mantra" and "Blizzard Sport Titan Cronus IQ".

http://www.testberichte.de/p/kneissl-tests/free-star-testbericht.html
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for that history of Kneissl, brilliant.

I have a pair of Kneissl's that were my wife’s when she was a girl (Now 4Cool now screwed to my shed, (the skis, not my wife! Laughing ) so circa 1967/8. They are one piece solid wood with screwed on edges, and were painted red, but I stripped them back and varnished them.

I remember skiing in Söll, Austria in the early eighties and most of the local instructors were on Kneissl 'White Stars', so therefore wanted some (but never did get some.) I think it may have been that many instructors had been given them, or bought them cheaply through club racing etc. and Kneissl knowing that holidaymakers always looked to see what their instructors were on.

I remember the 'Ergo's coming in and everyone in the know saying 'all skis will be like them soon' - how right they were. Except that if you look at a pair of Ergos now, they almost don't look like carving skis at all because carvers have become so much more extreme over the years.

It seems a shame when a company is innovative and successful in the products they make, but ultimately, less successful as a business. Let’s hope they do well in the future.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
And for the more discriminating snowHead :

http://www.kneissl-luxury.com/
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
comprex wrote:
And for the more discriminating snowHead :

http://www.kneissl-luxury.com/

"Kneissl luxury tops sales in 2009/10 season as Russian women queue for days to buy a pair"

You read it here first! Little Angel
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just thought I would pass on to all those interested that Kneissl are now in the UK, the UK distributor www.snow-motion.co.uk is now taking orders for the 2010/11 season skis, equipment and clothing as well as the Kniessl summer season items tennis rackets and mountain bikes.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bought both the Black Stars & Red Stars last season. Used both and, WOW. Really like them both. The Red Stars are rock hard, stiff, piste, slolom racing ski. Short turns & will carve on groomers & ICE well. The Black Stars are are more "lay back", more forgiving, all around, comfortable ski. If you want to strut your stuff and put effort in to it, Red Star is it. If you want to just cruze & strut, then Black Star. I am retired, went to high school in Austria and began skiing on White Star Racing skis. I have been looking for Kneissls for several years and finally discovered where I could get them. I was sooo...surprised I had to get both of them. I would have purchase the White Stars as well, but couldn't afford all 3 at the same time. Maybe this season. Find them, buy them and you will love them. Enjoy. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Ud1,

Old thread resurrection but welcome to Snowheads and def the place to find out about Kneissl skis in the UK.
Tim has posted on this site and has good ties with Snowheads ( the skis are available to try at most if not all Snowhead demo events). The EoSB is a great chance to try the range out properly.

The red star are not as stiff or unforgiving as the white stars and will cruise all day long if you have reasonably good technique. There are reviews on the range by Snowheads here.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/skibase.php?skibrand=Kneissl
snow conditions
Right you are. The White Stars, my favorite of all the Kneissls, is the most outstanding ski on ice that I have ever experienced. The Red Stars are a great slalom ski and the Black Stars a great all around cruzer.
latest report
The once grande, fully revered marque has sadly been bounced around with several owners and distribution. Aside from skis they had other product, too. But I only think of their skis. They're still being made as per the info above and I wish them well. In the US their distributor deep sixed them via sheer indifference. Anyone who has been on them loves them. I wish the brand would make a come back in this impossibly difficult market of multi-brand and mega corporations.

Now, as to Blossom............................................
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy